September 16, 2019, 08:27:00 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: stuck peeler w/pics  (Read 5073 times)
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2009, 09:09:29 AM »

here is a pic of what is happening and what happens after...lol  why does dirty water make their faces stick??

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 09:11:06 AM »

and I dont see any new lungs when this happens as well....the good shed ones left their old lungs in the old shell...and have new ones...where are the lungs on these??  not formed yet??

rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 10:57:45 AM »

the lungs haven't backed out yet, there fully formed before they start shedding. these crabs aren't stuck there dying in the last stages due to the energy it takes and the low quality of the water. the poor water quality is due to the wastein the water from the crabs,it builds up quick. bottom line more water - bigger system and bio-filter which lets bacteria build up on surfaces,oyster shells is what i use, the bacteria eats the waste. rid -x will establish a bacteria colony.
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 11:17:53 PM »

yeah I have had fresh aquariums for years so I understand the bacteria thing..I use cycle..I just didnt think it would get dirty that quick...The water is crystal clear..I guess the nitrogen levels are high..I am also using tap water...I have no access to saltwater everyday.I will be set up for it by next year.Wink

flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 11:19:07 PM »

and why are they so healthy looking until the point of the molt...they swim around and are very lively??

Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 11:30:19 PM »

Have you sterilized your tanks since the dying has begun? I would try a mix of Bleach and Water to kill any bacteria or organisms that might be living on the tank itself and will infest the new water.

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Captain A. G. Lamplugh
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 06:58:36 AM »

Have you sterilized your tanks since the dying has begun? I would try a mix of Bleach and Water to kill any bacteria or organisms that might be living on the tank itself and will infest the new water.
I wouldn't,bleach will kill what good bacteria that has formed.Tap water already has bleach in it.

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 04:16:15 PM »

here is a pic of what is happening and what happens after...lol  why does dirty water make their faces stick??

In reality, their "faces" don't stick - the first thing that has to come out after the shell busts open is the backfins/swimmers. If you watch closely, you can see the crab moving the backfins every few seconds trying to work them out. If they can't get the backfins out, they will die as in your pics. On occasion you can help the crab by gently pulling the new backfins out of the old shell. Even if you break the new backfin off while trying to pull it loose, some of the crabs will continue to slough and will live.
chilly1

Chilly's got crabs!!! Ask anybody....

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 04:19:39 PM »

I bet she'll still catch fish.....

Chilly 1   Halethorpe, Md
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 04:24:20 PM »

In reality, their "faces" don't stick - the first thing that has to come out after the shell busts open is the backfins/swimmers. If you watch closely, you can see the crab moving the backfins every few seconds trying to work them out. If they can't get the backfins out, they will die as in your pics. On occasion you can help the crab by gently pulling the new backfins out of the old shell. Even if you break the new backfin off while trying to pull it loose, some of the crabs will continue to slough and will live.

thanks !! no one ever mentioned that  Wink

Crabcruncher

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 01:24:39 AM »

A half bucket of water carried back from the place you caught the peeler will last long enough to sluff your peeler if you have an aerator running continuously. If you dont use aeration, fifty percent will get stuck backing out. Do not add tap water. I use buckets with screw on lids to keep water from splashing out on ride back.

Cc

Say brother....can you spare a crab...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home