December 08, 2019, 03:24:25 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I want to know  (Read 11145 times)
renduke

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2008, 10:35:40 AM »

I have read many posts here that say moon cycles do or do not have anything to do with soft shells.

BUT one of my observations here on long island has been that when i get soft shells it is almost ALWAYS in sept and Almost never in June or JULY.....I am also a recreational crabber who only gets out about 10 or 12 times per season.
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 11:42:35 AM »

So what do you want to know?

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
Potty Mouth
Lifetime Member

Location: Still, somewhere 'tween the steampot and the cooler

Whatever... SSDD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 03:40:26 PM »

Same thing happens here.  End of the season, seems like you see more red hot peelers as the crabs get one last chance to slough feed and fatten up again before heading down... but,  Roll Eyes  yeah, what is the question... seems more of an accurate observation... the moon part of your comment... well, let's just say don't get these folks started on that topic again  laugh

"Not all that can be counted, counts. And not all that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 05:40:19 PM »

Well........... again it happened this year,peelers ran on the quarter moon and shed hard between it and the full moon.I don't know but my books show it every year in Sept.

- John Wayne
renduke

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 09:12:53 PM »

i guess my question is that softies seem to be more abdunent late in the year....and that moon cycles are less importent....I never get softies in june or july but get them about 1 or 2 per dozen in sept.

R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 10:21:20 PM »

Thats just because thats when your shedding season is,everything has a season and it's different in different places,to some of us the moon is VERY important but for some it's not.

- John Wayne
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 07:27:36 AM »

First full/new moon in May is our biggest peeler run.  Usually it's around the 3rd week.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
DipNSip

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 08:30:20 AM »

Oh pinchy where are you???
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 09:08:17 AM »

Oh pinchy where are you???
GONE.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
renduke

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 05:35:54 PM »

Thats just because thats when your shedding season is,everything has a season and it's different in different places,to some of us the moon is VERY important but for some it's not.

Thanks for the help/answer....like i said i am a recreational crabber from long island i get out 8 to 12 times per season.....our season is early june till about mid sept.......your answer seems to make a lot of sense since this as been a consistent pattern over just about every year i crab..........I know the weather is a LOT warmer in Florida....what happens down there in terms of patterns if any ?

Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 07:37:33 PM »

Thanks for the help/answer....like i said i am a recreational crabber from long island i get out 8 to 12 times per season.....our season is early june till about mid sept.......your answer seems to make a lot of sense since this as been a consistent pattern over just about every year i crab..........I know the weather is a LOT warmer in Florida....what happens down there in terms of patterns if any ?

As a recreational crabber in NY, what type of gear do you use?  Ripe peelers don't eat, so you won't catch them on a trotline or other bait. If you have pots, they will go there for shelter to shed. Most recreational crabbers here catch them as the female of a "doubler", because the male is carrying the ripe female waiting for her to shed so they can mate. In the mean time, he is still hungry so he will get on a trotline or in a trap and take the female with him. This behavior usually happens most frequently during late July thru mid Sept - hence, most of the rec catch occurs during that time frame. After she sheds and they mate, the male will continue to carry her until her shell is hard enough for her to go on her own. So, some "doublers" have a female softshell or papershell instead of a ripe peeler.
chesapeak

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 10:30:25 PM »

Great informative post Mikie. Thanks

I love the late summer and fall. We are over the hump now. Things start to slow down. The vacationers start to leave and traffic starts getting back to normal. The ducks are going to be coming in and the crabs are the biggest and heaviest of the year.
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 10:54:15 PM »

I can count on the quarter moon aropund the first of March to start our first peeler run and the quarter moon around the first of Sept to start our fall peeler run,blue crab season  starts on Jan 1st and ends on Dec 31st.  Grin

- John Wayne
renduke

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 06:10:41 PM »

As a recreational crabber in NY, what type of gear do you use?  Ripe peelers don't eat, so you won't catch them on a trotline or other bait. If you have pots, they will go there for shelter to shed. Most recreational crabbers here catch them as the female of a "doubler", because the male is carrying the ripe female waiting for her to shed so they can mate. In the mean time, he is still hungry so he will get on a trotline or in a trap and take the female with him. This behavior usually happens most frequently during late July thru mid Sept - hence, most of the rec catch occurs during that time frame. After she sheds and they mate, the male will continue to carry her until her shell is hard enough for her to go on her own. So, some "doublers" have a female softshell or papershell instead of a ripe peeler.

at this time of year i usally get em with a scoop....sometimes in a trap.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 09:27:05 AM »

I am still getting peelers but they have stopped busting.  Havn't had a peeler bust in over a week.  Guess it is time for things to start slowing down.  Cry

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

CrabmanC27C

"Never seen a blue crab!just the red ones"

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 11:31:32 PM »

i would think peelin in the moonlight a bafd idea,if i was a crab.jmo.lets see what the harvest moon brings. Smiley

"Music is the sigh of the oppressed masses,It is the heart in a heartless world"~Bill Graham~
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 12:18:41 AM »

Thats when they like to do it best though,don't know why.

- John Wayne
ramblin man

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 09:48:32 PM »

they do it at night for protection. by morning the are papery and a little safe. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home