New year

Started by ACFISHERIES, January 04, 2010, 09:05:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACFISHERIES

Cold in Fl.. Crabs buried up, told my crew I would see them 1/11/10. In the meantime I've been forced to hunt. Sat. a fat doe, Sun pheasants and quail. slept in today but will hunt this afternoon. Oh, the agony of it all ::) :smartass: :rifle: :laugh:
Good dogs, Rotgut whiskey, All the BS you can stand

tattoo

Nice , you did well .,WTG,
A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.

jack1747

Very Nice.....   Saw on the news it was 34 in Tampa...  :o
"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

tattoo

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.

CrabDog

Nice AC,

glad to see you getting out and chasing some air and land critters for a change.... :laugh:

whacked up some geese on Saturday.. windy as can be... highs in mid 20's and winds 20-30 gusts 40-50 all weekend.... it was cold.....  had a lot of geese want into the spread, but the [dang] wind kept blowing over full body decoys right when they would toll......  and the birs would flare....I even had horse shoes around the feet of the greenhead and bigfoot decs........ still blew over at times.. but hung in there killed a limit of canadas and we even had two tolls of snow geese.. group of 8 and another group of 10.... whacked 3 of them.. my buddy didn't shoot..... didn't know they were in and gave me grief... I said the [Sam Hill] you can't shoot em.. 15 a day.. til march....so good day, bt took longer than nrmal cause of the really strong winds..
MD / PA Line

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Big Rad

You haven't removed the loins in that deer!! :o :o :o  It is my practice to remove the loins immediately....so that they will remain tender........ergo tender-loins ;)
I hear the sound of one hand clapping....you don't??

Chef Lar

Quote from: Big Rad on January 04, 2010, 12:44:49 PM
You haven't removed the loins in that deer!! :o :o :o  It is my practice to remove the loins immediately....so that they will remain tender........ergo tender-loins ;)

What would make them get tougher by leaving them in the animal. A beef tenderloin that I buy by the case in the restaurant is just as tender the day I bought it, as the day it was slaughtered. I don't think I understand your reasoning. ???
"Don't be a dumbass." Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Big Rad

As the deer hangs they dry out.

Chef Lar

Ever heard of dry aged beef?

Big Rad

Hey chef,
Of course I've heard of that. ::)
There is a big difference between deer and beef.  That is beef is usually marbled with fat.  You won't find that in deer.  The tenderloins of a deer are best when removed after field dressing the deer.  That is my opinion and my practice.  We usually have the tenderloins right after we hang em. 

Chef Lar

To be honest I can't see inside far enough to see if the tenders are still in or not. Wasn't intending on a big to-do. Just keeping busy at work. My apologies.

Big Rad

Quote from: Chef Lar on January 04, 2010, 01:23:17 PM
To be honest I can't see inside far enough to see if the tenders are still in or not. Wasn't intending on a big to-do. Just keeping busy at work. My apologies.
No need to apologize.  We are discussing food.  At 6'6" tall at 330 pounds I am speaking of one of the joys of my life; Food of which venison of any type is a favorite.  Deer then rabbit then squirrels in that order  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  In all honesty most folks think of the backstraps as the tenderloins.  I take for granted that they are still in by the lack of "spread" in the hinds.  You have to open the deer up to remove em and she shows no evidence.............So I guess, by your response, we are talking about the same cut of meat.

AC.....
Did ya remove the loins from that deer? ;D ;) ;)

BTW: I'm at work too with very little to do........

Thinking of making cinnamon bun from scratch when I get home...............

Raisins, nuts or both?

Chef Lar

I'm just at 6' and a tad over that 300lb limit myself. Food is one of my favorites too. I know what you mean though. I consider the tenderloin as that little piece of meat(on a deer) that actually connects to the rib. It's the small piece of meat that is on a porterhouse steak opposite the sirloin, and yes on a deer they would dry out quickly with lack of fat.

Promised a buddy I'd cook him up a couple pound of shrimp, my way. I think he's stopping by tonight. Had enough to eat today, and I'll have a couple of his shrimp too. That should be good enough. Take care Big Rad and don't work too hard. :laugh: :laugh:

ACFISHERIES

Loins are still in. One buckshot hit the spine right at the loins. I shot her in front of the dogs and she was hauling arse. only one hit her and two inches higher she would still be running around. Broke her back and trashed the loins. Most of the deer I shoot in front of dogs I grind up, seems like when they run hard the meat seems tougher. Any I take during bow or m/l I keep backstrap and loins for frying or grilling, hams for the grill, and my wife does the shoulders in the oven with taters,carrots, and onions. BTW, have you ever cut the ribs in half lengthwise an deep-fried? It's goood stuff! ;)

ACFISHERIES

CrabDog, I'm just wating on some ducks to show. We don't get them here like we used to. I shot a few bluebills and woodies last year. Back in the 70's we had a varity of divers and quite a few widgeon,black ducks, and some pintails. haven't seen any big ducks in years. I dream about the kind of days ya'll have up there. :)

Mikie

Quote from: ACFISHERIES on January 04, 2010, 02:19:47 PM
Loins are still in. One buckshot hit the spine right at the loins. I shot her in front of the dogs and she was hauling arse. only one hit her and two inches higher she would still be running around. Broke her back and trashed the loins. Most of the deer I shoot in front of dogs I grind up, seems like when they run hard the meat seems tougher. Any I take during bow or m/l I keep backstrap and loins for frying or grilling, hams for the grill, and my wife does the shoulders in the oven with taters,carrots, and onions. BTW, have you ever cut the ribs in half lengthwise an deep-fried? It's goood stuff! ;)

I think any time they're running or you don't drop 'em with one shot, adrenaline can make the meat strong and gamey.

You have wild pheasants down there?

ACFISHERIES

Quote from: Mikie on January 04, 2010, 05:02:52 PM
I think any time they're running or you don't drop 'em with one shot, adrenaline can make the meat strong and gamey.

You have wild pheasants down there?
No, I was at a preserve. I paid for my quail and the pheasants were someone else's leftovers.. I 've got a young dog and I try to keep her in birds every time I take her out. She's still in training. I won't hunt wild birds until deer season is out jan. 23...

ACFISHERIES

jack1747

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

Big Rad

AC is it okay if I live vicariously through you for the rest of the winter???

Nice pictures ;)