December 14, 2019, 07:48:21 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I just joined this site.. Have a few ?'s bout south jersey crabbin  (Read 2484 times)
Caveman86

Ignore
« on: March 02, 2010, 08:55:11 PM »

Hi my name is Chris. again im new to this site. I live in south jersey about an hour west of ocean city. Just wanted to know when is the best time to start crabbin?..last july i went crabbin in LBI and everything we caught was small. This year i wanted to start crabbing often in the ocean city or LBI area wherever is better. Also wanted to know if anyone knows how to make homemade crab cages using supplies from a local homedepot or lowes..if not ill just buy a few more cages..i got 3 right now i bought in LBI. If anyone could please just message or email me about when to start crabbing or how to make cages i would really appreciate it.. Thanks alot Guys look forward to talkin n sharing stories on this site
mdjohn

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 08:58:59 PM »

hello and welcome

not to be smart but

you didn't join this site, you are a registered user not a member  Wink Grin Grin

do a search and shop around a little bit and get to know a few folks

hello and welcome  Grin Grin Grin
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 09:01:25 PM »

WELCOME , the crabs won't really start untill the water temps go up . as far as making traps there is allot of info on here , yoiu will have to do a search to find it  . good luck and have a GREAT season.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 09:24:36 PM by tattoo » Logged

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Mutzy crab man
Lifetime Member

9-1/8th 7-31-08 Wye

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 09:13:16 PM »

welcome

Go to the top of the page and do a search.........It's all there

Outta the river an into my pot...FUHGEDDABOUDIT..
Caveman86

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 10:29:48 PM »

sorry about that.. guess i didnt read through everything. i just made donation to become a member for 1yr

Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 11:57:14 PM »

Thank You and Welcome - in Pa here so sorry no can help - but Thanks for joining..........You just proved it's so easy a Caveman can do it. Grin thumbsup

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Captain A. G. Lamplugh
ILLSWIMHOME
Lifetime Member

Shake N Bake

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 11:57:57 PM »

Watch the water temps.  June seems to be a good start.  I'm going to try April or May this year just to get out for a bit.  Cape May usually starts up first.  What kind of traps are you looking to make and how many? 

Crab on!
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 08:44:36 AM »

Beasleys Point Power Plant is typically the place to be early in the season when the crabs aren't yet moving anywhere else.

Blue Crab Advisor to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council

11th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 26 & 27th, 2020
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
MagnumTRex
Lifetime Member

TOMCAT IV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 04:54:36 PM »

Do you have a boat, rent, or crab from shore?  I start late April in the back creeks by boat and, though slow, it gets me out of the house.  I started to go down the path of making traps but, for small quantities getting the right materials it's almost as expensive as buying them. 
marknut

Full to the brim

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 04:55:10 PM »

Crabs small in LBI?  Sounds alittle farfetched.  I live right near there and we do very well out in Barnegat and Manahawkin Bay.  Just have to know the right spots to go I guess.  But if you are looking  for help this site benifets a lot.  There pretty much isnt any question you cant ask that some good person from here cant help you with.     Again Welcome To BCA and good luck this season

jefftoleft
In Memoriam 02/2017
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 05:24:51 PM »

Welcome to the BCA you can also go to the bottom of any page and there is a picture of a small blue crab if you click on that it will open a whole world of info hope you enjoy  Wink Wink

You will always catch more crabs with a DOT.NET than a DOT.COM
phillyfireman
Lifetime Member

love crabbing and elk hunting

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 06:38:23 PM »

Welcome aboard !!  This site has something for the beginner, avid rec crabber and commercial.   I would suggest to purchase some topless traps from some of the sites sponsors. Do both a search on both here and google earth on the navasink river. Crabbing is generally good there in July. there are two rental boat places there. That should keep you in crabs this summer,til you venture in other areas.

You said you just made a donation, trust me it's money well spent. Now start doing some research using the search feature and get to know the site intimately. It was this site(the people on it) that took me from a casual crabber to a pretty competent chicken necker.

In addition to jersey, I also crab in Maryland and use my 30 traps and 1,000ft trottline.  any more questions just ask Smiley   NOW GET TO STUDYING !  Grin
Caveman86

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 08:47:11 PM »

thanks phillyfireman..what station you run with? Im a Volunteer Firefighter/EMT in burlington county,nj..and ive been doin my studyin here on the site. so far i do love it. theres so much information and everyone is a big help
phillyfireman
Lifetime Member

love crabbing and elk hunting

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 10:58:55 AM »

check your messages Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home