October 20, 2018, 05:13:27 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Outlook for 2005?  (Read 11914 times)
Black Irish

Ignore
« on: February 23, 2005, 11:30:23 AM »

From the MD DNR website:

"Fisheries biologist Brenda Davis sent in the following report on the status of blue crabs in the Chesapeake and some of their observations. The Maryland commercial blue crab harvest for 2004 was 28.7 million pounds, an increase of nearly 4 million pounds from 2003. Harvest has been increasing each year since a low of 20.3 million pounds in 2000. The trend is encouraging, but harvest is still well below the 1990 to 1999 average of 40.4 million pounds. Most would agree that the population is stable at a low level.

Indications are that 2005 should be similar to 2004 for blue crab harvest. The winter dredge survey, which is conducted cooperatively by the MD Department of Natural Resources (MD DNR) and the Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS), provides a Bay wide estimate of blue crab abundance. The survey will not be completed until March but early sampling has shown an increase in the number of small (< 2 ¼") crabs collected in some areas. Though blue crabs are susceptible to winter mortality from prolonged low water temperature, the increase could be a good sign for stability in blue crab harvest."
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 12:27:55 PM »

Sounds like throwing the bimbo's back is working Grin Cool

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
Crabslayer

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 12:37:30 PM »

Sounds like throwing the bimbo's back is working Grin Cool

It would be interesting to know the ratio of females to males from the survey.

Do you really want a guy who taxed the rain in the White House?
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 12:43:05 PM »

It would be interesting to know the ratio of females to males from the survey.

I believe the data is broken down by size and sex in the final report.
long green crabber
In Memoriam 12/2011
Lifetime Member

crabbin` cruiser

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 08:35:22 PM »

anything broken down by size and sex can`t be all bad. lgc

Fruitland Crabber

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 08:55:55 PM »

Its really good that the crab "population" has been gradually getting better over the last few years. I really hope this year is the same , if not better then last year
crabbychrisNJ

Got crabs?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 09:37:47 PM »

Does anyone know how to get that type of information for NJ? 

Crabbing is a real man's sport!
Crabber Joe
Lifetime Member

"A man's gotta know his limitations"

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 09:28:24 AM »

Does anyone know how to get that type of information for NJ? 
Forcast for NJ is probaly the same as recent years: not many crabs, most crabs are of the dwarf type and under 5"  even less crabs over 5" a few "needle in the haystack" crabs can be found over 5 inches but they are few and far in between. enjoy!

Anytime, Anyplace JO !
crabbychrisNJ

Got crabs?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 11:00:10 AM »

>:(Thanks Crabber Joe.  One of these years I hope NJ can get the Mumbo's. 

madcrab

Say hello to my littl' friend!!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2005, 12:39:14 PM »

And if you all believe in the Farmers Almanac....check that out when you get a chance.  Says this month and March will be colder....but come April....warmer than usual with less precip. than usual as well.  PERFECT!!!  Hope they're right!!  Wink Grin

"...as a free man, I take pride in saying, I am a doughnut."

mikesr

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2005, 10:19:40 PM »

Crabbychris, 
 Check the NJ Dept of natural resources website.   Delaware's DNREC publishes an annual report for the Delaware Bay.  Problem is that the reports for the De river and Bay are about a year late. sleeping  2003's report for De Bay crabbing is available online in DNREC's website.
crabbychrisNJ

Got crabs?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2005, 10:28:07 PM »

thanks Mikesr!  I will check it out.

Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2005, 12:01:11 AM »

Forcast for NJ is probaly the same as recent years: not many crabs, most crabs are of the dwarf type and under 5"  even less crabs over 5" a few "needle in the haystack" crabs can be found over 5 inches but they are few and far in between. enjoy!

Thank God CJ you are not a doctor, you are a depressing SOB, but you call them the way you see unfortunately you are right and probably over optimistic. Grin Wink Cool Cool

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
Crabber Joe
Lifetime Member

"A man's gotta know his limitations"

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2005, 08:51:05 AM »

Thank God CJ you are not a doctor, you are a depressing SOB, but you call them the way you see unfortunately you are right and probably over optimistic. Grin Wink Cool Cool
If I was running for office I would have given you the powder coated BS version, but like you said there DR, I call them like I see um, some people like the straight truth some people & some can't bear it and want a snow job but either way I feel better with the straight up un-doctored version.  anyway thats just mho!  and I do wish it was like years ago and we had some bigger ones in jersey too!

Anytime, Anyplace JO !
procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2005, 07:27:22 PM »

i have a big gripe about how they get the numbers from these dredge surveys. they dont match observations that appear early in the season. last year wasa slight increase over the previous year, yet last years spring run was record high all over

mrscharms
Lifetime Member

I REALLY LOVE crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2005, 01:30:54 AM »

How can they include us recreational crabbers in this report?  I have never had the opportunity to tell how many crabs I've gotten....albeit a small number in comparison to the commercial guys...and God Bless Em...I am all for the "big guys who make a living from crabbing"....I am more interested now in the health of the bay....we have a great natural resource here...and it is very slowly recovering...just not as fast as I would like it to be...too much politics....
procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2005, 09:00:30 AM »

recreationals are about 10% of the crab take. they do sample recs, but there are so many of you, they estimate the numbers.  this should be a good year as my prediction.  if you look at the catch from last year, it was up, but the number of crabbers was way down. this means that everyone who was out there did well. almost nobody complained about the catch. even recs did well last year. 

stuff

i dont need it but i got to have it

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2005, 09:23:12 AM »

new jersey is going to start to tax each crab you catch at a rate of 6% of market value so that would be $1.05 a crab  just filled out a  application for a crab tax cop at a salary of 75,000 a year   
Stevo
Lifetime Member

It's all fun and games 'til someone gets steamed!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2005, 09:25:22 AM »

new jersey is going to start to tax each crab you catch at a rate of 6% of market value so that would be $1.05 a crab  just filled out a  application for a crab tax cop at a salary of 75,000 a year   

It's a good thing King Crabber is crabbing in MD now, with crabbers like him, A Crab Tax Cop would starve to death if they get paid on the creel!  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

This website is member-supported. Please help by becoming a Supporting Member today!
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2005, 09:54:19 AM »

How can they include us recreational crabbers in this report?  I have never had the opportunity to tell how many crabs I've gotten....albeit a small number in comparison to the commercial guys...and God Bless Em...I am all for the "big guys who make a living from crabbing"....I am more interested now in the health of the bay....we have a great natural resource here...and it is very slowly recovering...just not as fast as I would like it to be...too much politics....
In VA:
"Any person catching finfish or shellfish using a recreational gillnet, cast net, dip net, crab pot, crab trap, crab trotline, eel pot, or any other recreational license established by Regulation 4-VAC-20-670 must report annually on forms provided by the Commission: the weight and species harvested, location of harvest, days fished and amount of gear used (click here for downloadable form; if you get a prompt for a password click cancel)  [4 VAC 20-670-40]."

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home