January 17, 2021, 10:18:31 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deadliest Catch  (Read 12312 times)
CrabCraver

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2005, 10:30:26 PM »

But unfortunitely, it is just another over-exploited fishery.
What did they say? the season use to be 3 months long.....and they would set the pots across 600 yards, now its six miles... Cry Cry
captbill

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2005, 07:29:43 AM »

Well first off the King crab fishery is not over exploited as far as its sustainable population goes. Seasons end up this way to keep the harvest at the "polically correct levels". This is the last season of the "derby" fishery after this it will go to "IFQ's". This system favors the larger coporations and not the  "Mom and Pop" boats who you realy want.
 I used to work a longliner in the same area before the "IFQ's" set in. While I will agree that the derby fishery is hazzardous, at best, it still puts more money into lower and middle class pockets. It is the small fishing businesses that take care of the resource and the community.
mitchellseafood

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2005, 08:11:19 AM »

All three episodes are being shown today for anyone who has missed it Kiss
Felinis

Live Long and Prosper

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2005, 12:44:03 PM »

Ironic thing - I have been to Alaska four times and have never had crab there.  You can order some good halubit there, but all of the crab is exported out of state.
CrAbBeRpEzZ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2005, 09:17:46 PM »

another good episode.  good to see the one greenhorn got a nice bonus    any1 catch wats gonna happen next week

DTownCrabber
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2005, 08:58:51 AM »

yes Pezz....they start the next run and bad things happen.....this is the season when they lose a boat i believe  Sad Sad

Why ask WYE...MUMBO'S BABY!!
Big AL

Keep smiling

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2005, 09:09:46 AM »

It's  Erra,sorta like crabbin on the Wye wid da King  Grin Grin Almost as dangerous  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

W W C
kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Elvis has left the building....

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2005, 10:26:20 AM »

It's  Erra,sorta like crabbin on the Wye wid da King  Grin Grin Almost as dangerous  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
dont know bout that dangerous part ,big Al  Undecided Undecided whence I'm out crabbin wit anyonr,they usually refer to me as ballast  wink2 tongue2 tongue2 tongue2 tongue2 laugh4

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press? ...The Joker
Crabslayer
Supporting Member

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter soon to be Java Sea

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2005, 11:19:35 AM »

While I will agree that the derby fishery is hazzardous, at best, it still puts more money into lower and middle class pockets.

But look at the cost.  Sometimes loss of life.  Where the H*ll is OSHA!  Angry  If this was some other industry OSHA would be all over them.

This is how it's going to go.  After I kick your A$$ i'm going to run you through the wood chipper and put you in containers in the freezer to use in my crab pots!  The really sad part?  You let an old man kick your A$$!!!
stuff

i dont need it but i got to have it

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2005, 11:27:42 AM »

there not gonna go out on them boats for that, beside what can they do to make it more safe, if they extended the season than they would not rush and get careless

captbill

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2005, 11:32:30 AM »

Yes OSHA wouild be all over them if it was any other industry. The loss of life will not go down under the IFQ system. Most likely they will see the old hands getting out which translates to a bigger hazzard.
  I am by no means minimizing any loss of life, however I worked offshore for years in differant places. It is a hazzardous enviroment, there will be loss of life. Every other country is willing to mecept that, here we are not prepared to ecept it.
Crabslayer
Supporting Member

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter soon to be Java Sea

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2005, 01:45:21 PM »

I realize that there are hazards at sea.  That is a given.  But the way that I see that these guys are driven without proper rest that LEADS to the hazards, it is unexcuseable.  A truck driver is only allowed to drive so many hours and must keep a log, even though many times those logs aren't always true.

I guess because the hazards are only to the crew and not any other seafarer that this somehow makes it ok.  But then again when the rescuers are called in these folks haft to put their lifes on the line.  Money is the driving factor!!

I must commend the captain with the older crew who developed gear and methods that are easier on them.  I would much prefer to work for someone like him.

This is how it's going to go.  After I kick your A$$ i'm going to run you through the wood chipper and put you in containers in the freezer to use in my crab pots!  The really sad part?  You let an old man kick your A$$!!!
CrAbBeRpEzZ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2005, 01:52:02 PM »

ya i liked how they had all the gear that didnt make the people have to bend over and lift so much
scooter

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2005, 08:50:34 AM »

i could be totally out of it, but is the proper plural of crab also crab? all this time i have been calling them crabs, but noticed on the show its always "fishing for crab" and not "crabbing for crabs"  Undecided
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2005, 08:56:58 AM »

ya i liked how they had all the gear that didnt make the people have to bend over and lift so much
Yeah, and OSHA wrote me a $500 fine cause I only had a hand rail on one side of the stairs Angry

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2005, 09:02:54 AM »

I am sorry, wrong topic, thought you were talking about my wife here. Roll Eyes Wink

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
captbill

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2005, 07:04:03 AM »

Yes the long hours make it much worse and I do wish that could be changed. Hours like that are pretty well the norm in alot of offshore fisheries.
  I can not see more regulations as the way. I fished longliners for short stints in my younger years off both coasts. We rarely got more than 4 hours of sleep a day while working gear. You slept on the way out and on the way back.
  I still know people in those industries and it has not changed. The real question is one of economics.
  You have to make good money to keep good crew. We compete in all fisheries with imports.
  Most of the imported product is produced at a substantialy less overhead. A large part fo that that it is the U.S. fisherman who abided by the regulations. International fisheries treaties are wothless outside U.S. waters.
 As a by note, yes Blue crab is imported and suffers competition from import meats ( of very low quality and low price). King crab is also imported from the Russians, Koreans and Chinese (who harvest it completely illegally).
CrAbBeRpEzZ

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2005, 01:49:19 PM »

New season hasnt even started and already there are people dead,  thats just not right,  besides that though another pretty good show
madcrab

Say hello to my littl' friend!!

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2005, 03:56:50 PM »

All for the $$$$$$$....can't resist it...even if it's gonna kill ya... Lips Sealed

"...as a free man, I take pride in saying, I am a doughnut."
crabologist
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2005, 04:16:34 AM »

Just don't seem like enough money to me ............................That's a heck of a risk to take for a couple thousand dollars ..

Live To Crab And Crab To Live !!!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home