June 18, 2021, 02:41:22 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mud or Hard bottom?  (Read 1795 times)
CrabBratwurst

Ignore
« on: September 08, 2009, 07:19:54 PM »

Tried the Wye this afternoon to see what all the hype is about. Waited till after lunch because I hadn't been there for years and couldn't remember the geography..

Crabbed till 6pm and only managed a couple dozen....

Ran the 1000ft in the channel and nothing.....not even a juvenile crab.. MUDDY BOTTOM
Ran it into a cove that had some depth......1 keeper only..MUDDY BOTTOM

Remembered the full moon so I moved the line again into 2 to 3 ft of water and ended up catching the couple dozen until the tide stopped on the high
tide.      SANDY HARD BOTTOM

I'll try it again later next week, but do you guys prefer muddy or sandy or does it not really make a difference?

The other places I've crabbed this year and done well is mostly hard bottom, but I have caught crabs in the mud? So I can't form an opinion yet on the subject.....

First State Sporting Goods
Marydel DE
dreirden

May god bless the crabber!!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 07:31:59 PM »

My personal experience has shown me that this time of the year the muddier the better.  Like you I have over the years tried different depths, bottom contours etc. and come to the conclusion that as the water cools down the quality crabs seem to be where the mud is.  That is just my experience and I have no "scientific" proof to back it up.

Davo the DE crab machine.  IF THERE IS A CRAB TO BE CAUGHT, MY BOAT AND I WILL BE THERE!!!
c-hawk-25

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 09:41:41 PM »

sandy bottom
CrabBratwurst

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 09:53:05 PM »

Thinking back on all my trips out this year, the majority of my good crabs have come from hard bottom....  The muddy bottom spots I did ok on were short lived spots,ie catch a few dozen there and then nothing?     Knowing how soft the mud/silt is, I would guess the bait would become submerged into the mud??   

First State Sporting Goods
Marydel DE
Minnox

Blue Crabs & Rockfish You Gotta Love It!!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 04:26:46 PM »

I run traps and a line and when I go to an area i have not been before i will drop some traps to check the bottom and I look for a sandy hard bottom that is what works for me.  My 2cents?!

Potty Mouth
Lifetime Member

Location: Still, somewhere 'tween the steampot and the cooler

Whatever... SSDD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 05:50:49 PM »

I got nowhere to go but mud here... there's lottsa tasty clams in that there mud though and grass grows in it well which holds small fish  Wink and, muddy bottom covers up a traps doors right quick when the tide's running (stealthy)  Cool  I think depth is more the indicator... sounds like it was a day to be shallow

"Not all that can be counted, counts. And not all that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home