jefftoleft

What do you have there some quail? :)
You will always catch more crabs with a DOT.NET than a DOT.COM

tattoo

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.

ACFISHERIES

Good dogs, Rotgut whiskey, All the BS you can stand

Mikie

How does your pointer hunt? I see you've got a shock collar on him. Pointers always ranged too far away from us for the conditions where we hunted, we always had setters because they tended to hunt a lot closer.

A friend of ours bought a champion blood line pointer that was trained to perfection. He would follow hand or voice commands to a tee. He didn't train him at all during the off season, and the next year you wouldn't know the dog had EVER been trained - he ran like a racehorse! The guy actually hung about a 10' piece of logging chain on the dog's collar for the first 2 hours of hunting to try to slow him down and wear him out. Once he was a little tired, he would hunt pretty good. That was before training collars.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

ACFISHERIES

E collar really helps. I've got her working reasonably close. In thick cover I use a tracking collar, but have been reading and seeing good things about the new Garmin GPS system. We tried some on deer hounds and they worked ok. EP's are high energy dogs. My Dad ran Brittneys for years and they are good dogs, it just gets so hot here, I didn't want a long haired dog. I don't field trial, she's a hunting dog as well as a pet.

jack1747

Was there life before E-Collars?  ??? 

Add a police whistle and life is great...  ;D
"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

ACFISHERIES

Quote from: jack1747 on December 28, 2009, 06:27:09 AM

Add a police whistle and life is great...  ;D
Yes and some of the old timers would let the dog run and then sting their arse with #9 shot. I use the collar very sparingly and only to reinforce commands she already knows,not to teach. EP's are very headstrong. She does well with the whistle. She rides in the front seat of the truck and sleeps on the couch at home, just a little on the spoiled side. ;)

Chef Lar

Quote from: ACFISHERIES on December 28, 2009, 11:10:37 AM
Yes and some of the old timers would let the dog run and then sting their arse with #9 shot. I use the collar very sparingly and only to reinforce commands she already knows,not to teach. EP's are very headstrong. She does well with the whistle. She rides in the front seat of the truck and sleeps on the couch at home, just a little on the spoiled side. ;)

Jack wouldn't know a thing about spoiled pooches. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: And we all know the Pup is spoiled. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"Don't be a dumbass." Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Ron

Quote from: jack1747 on December 28, 2009, 06:27:09 AM

Yes, a life that included chasing down overzealous dogs for hours after they got caught up in the heat of the moment and forget their obedience training.  :-D   

I never take my dog out into the field without putting her E-collar.   It's safer for her and safer for me to have that added bit of security.

Blue Crab Advisor to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council

11th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 25-26, 2021
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek

BowMovements

DogTra just came ot with some new one.  LED, distance, GPS, Directional locater.  Pretty neat stuff.  They are the most humane way to train and keep your dog out of harms way. 

ACFISHERIES

:2thumbsup: absolutely. especially for a pet.

flounderpounder

or just train a dog for voice commands...saves me on batteries..lol
" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME ";)

ACFISHERIES

Quote from: flounderpounder on December 29, 2009, 08:25:17 PM
or just train a dog for voice commands...saves me on batteries..lol
Batteries are rechargable so your wallet would'nt hurt to bad. lol

jefftoleft

Back in the 70s & early 80s I had a real good Brittney but they are not near as hardheaded as pointers and will hunt a lot closer
You will always catch more crabs with a DOT.NET than a DOT.COM

R D

Quote from: Ronster on December 28, 2009, 04:18:59 PM
Yes, a life that included chasing down overzealous dogs for hours after they got caught up in the heat of the moment and forget their obedience training.  :-D   

I never take my dog out into the field without putting her E-collar.   It's safer for her and safer for me to have that added bit of security.

Thats why they call it dog hunting down here,let them out in the morning and hunt dogs all day and half the night.  ::)
Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne

Chef Lar

Quote from: R D on December 30, 2009, 08:32:32 AM
Thats why they call it dog hunting down here,let them out in the morning and hunt dogs all day and half the night.  ::)

That's why we hunt with cows up here in "cow country". You know, till the cows come home. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"Don't be a dumbass." Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

jack1747

Quote from: Chef Lar on December 28, 2009, 11:57:37 AM
Jack wouldn't know a thing about spoiled pooches. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: And we all know the Pup is spoiled. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Spoiled...  Not me....  O'yeah... Shut up Larry  ;D
"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

archer393

bear hunting with hounds is 10 percent hunting bear and 90 percent hunting dogs .i hunted with a fellow that had the gps system for his curs and it works great ,it really cuts down on the amount of running around and trying to triangulate the dogs.some of the chases we go on have been as much as 9 mile or more across country .

ACFISHERIES

Quote from: jack1747 on December 30, 2009, 09:12:50 AM
Spoiled...  Not me....  O'yeah... Shut up Larry  ;D
Looks like FEAR in that dogs eyes!!! ::) Fear that it might miss that treat your holding! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:(I know that look well)