July 09, 2020, 04:08:25 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to crab on chincoteague  (Read 6683 times)
the oats

Ignore
« on: July 27, 2009, 09:35:20 AM »

We have a permanent site on the island and go every weekend, my question is WHERE ARE THE CRABS??? We have a boat but can't seem to find a productive spot. I would like to be able to get a bushel full. It seems like the big potters have taken over. We have put a big pot out but had it stolen 3 times  Angry Any suggestions?
Annandale

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 11:38:17 AM »

I don't have a boat but I always catch a bushel at Chincoteague using handlines and traps when I go out there.  I park at McDonalds on the way to Assateague National Park and walk towards the bridge and crab there.  When the tide is strong, the left side of the bridge is good while during normal conditions the right side works well too.  We've been going every weekend and have had no problems filling a bushel with 3-4 people, crabbing 4-5 hours.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 02:40:12 PM »

We have a permanent site on the island and go every weekend, my question is WHERE ARE THE CRABS??? We have a boat but can't seem to find a productive spot. I would like to be able to get a bushel full. It seems like the big potters have taken over. We have put a big pot out but had it stolen 3 times  Angry Any suggestions?
Do you have rebar on them?  Large mesh pots need 1/2 inch frames over that side to keep from rolling up on themselves..  Also, the VMRC is quick to take a Rec pot that doesn't have the right culling rings/equipment.  You can pretty much bet that the crabs are where the comm. pots are.  Wink

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
the oats

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 02:51:43 PM »

We've been at that bridge area you're talking about and got some with hand lines and we also have crabbed off the boat in the general vicinity using hand lines. 3 weeks ago we did really good but the last two weeks have stunk. Yes we do have the right kind of pots and everything. We talked to the marine police on day and they said that the guys with the line of pots do cut them and steal them but they are hard to catch. We've also crabbed at the ditch on the way to the beach and done well but the ditch crabs seem a little different then the bay crabs. Do you crab anywhere on Chincoteague bay? I guess I'm expecting them to be plentiful at this time of year. I heard 3 mouths is supposed to be good.
the oats

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 02:54:48 PM »

Are you a commercial crabber Jack? My nephew works the waters in N.C. Do you know how you go about getting jobs on the boats around there, my son would love that. I know the money isn't the best though.

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 06:56:17 PM »

Are you a commercial crabber Jack? My nephew works the waters in N.C. Do you know how you go about getting jobs on the boats around there, my son would love that. I know the money isn't the best though.
No.  I have no desire to work that hard for the little money they make.  Been there, tried it.  Not for me.....  As far as jobs go, just ask the Captains they are always looking for help. 300 pots on a 80 degree+ morning, no breeze... Starting at 0500...   Most kids today wouldn't make it a day....... Even the kids grown up down here won't do it...  L, I can't even find kids that will pack boxes in airconditioning..... Sad

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
the oats

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 08:54:12 PM »

That's a shame, I guess a lot of kids today aren't used to hard work or work in general. I've told my kids since they've been little, "that's why they call it work and not play".  We'll see what happens with the crabbing when we try 2 weeks from now (we have other commitments this weekend Embarassed), I'm learning some new tricks on here to try. One of these days we'll get to live on the island permanently and maybe find the good spots. Thanks
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 06:26:32 PM »

I remember getting a bushel off daiseys dockside's pier when i was a kid..maybe try a pier on the bayside.

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
the oats

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 09:36:39 AM »

You don't live far from us, we live in Etters, but hope to move to the island permanently as soon as my husband can find a job. We have a place in Tom's Cove. In response, we want to crab from our boat though. One question I have is: growing up we always crabbed along the edges in shallow water, now I'm reading that people think it's better to crab in deeper water. Is that the case? People have pots in the areas where we try. Areas where our 3 pots were taken. Sad Did you ever hear of 3 mouths? it's hard to take a boat in there, gets pretty shallow.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home