May 16, 2021, 02:27:07 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dock prices dropped to 1975 level?  (Read 9308 times)
Black Irish

Ignore
« on: December 15, 2004, 01:36:23 PM »

Click on the below link, scroll down the page to the lower right side for a link to the video. I'm fuming Angry Angry Angry. Who's making all the money on crabs? It sure ain't the waterman  Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Why is a bushel of #1's still over $100?

http://www.wboc.com/
ran_c

got crabs?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 07:32:32 PM »

right now just days before christmas all we are getting is .85 lb for #1's(about $34 a bushel). it really bad and most people are just switching to finfishing or other things. for factory crabs they were paying around .35 lb about a week ago but i refuse to sell crabs that low. since then #2's have raised to .65 lb. #1's are usually worth double #2's which should make them about $1.30. it won't be long before the only way you will eat crabs is if you catch them yourself cause there will be no more commercial crabbers Cry

if love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?
mikesr

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 10:21:10 PM »

That is a dawg gone shame.  I saw the WBOC report.  Can't get it.  Our commercial guys should be reaping the reward of the prices being charged at market any point of the year.  That is why I go to my local guy to buy crabs off the dock for cash when I need.  Flip the middle man.  It burns me up to see the "local retail fish monger" getting X amount $$$ for a bushel/ dozen while the real local commercial guys are getting -Y. Huh Roll Eyes What the?? Angry

BI and ran_c,   Where is the competition coming from to drive down the prices? Huh

If it is out of this country than we need to take a stand and let our position be known to the local/federal politicians and marketeers Sad!
ran_c

got crabs?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 10:58:12 PM »

yes the imported crab meat from venezuala is putting the picking plants out of business. i know of a truck that was coming through louisiana that had venezualan meat on it. at one time they were selling claw for $2.25 a lb. and i have seen it and ate it and it is just as good a product as domestic. there is no restaurant that is gonna pay $2-$3.00 more for domestic. also, there are alot of foriegn softshells hitting the market and thats driving down their price as well. we are getting an anti-dumping lawsuit going and have been in touch with the crab producing states. now it's about coming up with the money to pay for the lawyers. we need about 3 million to fight this and we are gonna charge an extra $40-$50 on our commercial crab licenses this year. we have 3500 crab licenses here. we will need help from texas, mississippi, alabama, florida, georgia, the carolina's, virginia, and maryland. if we can get the tariffs like the shrimpers recieved we will be in much better shape in about 4 years.

mikesr

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 10:08:37 PM »

ran_c  

Sounds like NAFTA at its best.  If you know please tell me the group/PAC that got the shrimp tariff off the ground to help them.  This should have been addressed awhile ago for commercial shellfishermen. Congressman Saxton from NJ will be hearing from me because the congressional deligation from Delaware ain't to watermen friendly.

3 mill for lawyers Shocked Angry Angry Lips Sealed
Lawyers/Congressmen = More of the same. Angry

ran_c

got crabs?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 09:16:42 AM »

i don't know the name of the group but i think i know someone who does. we have tried to get as many processors and docks and crabbers to back this suit. so far catfish, crawfish, and shrimp have all won tariff rulings. we are the last to try and get it passed. here is vince guillory's e-mail. he is head guy over the blue crab fishery here.

mailto:[email protected]

we need to get the word out to as many people as possible and get this moving. also, anyone who can get politicians behind us would be great. thanks for any help you can provide.

Steve
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 12:18:06 PM »

You will want to contact the NCWA regarding your lawsuit. They have a lot of information about the crab imports on their website:

http://www.ncwaterman.com/crabs/
mikesr

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 12:56:28 PM »

Looks like the Asian market is creating most of the havoc.
ran_c

got crabs?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2004, 08:15:08 PM »

the asian crabmeat affects the price of pasterized meat. venezuala ships fresh meat and that affects  the price of fresh.

mrscharms
Lifetime Member

I REALLY LOVE crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2004, 08:05:03 PM »

Wow...that sucks!!!!  Good luck with your fight!!  
Janice

DocSmith

Proud of what I stand for; Careful what I fall for

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2004, 08:35:41 PM »

Ran -

How can Venezuela ship fresh crab meat?  Do they ship whole crabs?  I thought crab meat had to be cooked before it was picked.  'Splain yo self!

