December 12, 2019, 08:03:32 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: stainless steel wire  (Read 5801 times)
crabin in ct

Ignore
« on: February 15, 2010, 06:04:08 PM »

does anyone have a good source for stainless wire to make handline rigs.i tried nj tackle in point plesant nobody their today
crabin in ct

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 06:50:29 PM »

come on guys 32 views ,no suggestions.help.ive got 200lbs of lead and a mold just need to find wire
CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 06:50:34 PM »

How are you making your rigs?  What is the wire for?  Are you making bait clips?  Simple way is just take some twine & tie a fishing dipsey to it with another piece of short line to tie the bait on.  

23' C Hawk
crabin in ct

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 06:53:13 PM »

ill post a pic of a store bought and post it
crabin in ct

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 07:08:19 PM »

I am reinventing the wheel and I am looking for stainless wire to build these. I am sick of paying $3.25 a piece for these. I can make them myself at home I just need the wire.

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 07:11:12 PM »

Do a Google surch under STAINLESS STEEL WIRE , there is a ton of places that have it .  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
captcweed

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 07:11:43 PM »

stainless welding rod will work.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 07:13:26 PM »

stainless welding rod will work.
You can get that at allot of places , Home Depot , Lowes . or all most any hard ware store.

crabin in ct

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 07:18:28 PM »

ive looked at hardware stores and the big orange one all nickle plated steel.ill tri the welding wire thing but i think its to thin
ILLSWIMHOME
Lifetime Member

Shake N Bake

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 09:12:45 PM »

Welding supply store. 

There's one near me but I don't think they ship.  If you're hard up, send me a PM and I'll stop in on the way into workthis week and ask em for ya.

Crab on!

Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 11:49:20 PM »

Welding supply store. 

There's one near me but I don't think they ship.  If you're hard up, send me a PM and I'll stop in on the way into workthis week and ask em for ya.

You are on the money - either  nickel or stainless tig wire 3/32 dia and you can slide it right inside a thawed neck bone where the spinal cord is and they can get it off - quick positive baiting - clip will last forever

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Captain A. G. Lamplugh
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »

How about wire coat hangers?  Roll Eyes Grin A lot of people have them and don't want them. You could possible get them for free from friends and family. We threw away a bunch not that long ago. I would have used them to make that if I thought of it. I don't know how long it would work as I am not sure what coat hangers are made of. Just an Idea. If you try it tell me how it works out.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 11:23:18 PM »

How about wire coat hangers?  Roll Eyes Grin A lot of people have them and don't want them. You could possible get them for free from friends and family. We threw away a bunch not that long ago. I would have used them to make that if I thought of it. I don't know how long it would work as I am not sure what coat hangers are made of. Just an Idea. If you try it tell me how it works out.

They work well.They will rust away but free ones are only minutes.

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Captain A. G. Lamplugh
PHILLY JOE
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 11:50:48 PM »

here is a site to get the ss wire. You have to watch what grade you get because not all is spring wire. grades 17-7 and 302 are spring grade which i believe you would need. most other grades do not spring back and will break with constant bending. Copy and paste the entire address and it will take you to the page you need.  I don't know if you know decimal equivalents to get the size you need so I'll give a few to give you an idea       .032 dia is 1/32 inch.   .062 dia. is 1/16th inch dia.  .093 is 3/32.    .125dia is 1/8th

http://www.smallparts.com/s?ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=subjectbin%2Cmaterial_browse%2Cmanufacturer%2Citem_package_quantity%2Citem_shape%2Cmeasurement_system%2Ctolerance_held%2Cbrandtextbin%2Cenc-merchantbin%2Cavailability_class%2Citem_diameter_derived%2Citem_length_derived&pf_rd_r=1BVQ19STM5CX4VQMT85F&pf_rd_p=417978501&searchNodeID=16414431&pf_rd_i=16414431&searchRank=salesrank&pf_rd_s=center-2&searchSize=15&pf_rd_m=AIUBT5HP6PMAF&field_material_browse=16418671&pf_rd_t=101&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cmaterial_browse%2Cmanufacturer%2Citem_package_quantity%2Citem_shape%2Cmeasurement_system%2Ctolerance_held%2Cbrandtextbin%2Cenc-merchantbin%2Cavailability_class%2Citem_diameter_derived%2Citem_length_derived&gclid=CJj6hvuH-58CFaAO5Qod7kTAnA

Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 12:15:40 AM »

I have had success with some fairly brittle wire by warping it around a 3/8 inch bolt as the picture indicates. To small of radius will indeed cause the wire to break.

Captain A. G. Lamplugh

jeepthing75

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 01:19:47 AM »

try mcmaster-carr
mdjohn

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 08:20:25 AM »

Think outside the envelope - and come up with a better, easier solution

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 10:44:05 PM by mdjohn » Logged
Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 11:13:15 AM »

Braided line is the only way to fly.

Captain A. G. Lamplugh
Chef Lar
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 11:20:12 AM »

I use re-useable zip ties. Key word would be re-useableWink Grin Found 'em at Harbor Freight one time

"Don't be a dumbass." Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 11:22:49 AM »

can get them almost any hardware store or Lowe's or Home Depot.  Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print