August 16, 2018, 07:45:14 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Outlook for 2005?  (Read 11624 times)
kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Elvis has left the building....

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2005, 10:56:59 AM »

It's a good thing King Crabber is crabbing in MD now, with crabbers like him, A Crab Tax Cop would starve to death if they get paid on the creel!  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Hey Nitwit..... Da King is actually a "Super Conservationalist"  Wink Cheesy I generally leave most of da crabs in da water,where they belong  dunce dunce yes yes yes grin2 grin2 grin2 grin2 grin2 grin2

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press? ...The Joker
mikesr

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2005, 12:21:28 PM »

Stuff,   You were just kidding about the NJ crab tax, right?Huh Shocked
stuff

i dont need it but i got to have it

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2005, 02:37:10 PM »

just wait my friend   the worse is yet to come in this lousy state
mikesr

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2005, 03:55:52 PM »

Man!  Tax per crab. furious3  No wonder you are leaving. 

You are going to love it here.  Crabbing this year should be better than last. And last year was the best since 2001. 

I think NJ has a tax or fee on everything. Beach Tag, parking permit, crab tax, fishing license........ Undecided
crabbychrisNJ

Got crabs?

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2005, 10:34:01 PM »

just wait my friend the worse is yet to come in this lousy state
I remember a few years ago NJ was voting in the legislature whether or not they should tax coupons! 

Crabbing is a real man's sport!

stuff

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2005, 06:23:51 PM »

i'm tellin ya i dont know what my kids are gonna do when i leave dis state, but got a doctor to put me out for the summer after a minor operation,so now the work calander looks like 7 months till its down state time.

seems that the treasure want s  to mess with our pension and health benifits, if you only knew how much money they waste, they just hired a 75 year old guy to go around and check for waste oil at a salary of 60K
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2005, 03:24:43 PM »

So the early prediction is that 2005 will be as good, maybe even better than 2004. Many of you remember how easy it was to fill a basket about 8-10 years ago. If the fishing was slow you could always get a dozen crabs by letting your bait lay on the bottom for a few minutes. Crabs were a bait-stealing nuisance.

By 1999, the situation was really getting tough. The crabs were scarce. And the market price for a bushel of crabs went through the roof.

I don't know the reason for the increase of juvenile crabs in this year's dredge survey. There are probably several. Keep your fingers crossed that milder weather comes soon so these juveniles survive the rest of the winter. By mid to late summer, they will be up to harvestable size.  thumbsup

I'm looking forward to the final dredge report numbers for this year. So far, it's optomistic. A first sign will be how good the early peeler season does again this spring.
stuff

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2005, 09:05:09 PM »

yes yes  no work  just crabbin, just hope the oxygen is there, 2001 crab season here was a bust cause of that
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2005, 11:35:49 AM »

More good news released today from the MD DNR website:

DNR Announces Results Of 2004-05 Winter Dredge Crab Survey
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANNAPOLIS — The Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Fisheries Service today announced preliminary results of the 2004-05 winter dredge crab survey. Estimates of total blue crab abundance were significantly higher than levels measured in the 2003-04 survey. This increase is primarily due to the presence of large numbers of young crabs in their first year of life.

The index of abundance for these age 0 juvenile crabs is the highest since 1997 and the sixth highest observed in the 16-year study. The abundance of mature females increased slightly but was not significantly higher than levels observed in 2004. However, in the past three years, the abundance of mature females has remained significantly higher than the historically low levels measured during the 2000-01 and 2001-02 surveys.

Biologists have not yet fully assessed the effects of this year’s over-winter mortality. Large crabs are most sensitive to winter cold so any effects will be seen early in the 2005 season, both in terms of size and quantity of crabs harvested. Based on the historical relationship between dredge estimates and subsequent harvest, DNR expects that the Bay-wide harvest will be comparable to the 2004 harvest of approximately 56 million pounds.

The winter dredge survey is one of four surveys used to assess the condition of the Chesapeake Bay blue crab population. This spring, the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) Chesapeake Bay Stock Assessment Committee will complete analysis of the winter dredge survey and the remaining three surveys - the Maryland trawl, Virginia trawl and Calvert Cliffs pot study. Based on the results of this analysis, the NOAA Chesapeake Bay Office will issue a 2005 blue crab advisory report in late June or early July.

The Bay-wide winter crab dredge survey is a cooperative effort between the DNR and the Virginia Institute of Marine Science. Since 1990, the survey has employed crab dredges to sample blue crabs at 1,500 sites throughout the Chesapeake Bay from December through March. By sampling during winter when blue crabs are burrowed in the mud and stationary, scientists can develop, with good precision, estimates of the number of crabs present in the Bay. Estimates of abundance are developed for juveniles entering their first year, mature females and adult male crabs. Together, these groups will support the following year’s fishery and produce the next generation of crabs.
For more information on the survey, log on to www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/crab/winter_dredge.html.
procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2005, 03:18:04 PM »

mind you the adult female population was not significantly higher in 2004, yet the number of small crabs is way up...  this is in support of my idea that throwing females back is not hte whole story!!!!!!  water clarity was way up last year!!!! 

Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2005, 03:38:11 PM »

mind you the adult female population was not significantly higher in 2004, yet the number of small crabs is way up...  this is in support of my idea that throwing females back is not hte whole story!!!!!!  water clarity was way up last year!!!! 

Read the whole paragraph.

"The index of abundance for these age 0 juvenile crabs is the highest since 1997 and the sixth highest observed in the 16-year study. The abundance of mature females increased slightly but was not significantly higher than levels observed in 2004. However, in the past three years, the abundance of mature females has remained significantly higher than the historically low levels measured during the 2000-01 and 2001-02 surveys."
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2005, 11:37:08 PM »

Stabilizing should not be a reason to rejoyce and be complacent. I think most of us agree there are multiple contributing factors. One harsh winter and you will be at a new all time low. It seems a lot of people look for one positive sign to keep justifying taking the females. It is obvious some new laws are helping but that is not an excuse to do less. Building the stock is the only way to avoid a disaster in the future. Huh And that brings us back letting more females spawn. Wink

Learn the lessons from NJ and NY, they will never be the same as they once were. 8+ inch crabs were not a myth, now a 7 inch crab is a dinosaur.

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
fred

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2005, 03:32:13 PM »

Is that the known cause for the crab shortages in ny and nj?  are the bodies of water in these states comparable to the chesapeake?  Those crabs down in florida have longer growing seasons so we can't compare their brackish bodies of water to ours.  Just a thought.
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2005, 09:56:33 PM »

No Fred, basically since it's not an industry like MD and VA, the DNR never really tried to protect the species. Once the comm guys came in with their pots it's never been the same. And like everywhere else rec's also to blame taking alot of little crabs and females. Little enforcement of laws if any. And they also winter dredge. And pollution like everywhere else. Doubt it will ever get back to anything the way it was. Huh Eastern LI is still decent and occasionally you get some size, but it's been a long time since it's been consistent.  The only good thing about Eastern LI is great fishing so it keeps alot of people away from the crabbing.

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
Tom Powers

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2005, 02:25:55 PM »

Jack on VA reporting.  It is my understanding that nothing is done with the data.  There was a survey of recreational crabbing a year or two ago.  The results was that about 5% of the harvest was recreational.

Tom

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home