August 23, 2019, 09:20:44 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: razor clams in nj  (Read 6297 times)
teddysclaw

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2010, 01:59:10 AM »

First off, I'd like to start off with asking what types of razor clams that the crabs go crazy for.  I've seen two types.  the really long, flat sharper looking kind
aka
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/222476638/Razor_Clam_Bamboo_Clam_.jpg

or the rounder, shorter type of clams here's a pic.

http://www.bombayharbor.com/productImage/0267305001246435446/Frozen_Razor_Clam.jpg

I have only been able to find the first type of razor clam, but not the second type.  Does it matter which type it is?  And if it does, who sells razors in nj for crab bait.  Or just sells them period.

I'm looking to try different methods of crabbing using different traps/pots/lines and different baits.  Any help would be appreciated.

Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 08:08:06 AM »

what we use looks like the second type.  def not the first.  Don't know where you can get them in Jersey

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee
teddysclaw

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 10:57:59 AM »

Mr. Breeze, have you ever tried using the top clams?  Or has anyone else tried using them?  Did a bunch of research on these, and couldn't find a single thread regarding the top clams.  Closest thing i found differentiating clams was a thread that stated to use Hudson River clams only, and not clams from the Barnegat.  But it didn't explain why.

If anyone has tried the top clams, please let me know, as they are the only razor clams I can obtain.  IF anyone knows any tackle shops/marinas that carry these also, that'd be much appreciated.  thank u.

edit:  Is there a supplier who can ship for cheap?  And when using razor clams in the mesh bags, do u crack them open, or just leave them whole in the shell.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 11:03:32 AM by teddysclaw » Logged

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home