December 14, 2018, 12:20:17 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THROW THE FEMALES BACK! PERIOD! PART II  (Read 46802 times)
HenPot
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2005, 06:07:31 PM »

Joe, no species can survive without proper sex ratio.

I think my days may be numbered then!
procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2005, 07:52:18 AM »

your right about habitat, but I think thats gone forever

not so! grassbeds are on the increase.  many reports of them wehre they havent been for 50 years.  if the asian oyster takes hold, we could be back in business within a few years.  the sewege tax in MD is going to help further.  last year wasnt all that bad, correlated with increases in grassbeds over the last two years.  and to quote you, you said this year has been the best in 10. hope is still there

one note.  some incompetant boob (EPA??), probably funded by developers, wants to have the lower susquahana declared healthy in regards to nutrient polution.  he needs to be stopped, and fired!

Felinis

Live Long and Prosper

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2005, 08:46:47 AM »

OK - I am going to stick my nose into the buzz-saw:

When you tell me that mature female crabs that have already given birth once are capable of doing it again, maybe, if they live long enough and if the harsh DelMarVa climate allows, I said OK, I can afford to let that rare mature female crab go.

Up until Friday I had only seen a hand-full of females of any description.  I was told that mostly they hang out in Virginia, and that seemed to be the case.

One out of twenty - fine let them go.  One out of ten - OK no problem.

THIS WEEKEND ONE HALF OF MY CATCH WERE MATURE FEMALES!
Annapolis pier - Saturday took home seven Jimmies in six hours, threw back six sallys.
Sunday kept another seven Jimmies in eight, threw back six more mature females.
Some others caught nothing but sallys.

People on the pier thought that I was NUTS!

What is going on here?  I spent fourteen hours crabbing in the hot sun and you expect me to throw back HALF MY CATCH?  To tell other people to do this as well?

You have got to be kidding.
crabologist
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2005, 09:30:55 AM »

Wait until late in the season when almost all of your catch is females.......................

Live To Crab And Crab To Live !!!!
tweetybug

« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2005, 09:56:11 AM »

This post is directed moreso toward recreational crabbers.  This site has flourished into a multitude of information for all crabbers - new, old, pro and family. 
I have always agreed with throwing the females back although I keep an eye on factual information that may prove otherwise.
Since changing regulations and improving water quality has not increased crab population as much, I offer a challenge to ask all/most crabbers here to try for this season to throw them back.  Then over the next 2 seasons see if there has been an increase in population. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I feel this is a debate that will not end until every possible solution has been tried.

I know all crabbers here do not constitute ALL crabbers but enough of them do pass the site to make a dent.

And yes before anyone else says it, let me be the first...I AM CRAZY.

It's not about who's right or wrong it's about more crabs for us to eat ! Wink

Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2005, 09:59:34 AM »

It's more than that Tweety, we want our future generations to share in the we have all enjoyed. Wink

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
tweetybug

« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2005, 10:19:12 AM »

I understand it's more than that, my suggestion was based only on our part in the problem.
Every other poster used the other aspects such as regs, waterman and fisheries.

Which by the way, if regs were stricter it still means less takehome crabs ?

crabologist
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2005, 10:27:54 AM »

What's the general opinion on throwing back all immature female PEELERS ? We know that they haven't had a chance to lay any eggs . I know that these are big business , but every time I buy them for bait , it seems like they're all small females . Correct me if I'm wrong , but aren't they the ones we should be throwing back more so then the mature ones ??

Live To Crab And Crab To Live !!!!
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2005, 10:39:12 AM »

YES.......Absolutely!!!! If you read back a few pages, it was exactly what I was saying. Here we're chastizing telling people to throw back the females that already mated and may/ or may not have another brood in them, but paying no attention to the "Sure thing". It's a "sure thing" that these immature females have NOT mated yet. Let's protect them first. I love a good mature female. I personally think they taste the best and despite getting beat up on this board for that, I'll never say whether or not I keep them...... Wink

...I can get onboard with that, ALL day long. Ban the taken of immature females.
J.M.O.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2005, 05:32:27 PM »

C-MON CHRIS NOBODY BEAT YOU UP............................
THIS IS A DISCUSSION FORUM  AND A GREAT PLACE TO LEARN
THERES A LOT OF DIFFERENT PERSONALITY'S AND OPINIONS HERE
IF YOU TOSS YOUR 2 CENTS IN HERE "SOMEONE" WILL BE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COIN, JUST AS WILLING TO DEFEND THEIR SIDE OF THE ARGUEMENT Cool

AS FAR AS THE FEMALES GO

I THROW THEM ALL BACK, BETTER SAFE THAN NO CRABS LATER

RUSS

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2005, 05:44:10 PM »

Yeah, your right. Poor choice of words on my part. Smiley

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
crabfred

« Reply #111 on: August 12, 2005, 09:05:10 AM »

The "Mating" section of this web site states quite clearly that the female mates only once in her lifetime, and very early in that lifetime.  Is this an error?  Returning females to the water, or not, is quite the debate up here in Connecticut for the recreational crabbers (no commercial crabbers up here).  In our very short season, females make up a small percentage of the population, maybe 20 to 25 percent.  I have always tossed back the sooks, especially because of this ratio.  Now, this web site is being cited as the source for validating the practice of keeping mature females!  Is the possibility of a second or third sponge speculation or science?  Do we know?

