July 04, 2022, 10:25:38 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catching shrimp  (Read 7423 times)
Mag

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2009, 08:19:34 PM »

I plan on crabbing central florida east coast around melbourne. Do you catch shrimp in your crab traps as well as crabs?
Bubba Joe-Bob

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 10:31:43 PM »

You're joking, .... right ?

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 07:45:07 AM »

That would be a big shrimp!  Shocked

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
Mag

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 09:55:29 AM »

Don't see why not. Not all the rec hand pots are big gap wire.And they are bottom feeders. Found a couple articles on the net but can't post a link cause i'm new. I wasn't thinking that you could fill a bucket, but it does look like you shouldn't be surprised if you see a few here and there either.
tattoo
In Memoriam 09/2021
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 09:59:13 AM »

The only way i have seen shrimp being caught is by casting a net.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.

Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 10:19:26 AM »

Don't see why not. Not all the rec hand pots are big gap wire.And they are bottom feeders. Found a couple articles on the net but can't post a link cause i'm new. I wasn't thinking that you could fill a bucket, but it does look like you shouldn't be surprised if you see a few here and there either.

I concur Doctor!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 11:42:05 PM by Dreampixels » Logged

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Captain A. G. Lamplugh
gotcrabs?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 11:35:50 AM »

The shrimp do run hard around Melbourne area but never have I got one in a crab trap.  The traps they use for shrimp have way smaller holes.  They should be running when the temps drop a little more, the best way to get them are with underwater lights dropped around passes or bridges around the ICW and scoop them up while they float by the the light using a long handled small mesh shrimp net.
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 11:55:34 AM »

Not sure all the rules and regs of Fl, but I am sure the using cast nets, with bait sticks is the best way to go. Or using channel hoop nets, but like I said not sure the rules and regs. RD is the best person to ask IMO

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
gotcrabs?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 06:21:38 PM »

Most people in the St. Johns river and around Daytona Beach North like to use cast nets with duct tape on the mesh by the weights to keep the net open when it hits bottom.  The last time I was up that way I saw tons of people in the channel casting nets and wondered what they were doing so I casted mine out and got about 15 white shrimp up to 8 inches so I kept casting until I filled a 5 gallon bucket full!  Crabbing is very good in the creeks up there as well as the fishing, after writing this, It makes me wanna take the hour and a half drive up to see if it's still as good.   

-Will

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home