September 16, 2019, 08:38:24 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gunpowder 10-04-09  (Read 3620 times)
badbean

Ignore
« on: October 04, 2009, 12:58:29 PM »

Got out this morning for a last season run with Bill Sanders to catch some crabs for the Raven's game. Our first couple runs with 30 traps got us notta. About the 4th or 5th run we caught a small catfish. We were in between 4ft through 9 ft of water. Seems 6-7 ft was the sweet depth. After that it started picing up some. After about 4 hours of steady workin git  we got a near bushel just in time to make it home for the game. Good number of whiteys and light crabs. Some nice fat heavy ones too. Six nice females we had to throw back and about 2 or 3 baby jimmys that got another chance at growing bigger. Good way though to cap off the season as this will be my last time out this year crabbing. Thanx Bill it was fun as always when we get together! Here s a pick of our catch today:

« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 01:01:04 PM by badbean » Logged

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin (attributed)

Lord please help me become the person my dog thinks I am!
DEcountryboy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 01:27:01 PM »

way to end the season on a high note.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 01:33:27 PM »

Nice catch enjoy em.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
badbean

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 02:17:13 PM »

Let me correct my earlier assesment. After eatting some most of these crabs are pretty light even though some of them are really nice sized. Beats a blank though for the game!

Terrapin T
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 05:05:12 PM »

Nice Trip.  Way to stick with it!

Grateful to be in The Land of Pleasant Living

"His Fadder was a Mudder"

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 07:00:11 PM »

Let me correct my earlier assesment. After eatting some most of these crabs are pretty light even though some of them are really nice sized. Beats a blank though for the game!
Cool Bean.  Tell it like it is..  The "pinch test" is the only way to go, but it's hard to throw back a big crab that fails it..

PS: I missed the rail reports this season.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
badbean

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 07:16:21 PM »

Jack I decided to make some niice Maryland style crab soup outta what's left. Picked em and saved some whole claws. Soup's on the stove slow cookin' now. I should have enough to eat some soup during the week and enough left over to freeze and enjoy when there's snow on the ground later ths winter.  Grin

crabbing4fun

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 07:20:46 PM »

I also went crabbing and did very well and every crab got a pinch test and 50% went back. Still was able to bring home 2 bushels after 6 hours of crabbing.Best crabbing I had seen in years.After steaming I found most to be very light even after the the pinch test.The crabs I took home were hard but still light.No dark crabs
crabster2

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 07:22:33 PM »

Great. Good time to ask for special crab soup recipes. Anyone have any to offer?
jefftoleft
In Memoriam 02/2017
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 08:11:13 PM »

Great. Good time to ask for special crab soup recipes. Anyone have any to offer?
Go to the recipe section of the forum and take your choice  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

You will always catch more crabs with a DOT.NET than a DOT.COM

badbean

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 08:20:15 PM »

Crabster here is a recipe I use. Keep in mind you need to adjust it to suit your tastes. Nothing written in stone, just general guidelines to making Maryland style crab soup:

Ingredients:
about a lb of crabmeat
a 1/2 lb piece of beef with fat cut into cubes (bottom round works well)
a can of whole tomatoes
4 cups water
3 cups minced vegetables
1 table spoon worchester sauce
Old Bay to taste (if you use another spice be sure it does not have salt already added.)
salt to taste
ground pepper to taste
small onion chopped
a couple dashes of Tabasco
crab claws (optional)
a clove of garlic chopped

Add tomatoes, water, Worchester sauce, Tabasco, mixed vegetable, beef, onion and garlic. Let simmer on low heat covered for about 40 minutes stirring occasionally. Smash and break up the tomatoes a bit during stirring.  Added Old Bay to taste (about 1 to 2 tablespoons should get you close).  Simmer covered about 20 minutes stirring occasionally.  Add salt and pepper to taste. (Tip: add salt a little at a time, too much salt will ruin the soup, you got to get it just right.)  Add crab meat and claws now. Let simmer covered another at least 20 minutes. The trick here is to slow cook it on low heat so that all the flavors can blend together and create a delicious hearty soup. I have also been told by a few old Maryland cooks to never make this during a thunderstorm as it will sour for some reason. And remember like I said earlier there are no rules here as these are just general guidelines; feel free to make the recipe your own recipe by adjusting it to suit what you like. It should make a nice Maryland style crab soup for you. Enjoy!

Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 09:41:07 PM »

Badbean - you might have seen me out there also - I to was there - Started near the Green 9 light and Windy started to kick butt - move to the mouth of Saltpeter and got a bushel - same quality as yours - however nicer crabs at Saltpeter over all but you had to work for them.

My boat was the Carloina Skiff with the 2 motors on it.......

Windy was still there when I left at 4:30 pm - crabs were running harder when I left on the incomming tide then earlier on the out going tide.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 11:19:48 PM by Dreampixels » Logged

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Captain A. G. Lamplugh
chesapeak

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 09:55:50 PM »

Nice report Bean.  I missed the rail reports this season also.

I love the late summer and fall. We are over the hump now. Things start to slow down. The vacationers start to leave and traffic starts getting back to normal. The ducks are going to be coming in and the crabs are the biggest and heaviest of the year.
ernest_gray

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 11:12:13 PM »

Nice Catch!

Thanks for the info on the lighter ones....  I was beginning to wonder if it was me or not.  I got a lot of crabs the other day but were wet and light after I steamed them.

Cheers

Ernie Smiley
CrabmanC27C

"Never seen a blue crab!just the red ones"

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 11:12:29 PM »

Good Beans.To BAD Ravens lost 1.Thanks for repprts Smiley

"Music is the sigh of the oppressed masses,It is the heart in a heartless world"~Bill Graham~

Crab A Lot

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »

Badbean,

Nice catch & pictures...... I think everyone on the forum missed your rail reports this year Sad Sad Sad

Maybe you will continue the reports next year,I believed everyone enjoyed them,I know I did.

Chesapeake Bay Crabs are the best!!!!!!!!
badbean

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 07:42:04 AM »

Badbean,

Nice catch & pictures...... I think everyone on the forum missed your rail reports this year Sad Sad Sad

Maybe you will continue the reports next year,I believed everyone enjoyed them,I know I did.

I gave weekly rail reports up till a bit after Labor day! Then it slowed down on the GP and Bush and I figured there wasn't anything really report worthy to post. I will say this though, I was a little surprised that there were like 30 boats out there around me crabbing on the Gunpowder sunday morning, even a commercial gun running a trotline. Guess it is white bellys for all !!

The water temp sunday was like 63F and it was in the low 70's last week so I figure the crabs are gonna be running to bed in the mud down Bay soon. Better catch them while they are still up in the rivers cause they are not goign to be there much longer I think. Since waterfowl season starts in a little over a week my crabbin' is over with for this season. I'll be back with some new reports next Spring!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 07:48:02 AM by badbean » Logged

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 08:28:50 AM »

Badbean - you might have seen me out there also - I to was there - Started near the Green 9 light and Windy started to kick butt - move to the mouth of Saltpeter and got a bushel - same quality as yours - however nicer crabs at Saltpeter over all but you had to work for them.

My boat was the Carloina Skiff with the 2 motors on it.......

Windy was still there when I left at 4:30 pm - crabs were running harder when I left on the incomming tide then earlier on the out going tide.
A skiff with twins... How cool is that....  Grin laugh

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 08:55:34 AM »

white belly from sunday....

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
medimac

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 09:13:24 AM »

I'm with you Flounder.. I took 2 lid bending bushels out of there on Friday and only threw back 4 white bellys. I didn't keep anything but bricks.  Best crabs I have had all season.  Hopefully it lasts a few more weeks.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home