September 23, 2018, 12:25:03 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: catching soft crabs  (Read 6618 times)
indoe

« on: February 18, 2003, 12:30:08 PM »

Hi everyone
     Just like most of you I can't wait until I can start crabbing again. I was hoping you guys and any ladies that are out there coul give me some advc. I just found a new plase to crab last year that looked great for catching soft crabs and hard crabs. My question has to deal with soft crabs since this is going to be the first time I will be trying to catch soft crabs exclusively early in the year. I was wondering what you guys thought what the best time of year to catch soft crabs and the method that worked the best. Thanks for any advice.
                                                     Indoe
Crabbyboy

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2003, 03:41:09 PM »

one good method is to tie a large jimmy's swimmer leg to a string that is atattched to a stick.  The jimmy will atract red sign crabs to mate with.  When you see the two crabs double up pull them in and net them both.  the the peeler and put the jimmy back in the water and repeat.  that is the only method i am familiar enough to explain.  Good luck!
      Crabbyboy
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2003, 07:26:00 PM »

There was a day that you could take a basket, stick it in an inner tube, walk through the thick bay grasses and scoop them up.  Or just take a net that had a roller on the bottom and do the same thing.  Now soft crabs are fished by using peeler pots.  Crabboys method will work or you can net doublers swimming by.  The thing is the doublers are probably the only crabs that will make it to successfully breeding.

Peeler pots are just regular crab pots that are baited with a jimmy, no bait.  The peelers are then taken to “floats’ to sluf or are sold for bait.  They have zero chance of surviving.  If you catch a peeler and you are near the water sluf it out yourself.  Or if you want to eat softcrabs, buy them.. The ones you buy are already doomed......  

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
Crabbyboy

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2003, 04:26:03 PM »

if you go to the home page of crab archives there is a whole section on catching soft crabs.
      Crabbyboy
cw4340

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2003, 06:16:38 PM »

crabbyboy sad it right go to main page theres so much information here its unreal shore wish i would have had this much info when i started crabin  thanks again steve

eelfisher

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2003, 08:40:19 PM »

yeah steve, what cw said. your site is fantastic.
NJ Grasshopper

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2003, 12:59:45 AM »

Agree    Agreeeeee

Thanks again Steve --------
Teacher

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2003, 05:33:43 PM »

Hey Guys,

You got me thinking about using A Jimmy to attract females ready to molt.  If my biology is correct thoses little Sallies are about to become a Sook and will breed for their first and only time.  They can't (females) mate unless they are soft shell.  If you pull them for soft shells you deprive the fishery of millions of eggs and the chance to turn around a fishery.

I'm sorry, I will continue to use the Sallies to catch Jimmies, but what a waste.  Almost as short sighted crab berry soup.
cw4340

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2003, 09:22:37 PM »

TEACHER WHEN MOTHER NATURE WANTS TO GIVE BACK CRABS SHE WILL
Teacher

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2003, 01:32:21 PM »

CW,

Funny, but I know you have to be kidding.  I believe that nature is there for our use, not abuse.  Nature never helped anyone who didn't help themselves.

We all must do our part, and sometimes that involves a little common sense.

Rackem

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2003, 03:55:40 PM »

Teacher, maybe you should change your nic to "Preacher", sarcasim never plays well typed. Please explain "Mother Nature never helps anyone who does not help themselves", sounds a bit convoluted. Top of the food chain !!!!!!!!!!!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home