DTownCrabber
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2005, 09:23:40 AM »

Is the possibility of a second or third sponge speculation or science?  Do we know?

Fred it is science....we went to the science aquarium in Baltimore and they have had females have up to I believe 5 sponges at there location and at another science aquarium they have had females with up to 8 sponges

Why ask WYE...MUMBO'S BABY!!
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: August 12, 2005, 09:49:47 AM »

In addition they don't drop their eggs all at once, so unless your some sort of crab gynocologist you won't know what's baking in the oven. Wink

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
Oldbayme

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: August 25, 2005, 01:01:51 PM »

Check out the article in the Washington post express for Wednesday Aug 25.  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/express/.  Its about the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center studies on female crabs in the Chesapeake..  They state that in the last 10 years the number of female has dropped more than 80%.  The SERC ties the rapid decline of crabs to over fishing, pesticide and fertilizer runoff, and habitat destruction.  That should be enough warning for anyone to throw the girls back.  Those wanting to point fingers can blame the farmers and over-development.  I cant control that but I can control what to keep and what to throw back. Just my opinion

procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: August 25, 2005, 02:42:07 PM »

80% drop in female population???  it occurs every year between october and may... it is called winter.  although i wouldnt say it scientifically, because many people are depending on funding their research on this hype,  the numbers they arrive at are completely controversial and catered to proving a hypothesis.  likewise i can come up with equal statistics stating how MALE CRABS AFFECT RECRUITMENT MORE THAN FEMALE CRABS SO YOU ARE DOING MORE HARM KEEPING THE JUMBOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  it is great when the bad guy ARE NOT YOU!!!  but face the fact YOU ARE THE DESTROYER OF THE CRAB POPULATION BY KEEPING THE LARGE MALES, actually i keep large males too ... so so am i...

everyone wants to point the finder at everyone else... but when you do, three fingers point back at your male killing self. and without large males, females produce 1/5 as many eggs
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 02:45:42 PM by procrabber » Logged

procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: August 25, 2005, 02:49:44 PM »

80% drop in female population???  it occurs every year between october and may... it is called winter.  although i wouldnt say it scientifically, because many people are depending on funding their research on this hype,  the numbers they arrive at are completely controversial and catered to proving a hypothesis.  likewise i can come up with equal statistics stating how MALE CRABS AFFECT RECRUITMENT MORE THAN FEMALE CRABS SO YOU ARE DOING MORE HARM KEEPING THE JUMBOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  it is great when the bad guy ARE NOT YOU!!!  but face the fact YOU ARE THE DESTROYER OF THE CRAB POPULATION BY KEEPING THE LARGE MALES, actually i keep large males too ... so so am i...

everyone wants to point the finder at everyone else... but when you do, three fingers point back at your male killing self. and without large males, females produce 1/5 as many eggs

ok, sorry... forgot to add the  Wink to show that im really just trying to enlighten, and dont have any kind of agenda

Seaweed
Supporting Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2005, 02:56:50 PM »

[quote author=procrabber link=topic=3824.msg58510#msg58510

This is the way all issues work with crabbing:  the recs point at the comm, the comm. point at the farmers, the rednecks point at NY and NJ...  the only way to make real laws that really work is to eliminate politcs.    And the only way to eliminate politics is to eliminate human beings.

Ain't gonna happen.

I would like to say for the record, the I think that the winter dredge season in VA is the most detrimental fishery against the crabbing stock, and I would do anything I could to end it.  I think it really fowls things up, for God's sake, let the [dang] things have a few months of rest Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

Git 'r dun!
mdjohn

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: August 25, 2005, 04:37:45 PM »

you're right sw

especially since the crabs they dredge up tastes like [curd] - meat has sand in it. I guess from the shells and the pickers get it on their fingers. Yes I ate it years ago never again

they should ban dredging - where do I sign the petition deal2
Islander
Lifetime Member

"Life is simple, its just not easy."

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: August 25, 2005, 04:52:06 PM »

they should ban dredging - where do I sign the petition deal2

I'm with you guys, but I don't think VA would care if the whole state of Maryland signed that petition.  Undecided

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home