June 29, 2022, 08:11:37 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: South Florida  (Read 6833 times)
ricksrealm

Ignore
« on: February 16, 2005, 05:05:29 PM »

We had a wonderful  Cheesy weather day today, So I put out 3 pots on my way out to the ocean. Didnt catch any fish, but did get a dozen crabs 5-6 inch. Three had eggs and were let go. The pots were out about 4 hours. I dont know if a dozen was good for four hours. I dicided to leave the pots out so I can at least  get enough for me and the wife. I will check the pots tommorow afternoon. I just started crabbing down here and dont know the spots yet.
DocSmith

Proud of what I stand for; Careful what I fall for

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 08:26:52 AM »

Ricksrealm -

With pots, I always have better luck in the morning, incoming tide, second day on the bait.  Set the pots near the drop-off to deeper water near a channel and leave them out overnight.  I use chicken backs for bait, 3-4 per pot.  Make sure you are legal with the FWC!

Cool Doc

The Cruelest Creature's the Crab, with Pinchers that can Cut you and Stab! And Then, when you Dine on Crab and White Wine, it's Murder when you Pick Up The Tab!
mikesr

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 02:22:35 PM »

Rick,   
      Like Doc said leave them in.  Don't check them.  Let them go for a few tide cycles.  Chicken works or use bunker for bait.  Good luck.
Fruitland Crabber

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 09:19:51 PM »

I was in key west last week, and couldnt really find much info on blue crabs down there, Stone Crabs seem to be in the market down there more then blue crabs.
ricksrealm

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 04:49:47 PM »

People down here arent really into the work required to eat blue crab. They want stone crab claws and king crab or lobster. Very few restaraunts have blue crabs. When they do they are usually called garlic crabs. These are usually small blue crab clusters already cleaned soaked in garlic butter. They dont know about old bay seasoning. We have a place nearby called Riggins Crab house that specializes in Maryland style crabs, but they are really expensive.

Fruitland Crabber

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2005, 03:32:21 PM »

What part of florida do you reside in Rick ?
ricksrealm

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 12:49:36 PM »

I am in West Palm Beach. I left the 3 pots out overnight. I was afraid they would be gone as there were commercial pots nearby and i was thinking the commercial guy might be mad and think this was his spot. He had a lot of pots. Anyway I caught about 20 crabs. Only 2-3 males , which i thought was weird. Do you think i need to go further up the river for the males. I know the females are usually in the saltier water.
DocSmith

Proud of what I stand for; Careful what I fall for

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 09:46:07 AM »

Ricksrealm -

Molesting a crab pot is a felony in Florida and it is prosecuted.  Most commercial guys don't mind if your five or fewer pots are set a reasonable distance away from their line. 

I usually set mine a little outside the range of a 12 gauge shotgun, just to be safe!

Make sure you have a 2" "R" on the float and a name tag permanently attached to the pot.

Cool Doc

The Cruelest Creature's the Crab, with Pinchers that can Cut you and Stab! And Then, when you Dine on Crab and White Wine, it's Murder when you Pick Up The Tab!
ricksrealm

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 01:08:08 PM »

Doc, Thanks for the info. Im totally legal.

Rick
deaconjohn

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 12:31:29 PM »

Will be in delray beach Jan-apr where do i find the blues?  THANK Y'ALL

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 01:58:25 PM »

Will be in delray beach Jan-apr where do i find the blues?  THANK Y'ALL
Should have made a new thread, or a Mod move it imo since you just added to a thread almost 5 years old

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 02:10:03 PM »

I was going to do just that but then I thought, him being a newbie he might not find it if I did...  Undecided

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home