November 15, 2019, 12:31:49 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crabbing in Manasquan River vs. Shark River  (Read 8264 times)
Poker Face

Ignore
« on: August 29, 2009, 05:57:45 AM »

Hello, all.  I did a search and found some information, but wanted to post to get some feedback.  My wife and I are considering keeping our boat in either the Manasquan River or Shark River next year.  We are not hard-core fishermen or crabbers, but we like variety, so we chose the rivers for their accessability to the ocean.  My wife really enjoys crabbing in the Barnaget Bay, so I want to be sure wherever we choose has good places to crab.  Looking for pros and cons from people familier with each river.  Thanks in advance.
jason22
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 11:53:20 AM »

Shark River never has good reports.  Manasquan is better but if your going to head that far you mind as well head a little farther to the Good Luck Point Area.  Good Luck

"It is what it is"
jrccrab
Lifetime Member

Crabbing...Oh Yeah

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 11:57:36 AM »

I fish both inlets, my pick would be Manasquan plus you would be closer to Barneget bay. Also Belmar/Shark river is not known as a good crabbing spot & there slips for the season $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 12:00:13 PM by jrccrab » Logged
Poker Face

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 08:30:08 PM »

Actually, my dad and I went out of Good Luck Point my whole childhood, and that's where he introduced my wife to crabbing.  We went around Barnegat today looking for marinas there and found a nice spot if we decide to land there.  We're still trying to figure out exactly what we want and where we want to be.  I've heard the same about crabbing in Shark River...even from a marina owner there I spoke to today.  Gotta give him credit for being a stand-up guy and telling me straight.  Thanks for the replies.
Croydon76

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 09:35:51 AM »

IM SETTING UP SOME CRABBING TRIPS FOR THE MONTH OF AUGUST. I DON'T HAVE A BOAT. CAN ANYONE SUGGEST A GOOD DOCK TO GO OUT OF WITH REASONABLE PRICES.
CROYDON76 Undecided

Blue Claw Willy

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 06:23:07 PM »

Hey Poker Face
We have a boat that we keep at a Yacht Club in the Shark River. Growing up my whole life at the Jersey Shore I can tell you that Shark River really does not have good crabbing. There are some there and 2009 was one of the better years there, maybe 7 or 8 crabs a trip and all way in the back of the rivers at high tide. Manasquan is you better choice as i offers accessibility to the upper Barnaget Bay and down to Toms River.  Bayhead is also a good place.
I have been crabbing my whole life and found Sayreville, Morgan, Keyport and Red Bank to be very good spots. The crabs generally run bigger up there than down in Barnaget.
Good luck and full pots.
phillyfireman
Lifetime Member

love crabbing and elk hunting

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 09:07:48 PM »

Hey croyden give me a call this summer!   In jersey I prefer navasink Smiley  I just live 5 minutes from you.
johnproc

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 08:10:16 AM »

The Navasink was amazing last year - I'll be there quite a bit from August-October, and would be happy to share a boat rental with anyone.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home