October 18, 2021, 01:33:44 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oak Island, Long Beach, Southport Crabbing, and trap/trotline info  (Read 4158 times)
funkmd26

« on: August 21, 2009, 08:05:12 PM »

Hey all,

First post!

My buddy and I are coming down for a few days with our families to spend the week on Oak Island and we are wondering if anyone knows if crabs run in or around there.  This is also a change for us as we always use a 1200ft trotline in MD, and hardly ever use traps.  What do you recommend, or what's the NC style you all prefer?  Ring, Box, Pyramid?  Also, is my information correct that you can only use 100ft of trotline and two traps?

This could just be a difference in crab behavior or crabbing style between MD, and NC.
Who knows?  I know I don't.
I can tell you how we crab though, and maybe you can help us adapt.
For Example:
We bait with Chicken necks one about every 4-5 foot attached to a 4-5 in bungee that hangs the neck down from the line.
We usually drop the trotline, let it soak about 5-8 minutes, then start making passes on it returning back to the start at a leisurely pace to let the line rest a bit; each time can vary from 12 crabs to 3, it all depends on how they are running. At other times we speed back when the crabs are REALLY hitting and can get 1-2 bushels in 2 hours.  Today we had high seas with whitecaps and netted a bushel in about 5 hours YUCK!  I still feel like I'm on the boat.  Good news is we netted an absolute monster, could be 9in, i will post a picture as soon as I can as well  Smiley

How do you plan and pace your drops and pulls, and what can we expect?
What kind of bait do you prefer?
Do you bag bait with something saucy in the trap to bring more in at a time?

Any and all info is much appreciated.
Thanks a ton

-Funk

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home