On the other hand, what would it cost for you to ship me a bushel of #1 jimmies this week or so?  How do you ship them? Mike Jr. is coming home for the holidays and my 5 pots aren't up to the requirement!  Most of the retail blue crab suppliers around here were devastated by Ivan - my commercial guy was completely wiped out.

Also, do you know anything about Lake Ponchatrain blue crabs?  They are always huge when I get them at Kenner Seafood in New Orleans.

Cool Doc

The Cruelest Creature's the Crab, with Pinchers that can Cut you and Stab! And Then, when you Dine on Crab and White Wine, it's Murder when you Pick Up The Tab!
ran_c

got crabs?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2004, 12:49:04 AM »

i don't ship crabs.....but some of my buyers ship to maryland. i think they only sell to retail outlets. as for the pontchatrain crabs....i have never seen them in person but heard lots of good reports on thier crabs. i would think thier estuary would closely resemble chesapeake bay. they catch very few females....lots of big jimmies and most of the busters are males as well. as for the fresh meat....when i say fresh i mean not frozen and not pasterized. they cook it and put it in the one pound tubs and put them in a little styrofoam ice chest that will hold 24. it is well iced and comes by plane to miami. from there it's loaded on an 18 wheeler and they hit I10 and drop off all the way to at least houston and i'm sure there are others headed to the east coast. they went as low as 2.00-2.50 for claw this year but i was told that if need be they can go lower than 2.00 lb. but thier jumbo lump is always about $1-$2 a lb higher than domestic.....really big lump.

Steve
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2004, 10:18:17 AM »

I'm assuming that the crab meat from Venezuela is genuine blue crab meat (Callinectes sapidus). That would explain why it tastes so good. The crab meat from Asia is from an entirely different species (Portunus pelagicus) and does taste slightly different when eaten straight from the can, but is indistinguishible when used in a crab recipe (crab cakes, dip, etc.)
ran_c

got crabs?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2004, 08:48:24 PM »

they call them blue swimming crab. it is close to a blue crab but has a more oval top shell. you can even find cleaned crabs at walmart here that are from venezuala.....nothing is left untouched....crabmeat, softshells, cleaned crabs....they want to corner the whole market.

Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2004, 08:54:54 AM »

Thanks everyone for the replies. But the question still remains... why is the waterman getting screwed when the retail price of a bushel is so high? The middleman or middlemen are marking them WAYYYYY up! Angry The guy who is out there everyday, breaking his/her back in the hot sun is getting $40-$85 for a bushel of #1 jimmies while the people marketing the catch are selling them for $125-?Huh. Angry

Anybody interested in starting a retail crab business?

mikesr

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2004, 01:20:28 PM »

BI   You have the answer.  Middleman!  That is where the mark up comes with any product in any market.  The crabbers sell wholesale not retail.  
     That is the way I feel when I sell my traps/pots. I charge one price and see the tackle shop owner sell it for double.  
     Cut out the middle or sell direct and you increase your bottom line.  Sounds like the commercial crabbers need to increase that price per bushel but at the risk of loosing a vendor(middleman) and getting stuck with a days catch.  Ain't marketing great!
  Some Maine lobstermen sell direct to compete with low dock prices and cut out the middle.  Livelob.com is an example of just that type of approach.  Cut the middle Cool
3D

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2004, 11:48:14 AM »

Looks like the Asian market is creating most of the havoc.

That's a surprise....I have to admit Saxton has been pretty good to us here in NJ
mikesr

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2004, 03:21:22 PM »

Saxton is good for the region also.  He is good.  Wish we had someone like that in Del.  Roth was the last for us.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home