May 27, 2018, 11:57:28 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So I had my first soft shell crab...  (Read 5497 times)
125blackfire

Ignore
« on: September 20, 2009, 06:49:44 PM »

My friend Garry and I went to go out crabbing Saturday. We got out during very high tide. Had to muscle the boat off the trailer because the water was so high. We finally got the boat off, and then we headed out. We saw allot of black smoke, I thought one of the factories where on fire. We got out past the Stony creek bridge near the black rocks and set three traps. Then RRIIIINNNNGGGG!!!!! My phone goes off... It was Garry's dad yelling at us to head in quick because there was a water main break, he was saying all of this sewage, chemicals, and poop was coming are way and to watch out for color changes in the water. Then 5 minutes later my Dad calls me, because his dad called him. My dad is yelling at me to come in so we did. Not a single crab caught. We muscled the boat back up on the trailer and drove to Garryís house. Went in their back yard and watched the news. Dundalk was being flooded. We went to Kent Island and got 3 doz heavy males, and two soft shell crabs. My shirt got wet so I wasnít wearing one the whole time. I had to flip the crabs because he didnít want the grease to get on his arms. So I flipped them, and my tummy got burned. Oh well. We went back in the back yard after we cooked them. We used allot of pancake batter. I started to chomp down on it, it was OK. After I ate the whole crab but a leg or two. He lets his cousin have a bite of his, she just moved here from Detroit. And she said the crab wasnít finished. He looks at his crab and itís still raw! Then I look at whatís left of mine and mine is raw. I just successfully ate my first raw soft shell crab. It was good.

Lead Petty Officer, of the number one United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps Division In the country Annapolis Division.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Temple
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 10:18:29 PM »

Think you will survive to legal voting age??  Roll Eyes

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 10:22:21 PM »

Try frying after cleaning them in 375 degree Canola oil for about 3 minutes per side depending on the size and sprinkling some crab seasoning on them after they are done frying.Then toast some white bread,cut up some tomatoes,make a sandwhich with the softy,tomato and tartar sauce.Gets no better than that!  Grin
Chef Lar
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 09:13:18 AM »

You just had sushi. MMMMMM good. karate

"Don't be a dumbass." Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
mdjohn

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 09:20:40 AM »

don't use pancake batter

clean them and dip in flour

Chef Lar
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 01:28:39 PM »

don't use pancake batter

clean them and dip in flour

John,
     You're talking to BF here. Finish you thought, and then cook them in a pan with some oil. If not he'll have sushi again.

"Don't be a dumbass." Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
mdjohn

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 01:42:41 PM »

John,
     You're talking to BF here. Finish you thought, and then cook them in a pan with some oil. If not he'll have sushi again.

true, true

as a PS

BF do not eat raw crabs - they carry parasites, worms and other little critters which are killed by cooking  Wink Wink
Bob-a-Buoy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 03:16:12 PM »

BF125.
That was one heck of an adventure you had yourself. Glad you're still OK. Roll Eyes
bobabuoy
ACFISHERIES

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 05:18:18 PM »

Tummy? Smiley

Good dogs, Rotgut whiskey, All the BS you can stand
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 06:49:29 PM »

Tummy? Smiley

Didnít feel like misspelling stomach.

Lead Petty Officer, of the number one United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps Division In the country Annapolis Division.

mrscharms
Lifetime Member

I REALLY LOVE crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 11:28:24 PM »

Interesting post...I liked it. 

I have used pancake batter on other items...never crabs, though..and it is good, but it is a thick, puffy shell...not good for crabs.  Unless you like it like that..then there is nothing wrong with that!

Janice
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 11:51:26 PM »

Dude, you got the basics down for catching crabs, but please take some cooking lessons  laugh Oh wait, do you live close to a fire department? Roll Eyes

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
jefftoleft
In Memoriam 02/2017
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 12:38:10 AM »

Dude, you got the basics down for catching crabs, but please take some cooking lessons  laugh Oh wait, do you live close to a fire department? Roll Eyes
When the smoke detector goes off it's done  laugh laugh laugh laugh

You will always catch more crabs with a DOT.NET than a DOT.COM
Big AL

Keep smiling

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 03:08:56 PM »

thumbsdown :disappointed:Soft Shelled Crab.................Yuuuck Angry Angry Angry

W W C
Crabslayer

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »

Interesting post...I liked it.  

I have used pancake batter on other items...never crabs, though..and it is good, but it is a thick, puffy shell...not good for crabs.  Unless you like it like that..then there is nothing wrong with that!

Janice

Pancake batter is what they used to use when making fried hard crabs except they would use ginger ale instead of water.

Let's see if there are any real oldtimers out there.  Any of you remember Kozy's Tavern in Highlandtown.  They served the best fried hard crabs for 75 cents.

Do you really want a guy who taxed the rain in the White House?

tugcapt
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 04:09:51 PM »

Here's an old one. How about Jake Snyder's, next to Hanover street bridge.  Best crabs, crab cakes and softcrabs ever. Used to be a big victorian house with a great outside porch to sit and eat crabs.

Honorary Chesapeake Spudman
crabbinmofo

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 08:03:15 PM »

Here's an old one. How about Jake Snyder's, next to Hanover street bridge.  Best crabs, crab cakes and softcrabs ever. Used to be a big victorian house with a great outside porch to sit and eat crabs.

I lived in Mt Winans in the 50's and my parents would take me there for dinner sometimes.  I seem to remember a seaplane at the pier.

Of the 2 things for which you can wake me in the middle of the night, crabs is one of them.
tugcapt
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 08:20:45 PM »

Yes, there was a sea plane, landing and ramp there.  Wink  There was also a small boatyard.

Honorary Chesapeake Spudman
Potty Mouth
Lifetime Member

Location: Still, somewhere 'tween the steampot and the cooler

Whatever... SSDD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 09:41:30 PM »

Roll Eyes   Shocked  seaplane  Shocked  note to self and others:  careful mentioning other water based modes of transportation around the kid... next thing ya know we'll be all winter long suggesting ways to put a depth finder on that thing...  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh how you get the necks between your feet just right and of course the milk crates  Shocked

"Not all that can be counted, counts. And not all that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 11:05:35 PM »

Roll Eyes   Shocked  seaplane  Shocked  note to self and others:  careful mentioning other water based modes of transportation around the kid... next thing ya know we'll be all winter long suggesting ways to put a depth finder on that thing...  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh how you get the necks between your feet just right and of course the milk crates  Shocked

This winter's project will be to maintain a job and buy a new boat.  Grin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home