November 28, 2021, 09:54:41 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Staying in OBX memorial day week, how can I catch crabs?  (Read 3622 times)
tftnewb

Ignore
« on: May 05, 2010, 10:43:34 AM »

I plan on camping in Oregon Inlet and Frisco. I was thinking of trying to drop pots off of a bridge with the kids. What do you think I should do?
Summertop
Lifetime Member

Now the search begins!!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 01:12:18 PM »

I plan on camping in Oregon Inlet and Frisco. I was thinking of trying to drop pots off of a bridge with the kids. What do you think I should do?

If you are referring to the OI bridge, the current is way to strong and the bridge way to high to get anything done.  Down past Frisco there are some small canals that hold small crabs but nothing worth keeping.  Gene on here might be able to help further.

Now the search begins...
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 03:15:58 PM »

ST yeah I agree.  you can try the small bridge on the causeway that goes over to Manteo / Roanoke Island... it is before the big bridge that spans the sound.. or try collington road bridge behind the wright brother memorila MP 8 off the Croatan highway...on the right hand side heading south  .. just past the first brigde on the right is a place to pull over and you can crab from the bulk head I caught a few keepers there , but I really think you need a boat to do better.  Ask Genecrabman he will know best..... or if worse case he can hook you up with some real nice crabs at a good price..

MD / PA Line
tftnewb

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 07:47:28 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I am willing to go anywhere the crabs are. Will we be able to catch any or is it too early in the season? If going on a boat, we would need to rent. Is there a prime location to crab trapping with a rental boat? I am willing to go anywhere on the OBX I just want to try and catch some crabs and eat them later. I am thinking that I would like to meet up with Gene the Crab man and buy crabs from him in addition to trying to catch them.

Any other advice?
Summertop
Lifetime Member

Now the search begins!!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 07:52:48 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I am willing to go anywhere the crabs are. Will we be able to catch any or is it too early in the season? If going on a boat, we would need to rent. Is there a prime location to crab trapping with a rental boat? I am willing to go anywhere on the OBX I just want to try and catch some crabs and eat them later. I am thinking that I would like to meet up with Gene the Crab man and buy crabs from him in addition to trying to catch them.

Any other advice?

Lake Mattamuskett is about 1.5hours away but a great drive.  You can crab the canals from the shore and catch decent crabs.  Do a search on here and you will find some posts on it. 

http://www.mattamuskeet.org/

Now the search begins...

CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 12:15:12 PM »

Any other advice?

Gene can hook you up with Crabs.. Nice guy, but don't tell him I told you that... laugh laugh  He is on here most days....Look up "Half Fast seafood"  ...

MD / PA Line
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 02:12:15 PM »

There plenty of crabs around the OBX right now, they are a lil light due to the fact they justy went thru a shed, but they are Big and will have some good meat in em..Check with Fishing Unlimited they rent boat, they are in Nags Head on the Causeway..You can catch all you want just North of there Place..Theres penty there right now, I can't tell you they will be there in 2 more weeks...If you can't get enough just give me a call, Gene
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 03:14:13 PM »

There plenty of crabs around the OBX right now, they are a lil light due to the fact they justy went thru a shed, but they are Big and will have some good meat in em..Check with Fishing Unlimited they rent boat, they are in Nags Head on the Causeway..You can catch all you want just North of there Place..Theres penty there right now, I can't tell you they will be there in 2 more weeks...If you can't get enough just give me a call, Gene

Nice info Gene......where will they be mid June...?   laugh laugh

MD / PA Line
genecrabman

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »

In my baskets...........I HOPE Grin
Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 01:44:21 AM »

The mouth of the Bush River Grin

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Captain A. G. Lamplugh

dantheman2929

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 06:45:21 AM »

I just hope gene let enough of them get dow to Topsail so i can catch some Smiley 3 weeks and getting closer woooo. It will be the longest 3 weeks of the year!
genecrabman

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 05:39:31 PM »

Crabs are thick here right now................It might be a good time to be here now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I'm Crabbing a few Hard Crab Pots tomorrow, I'll be sure to post some pics...... Wink
dantheman2929

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 09:56:54 PM »

I have heard the same about Topsail from some friends, one of them was telling me he was flounder fishing with a double buck tail rig and was bringing in atleast 2 crabs on every cast! I just hope they are still running good in 3 weeks as well as the shrimp!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home