December 16, 2019, 02:02:08 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Crabs in Hoboken, Bayonne ,surrounding areas?  (Read 10586 times)
babbagene

Ignore
« on: July 10, 2009, 02:01:53 AM »

Any Crabs in Hoboken, Bayonne ,surrounding areas?
illzayagin

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 06:36:59 AM »

in the Hoboken park pier, plenty of crabs there. located in riverroad behind the twin buildings.
nadapesca

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 09:04:54 AM »

Check and make sure it's not part of the Newark Bay complex as it is illegal to harvest any crabs in those waters.
illzayagin

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 09:16:56 AM »

it is not and local people had harvest them for years...all healthy
CT crabby crabber

Automobile?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 02:28:56 PM »

Try the east side of Bayonne (New York Bay). eitehr down by the Global terminal or by the golf course. I KNOW there is good crabbing there now. You have to be there during incoming tide. Dead low (NO WATER)

I got a bushel of crabs. Know what I used for bait?

A hundred dollar bill Smiley

jerseypete

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 07:05:48 PM »

ct crabby crabber

ah,memories
i miss the old millions

every good crabber needs a master baiter
CT crabby crabber

Automobile?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 07:40:58 PM »

Kevin can't leave, we've got the crabs. NO WE DON'T!!!!!

laugh laugh laugh laugh

I got a bushel of crabs. Know what I used for bait?

A hundred dollar bill Smiley
aman

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 08:34:42 AM »

There's no polite way to put this so I'll just tell you. DO NOT EAT CRABS FROM THAT AREA! And regardless what any advisory says!
nadapesca

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 02:13:09 PM »

There's no polite way to put this so I'll just tell you. DO NOT EAT CRABS FROM THAT AREA! And regardless what any advisory says!

You're wasting your energy. Check my old posts on the subject. Everyone of these sharpies has an uncle who ate crabs from the Newark Bay complex their whole life and were perfectly healthy. So Aman, with that empirical evidence, why wouldn't you just jump in and get some yourself? After all, uncle Tommy's cancer ran in his family, you know. Had nuttin' to do wid the food, air, or water.
Redgoalie

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 02:34:40 PM »

DUDE!  Don't do it!!!  Don't eat those crabs!  I live in Jersey City - within WALKING distance of Newark Bay, and I LOVE crabbing!  Not even I will take a chance on it, and that's saying something!  Last weekend I drove 2 hours south in order to get out of the Newark Bay area to get healthy crabs.

Please - don't eat those crabs.  I will take pictures of some of the warning signs posted and try to get them up here.  They talk about PCB's, mercury and all kinds of other cancer causing stuff.  Aside from that, if you look at the water you'll see reason enough not to trust anything from there with your own eyes.  The pollution is astounding, especially on the JC/Bayonne side, ditrectly across from Newark Airport.  The amount of garbage in the water is incredible.

nadapesca

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 02:41:46 PM »

DUDE!  Don't do it!!!  Don't eat those crabs!  I live in Jersey City - within WALKING distance of Newark Bay, and I LOVE crabbing!  Not even I will take a chance on it, and that's saying something!  Last weekend I drove 2 hours south in order to get out of the Newark Bay area to get healthy crabs.

Please - don't eat those crabs.  I will take pictures of some of the warning signs posted and try to get them up here.  They talk about PCB's, mercury and all kinds of other cancer causing stuff.  Aside from that, if you look at the water you'll see reason enough not to trust anything from there with your own eyes.  The pollution is astounding, especially on the JC/Bayonne side, ditrectly across from Newark Airport.  The amount of garbage in the water is incredible.

Christ, glad somebody up there actually thinks!

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/dsr/fishadvisories/fish-i-fish.htm#red

For the thinking angler/crabber.
nadapesca

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 02:58:13 PM »

One other thing that I didn't add. A friend of mine works for a state agency and helps tabulate cancer stats in NJ. The rate of CA in northern NJ is very high compared to other areas, the rate is even higher for Spanish speaking folks who historically have eaten crabs from the Newark Bay complex. That is actually an investigated fact. Why Spanish speakers? Didn't read the signs. You might theorize that it's them and not you, but when such illness bankrupts a working class family, who picks up the bill eventually? The state. And you my dioxin eating friends, are the State. Taxes in Jersey are high and higher and providing health care to the ignorant doesn't help. My grandfather died at 94 years of age. Smoked unfiltered cigarettes for some of his youth and most of his adult life. He quit after pneumonia at 88 or 90 or something like that.
Shouldn't we incorporate that true story into some of the antismoking matter, just for a fair and balanced story? [dang], why'd I quit anyway? Didn't seem to bother gramp!
Captain Crabapple

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 02:37:32 PM »

I heard that it's easiest to catch crabs on Thursday night in Hoboken.  I heard they don't like bunker nearly as much as a full wallet Tongue
ProCrabz

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 02:44:57 PM »

eat the crabs in Newark if you want your kids to be born with 2 heads, 18 fingers, and 27 toes. 
oregonian

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »

hoboken and jc in the hudson i have been eating crab caught from the gw bridge all the way to jc. there are no advisorys against it

man i miss the dungeness

mrharleyguy2u

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 05:33:58 PM »

I'm pretty sure the RED area in that link does encompass the Hudson......The Newark Bay Complex....  I would not eat em..

bigriver

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 05:58:53 PM »

i live in south river. i can drive 3 minutes, and catch a bucket full of big males in about an hour. but i won't touch them. do not eat crabs from this area. now someone told me if u clean them alive, you remove the toxins with the guts. then they are safe to eat. i'm still not risking it
tater_nutz

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 09:58:16 PM »

went crabbing in Weehawken yesterday and took home 5 males between 5-7 inches
nadapesca

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 08:30:44 AM »

i live in south river. i can drive 3 minutes, and catch a bucket full of big males in about an hour. but i won't touch them. do not eat crabs from this area. now someone told me if u clean them alive, you remove the toxins with the guts. then they are safe to eat. i'm still not risking it

You are safer, but not safe. The hepatopancreas stores much of the toxic products. Some does wind it's way into the meat but at very low levels as compared to the HP. Same with bluefish. Lots of toxins stored in the fat, which is mainly the lateral areas of the filet. Cut that off and most, but not all, of the garbage is gone. I clean the crabs live, and even if the HP weren't an issue, they just taste better to me.
BIGCRABCT

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2009, 05:42:52 AM »

i grew up in that area of jersey.we used to crab the hackensack river,right off the belleville pike in kearney.but back then in the 1980's there were no advisories or signs.it was 1 of my favorite spots.i must have eaten hundreds,if not thousands of crabs from there over the years.since they put up the signs all along that area i wouldn't risk eating any more from there.if you ask me its worth the extra gas and driving time to take a ride down to barnegat bay just to be safe.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home