November 20, 2018, 02:36:24 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VMRC Votes to continue restrictions for 2010  (Read 8021 times)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« on: April 28, 2010, 11:15:13 AM »

14.  BLUE CRAB:  Presentation of the results of the 2009/2010 Winter Dredge Survey. Request for public hearing to establish the 2010 regulations for commercial and recreational crabbing. THE COMMISSION VOTED UNANIMOUSLY TO ADVERTISE FOR A FINAL VOTE IN MAY THE CONTINUATION OF BLUE CRAB REGULATIONS CURRENTLY IN PLACE, AS THE COMMISSION’S STOCK-REBUILDING PROGRAM ENTERS THE THIRD YEAR.  THE COMMISSION ALSO SIGNALED ITS WILLINGNESS TO INDEFINITELY EXTEND THE MORATORIUM THAT HAS BEEN IN PLACE SINCE 1999 ON THE ISSUANCE OF NEW COMMERCIAL CRAB PERMITS.
THE COMMISSION REBUFFED REQUESTS FROM SOME COMMERCIAL CRABBERS TO OPEN LARGE SECTIONS OF THE CRAB SANCTUARY, SOUGHT IN LIGHT OF NEW SCIENTIFIC DATA THAT SHOWS A SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT IN CRAB ABUNDANCE BAYWIDE, BUT SIGNALED WILLINGNESS TO RELAX THE EXISTING BLACK SPONGE POSSESSION RULE TO ALLOW POSSESSION OF THOSE CRABS AS OF JULY 1, INSTEAD OF JULY 16. THE CRAB INDUSTRY REQUESTED THE POSSESSION RULE TO BE EFFECTIVE AS OF JUNE 1.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 11:39:44 AM »

I can't believe that VA allows them to possess any stage of sponge crab - anytime. Ridiculous!
Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 01:00:37 PM »

I can't believe that VA allows them to possess any stage of sponge crab - anytime. Ridiculous!

It may be a feast or famine ruling to keep industry alive.

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

— Captain A. G. Lamplugh
moduman2

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »

They must not be to sure of there 60% increase statistics they announced.
lone sailor

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 12:42:34 PM »

One year of positive growth is just not enough for a reduction in the regs.

Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 01:06:04 PM »

I agree. The longer the time line the more accurate the results of the data will be.

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

— Captain A. G. Lamplugh
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 05:30:38 PM »

Thats just because it don't effect y'all,if they shut rec fishing or crabbing down for a year or 2 and came out with a report that said it had rebounded 60 percent you would be screaming to open it up.

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 05:37:47 PM »

I agree. The longer the time line the more accurate the results of the data will be.

As Long as Politics and MONEY are  involved, you'll NEVER SEE TRUE DATA.......................It's all rigged for the Grant Cash....
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 07:16:08 PM »

Thats just because it don't effect y'all,if they shut rec fishing or crabbing down for a year or 2 and came out with a report that said it had rebounded 60 percent you would be screaming to open it up.
Affects me.. My 5 pot license is limited to 4 months.  Can't fish the 2-3 best months.... I'm not screaming...  Undecided

reds
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 07:43:37 PM »

Affects me.. My 5 pot license is limited to 4 months.  Can't fish the 2-3 best months.... I'm not screaming..Undecided

It not hurting your income either. If it had a bearing on that, I'd hear the scream from here.

Crabslayer

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 07:51:45 PM »

Wrong.  It is now 2 years.  The result of the 2009 results was a 50% increase.  2010 was 60%.  Yet 2009 was one of our worst years and they told us that we harvested more.  Not according to our records.

Do you really want a guy who taxed the rain in the White House?
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 07:53:21 PM »

Ya all don't crab in VA... Do Ya?  Huh

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 07:55:03 PM »

It not hurting your income either. If it had a bearing on that, I'd hear the scream from here.
We live on a fixed income of 50k a year.  So, food on the table does affect us....

R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 08:02:31 PM »

We live on a fixed income of 50k a year.  So, food on the table does affect us....
And you didn't have all the crabs you needed last year?

- John Wayne
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 08:07:52 PM »

And you didn't have all the crabs you needed last year?
And who said we didn't?  Huh   You crab the Chessterpeake?  Huh

reds
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 08:08:52 PM »

Yeah and waterfront property in Virginia is worthless. Bwahahahaha. Tomato plants are inexpensive. Make great sauce.

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 08:17:52 PM »

Yeah and waterfront property in Virginia is worthless. Bwahahahaha. Tomato plants are inexpensive. Make great sauce.

Don't ya wish ya would have bought more back in the 60's.... wall

R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2010, 10:48:31 PM »

And who said we didn't?  Huh   You crab the Chessterpeake?  Huh
So the regs didn't affect you at all,losing 1/4th of your gear and 2 months of using the rest,you made my point.

- John Wayne
lone sailor

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 11:56:51 AM »

I guess what we are all sayin is that there needs to be some give and take.
phillyfireman
Lifetime Member

love crabbing and elk hunting

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 12:31:25 PM »

So with that logic the only good science is where the outcome benefits the commercial crabber. In MD recs cant keep female crab 1. I see no recs crying about that.(good job recs) and Son,  stop telling me what I would say, in one of your created scenarios

1 or 2 years is not good science and establishing harvest terms on 1 year of results is irresponsible,and in the long run may hurt everybody including the comms.  without the resource we have nothing!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 12:43:14 PM by phillyfireman » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home