April 10, 2021, 08:20:48 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: licenses  (Read 11544 times)
Crabbyboy

« on: February 17, 2003, 11:34:13 AM »

I have waterfront property and two pots that i put out.  i have heard of a license that allows you to place four.  does anyone know about this?  Any information would be great. thanks......  Crabbyboy
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2003, 11:41:18 AM »

In Virginia you can have two pots "tied" to your pier.  If you have a fishing license for you boat, you can have two more.  Put the boat License number on the float.  Remeber you can not take crabs from your pots (the ones not tied to your pier) on Sundays.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
NJ Grasshopper

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2003, 01:37:19 PM »

Hey "CRABBYBOY" -

You don't say where you crab. In New Jersey you may only have two traps that you leave unattended per person/license. You may license your spouse, child etc..... but .... they must be in the boat/dock with you when you gather your crabs.

You can go on line and get your 'pot' license for only $2.00 at:

http://www.nj.gov/NJFish/

You don't need a license to hand net, or "chicken neck", (handline).

"I want to be in the Summer of '03" - New Jersey Grasshopper!
Crabbyboy

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2003, 02:33:32 PM »

Thanks a lot everybody.  that helps me out a lot!  I'm located on Tolchester Beach Maryland up north of the bay bridge right next to chester river.  Thanks again....Crabbyboy
Crabbyboy

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2003, 06:59:41 PM »

Jack do you know by any chance if that go's for mryland too.
   Crabbyboy

bluecrabs

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2003, 07:19:00 PM »

I crab in Maryland and have never heard of a license to set 2 additional pots. Not saying it's not possible, but I doubt it.  
Steve
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2003, 07:42:06 PM »

Here are Maryland's regulations:
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/crab/2002crabproposal.htm

Here's an excerpt regarding this topic:

INDIVIDUAL CRABBING
  • A license is required of an individual who uses the following gear or takes the following quantity of crabs:
    • Trotline (1200 feet of baited line maximum allowed)
    • 11 to 30 traps or rings
    • Up to 10 eel pots for own bait
    • More than 2 dozen with a limit of 1 bushel of hard crabs
    • More than 1 dozen with a limit of 2 dozen soft crabs or peelers
  • A license is NOT required of an individual who uses only the following gear and takes the following quantity of crabs:
    • 10 or fewer traps and rings
    • dipnets
    • handlines
    • No more than 2 dozen hard crabs
    • No more than 1 dozen soft crabs or peelers
OWNER OF PRIVATE SHORELINE PROPERTY
  • Creel limits vary depending on whether the crabber is licensed or not - see Individual Crabbing information above.
  • 2 crab pots from a private pier or within 100 yds of shore and attached by line
  • Two cull rings required in upper chamber
    • One measuring at least 2 3/16"
    • One measuring at least 2 5/16"
  • Turtle Reduction Device no larger than 1" x 4"
« Last Edit: February 19, 2003, 07:58:13 PM by Steve » Logged
kcrabpots

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2003, 09:31:24 PM »

Here is the 2003 MD regs.
here's the reg. found on page 22 of the 2002- 2003 "Laws and regulations concerning the harvest of crabs" . The book is available from the DNR at no charge.

4-811. Restrictions on use of crab pots by landowners in certain counties.

Any owner of tidewater shoreline property in Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Worcester, Calvert, Charles, St. Mary's, Somerset, and Wicomico Counties may set not more than four crab pots attached to his pier or dock, by line, string or rope, or attached to a pole set not more than 200 feet from shore. This pole shall be conspicuously marked by colored tape or similar material and shall have on it a sign at least 6 inches by 6 inches indicating the owner's name and address. In Worcester County, an owner of tidewater shoreline property may set not more than 4 crab pots attached to a buoy or float set not more than 200 feet from shore. In Worcester County, this buoy or float shall be colored or painted orange and conspicuously marked by a sign at least 6 inches by 6 inches indicating the owner's name and address. Pots may be set any day or night during the crab season when the shore owner or a member of his family is residing at the owner's shore property. Any person catching crabs in this manner shall use them for personal consumption only and may not sell them. The provisions of this section do not apply in the Potomac River.

Of course the regs are subject to change. If changes are proposed, they will appear in the Maryland Register, which is published every other week. My guess is that this reg has not been changed, but it is just a guess. For confirmation you could phone DNR in your county for verification.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2003, 10:20:03 AM »

Also in Virginia, you can get a 5 pot recreational license for $29.00.  Thats per person. You could have one and your family members could have additional ones.  The person with the license must be onboard when tending the pots.. Again you can not attend them on Sunday.  Also, commercial crabers will be off the water by 13:00 so you will draw the attention of any vmrc officer in site.  Make sure you cull your crabs right away. In Viriginia these guys do not give warning tickets.  A freind of mine got a $150.00 ticket last summer after telling the officer that he culled his crabs when he got into his pier.  

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
Crabbyboy

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2003, 08:58:25 PM »

Thanks again guys your really helping me out.  

Crabbyboy

waterman4456

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2003, 09:38:57 PM »

Virginias commercial gear for recreational use , license and cost...

One gill net up to 300 feet in length.....................$ 7.50
Fish dip net ..........................................................$ 6.00
Fish cast net.........................................................$ 8.00
Up to 5 crab pots ................................................$ 29.00
One crab trap or pound........................................$ 5.00
Crab trotline ( 300 feet maximum)........................$ 8.00

Exemptions from licensing requriements

Taking by dip net ,hand line, or 2 crab pots, as much as one bushel of hard crabs and 2 dozen peeler crabs in any one day for personal use only. Using one tank or float no greater than 4 feet in width and 8 feet in length for shedding crabs for personal use.

Stay legal and have fun. Fines bring no joy.....
« Last Edit: March 15, 2003, 09:50:47 AM by Steve » Logged
waterman4456

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2003, 02:11:49 PM »

THANKS Steve!!!! Thanks for everything!!!!!
Steve
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2003, 08:51:20 AM »

Glad I could help!   Smiley
cw4340

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2003, 07:20:40 PM »

how many pots can commercial waterman fish in md&va in nj we can fish 400 sea side 600 del bay
waterman4456

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2003, 09:20:40 PM »

In va max crab pots 500 in bay and sea side. 300 max in rivers. 300 max peeler pots any where. Some fish over limit nobodys counting them yet!!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home