December 01, 2021, 05:11:51 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: question about barometric pressure and crab fishing.  (Read 5489 times)
bigE

Ignore
« on: September 01, 2009, 08:05:32 PM »

I know from fishing for years that not much has as much control over fishes feeding habits as does barometric pressure. I have noticed over the last couple weeks that my crab numbers have been steadily growing. I semi-expected that from reading historical reports here and learning that fall is some of the best crabbing. However, day before yesterday, my numbers fell off in half across the board. Pots that had been getting 20 keepers every 24 hours dropped to a quarter that. It all happened right during/after the cold front that is presently moving across NC. Is this my culprit???And more importantly, will the numbers come back as I expect they will? Thanks in advance for any and all replies....E

Experience is something you get right after you need it most.
bigE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 01:36:44 PM »

Maybe I should have asked for a crabbing spot near BFE to get a response? No ideas?

Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 11:17:21 PM »

I am thinking we had some discussion on this a year or so ago and there was no real understanding either way. I think I was the one to bring the idea to the table.

I myself think a crab has some method of knowing depth which I would think is by pressure however I do not know this for sure. If it is indeed true that they can sense pressure change I would think atmospheric pressue change would at least have an effect that would drive them from deep to more shallow water or vise versa.

The question might be one with little supporting recorded data. I am all ears myself to hear more about it.

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Captain A. G. Lamplugh
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 03:16:14 AM »

I'm not sure that a definitive answer is available on this, but I'm pretty sure barometric pressure is sensed by marine life, not just crabs.  Fishing seems to be good right before a downhill weather change.

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 06:09:29 AM »

I'm not sure that a definitive answer is available on this, but I'm pretty sure barometric pressure is sensed by marine life, not just crabs.  Fishing seems to be good right before a downhill weather change.
I got one, YES.  Course I also believe the full moon affects things.  Stik that in your pipe and smoke it Pinchy... Where  is he anyway?  Grin

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 07:46:47 AM »

I got one, YES.  Course I also believe the full moon affects things.  Stik that in your pipe and smoke it Pinchy... Where  is he anyway?  Grin
stupid end

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
bigE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 08:24:19 PM »

Talked to another crabber in the river today and he said that the NE wind is what is killing us right now. He said that as long as the NE blows so will the crabbing. Looking at the forcast I see nothing but NE to NNE  for the next week solid  Sad

That said, I have always experienced the same as posted above....As the pressure drops heading into a storm system or front the fishing was gangbusters, but after the front had passed and the effected change moved in to stay, the fishing was terrible. It would take the pressure restabilizing and staying that way consistantly for a few days to get things going again. I will have to see if that pattern shows up with the crabs. Thanks for the replies and opinions.

Crabpot Man
Lifetime Member

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 08:58:52 PM »

Talked to another crabber in the river today and he said that the NE wind is what is killing us right now. He said that as long as the NE blows so will the crabbing. Looking at the forcast I see nothing but NE to NNE  for the next week solid  Sad

That said, I have always experienced the same as posted above....As the pressure drops heading into a storm system or front the fishing was gangbusters, but after the front had passed and the effected change moved in to stay, the fishing was terrible. It would take the pressure restabilizing and staying that way consistantly for a few days to get things going again. I will have to see if that pattern shows up with the crabs. Thanks for the replies and opinions.

In most parts of Eastern NC a NE wind brings the swamp water into the picture, crabs haul [arse].
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 09:01:31 PM »

In most parts of Eastern NC a NE wind brings the swamp water into the picture, crabs haul [arse].
What does it do the the crabs in Western NC  laugh laugh

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
Crabpot Man
Lifetime Member

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 09:07:40 PM »

What does it do the the crabs in Western NC  laugh laugh

Not sure, that guy lookin' for them in Winston-Salem hasn't reported back yet!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home