August 15, 2018, 01:18:04 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: marine fisheries considering gulf closure.  (Read 4571 times)
4Seasons Seafood

Ignore
« on: June 10, 2010, 07:56:09 PM »

I have heard marine fisheries is considering closing the gulf. In two weeks time. Has anyone heard anythng about this. 
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 09:20:49 PM »

I just watched the local news and nothing was said about any more closures in the local area.

Ronnie

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 10:36:50 PM »

They adjust the closuer in Federal water daily as needed,they have opened 2 places back up in the last week,you really should go to some of the state and federal web sites and LEARN about it before posting your local rumors on the internet which could have a impact on your ability to sell Fla seafood.

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 10:53:07 PM »

RD

Right now that oil is sitting on top of some of the best tuna fishing in the gulf.  No one has a clue on what this disbursement is doing to the fisheries.  Most of the coastline of La. West of the Mississippi River is closed to all fishing, commercial and recreational.

let the good times roll
4Seasons Seafood

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 04:26:23 AM »

Only reason i ask is my brother at hernando beach seafood was told we had two weeks left aproximatley. They also had a meeting about license fees looking for a six  month extension on all fees
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 04:41:29 AM by 4Seasons Seafood » Logged

R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 07:36:47 AM »

Only reason i ask is my brother at hernando beach seafood was told we had two weeks left aproximatley. They also had a meeting about license fees looking for a six  month extension on all fees
All your licenses should have already been bought the notices came out 2 or 3 months ago and the new tags have to be on your traps in 3 weeks.

- John Wayne
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 07:41:35 AM »

RD

Right now that oil is sitting on top of some of the best tuna fishing in the gulf.  No one has a clue on what this disbursement is doing to the fisheries.  Most of the coastline of La. West of the Mississippi River is closed to all fishing, commercial and recreational.
We have 2 boats here that go over and Tuna/King fish every year after stone crab season,BP did call both of them to go to work yesterday.

- John Wayne
ACFISHERIES

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 08:25:20 AM »

If they can't afford their license fee's they don't need to be in the business. Too many people got their hand out looking for a free ride.

Good dogs, Rotgut whiskey, All the BS you can stand
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 09:25:21 AM »

If they can't afford their license fee's they don't need to be in the business. Too many people got their hand out looking for a free ride.
I agree AC,everybody around here has filed a claim with BP,SOME OF THEM HAVE BEEN IMPACTED BUT MOST HAVE NOT,all the mullet fishermen got a check and now you can't find a mullet to buy anywhere up here,  Roll Eyes

- John Wayne
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 09:43:56 AM »

Right after BP announced that they were giving commercial fisherman 5,000 the number of commercial license issued soared.  Many got money they didn't deserve.  That's why BP is investigating and delaying payment to fisherman.  I know 1 guy that got money he didn't deserve.  Right now my fishing grounds are open and unaffected but the estuaries are being destroyed.  Adult crabs are OK but I fear we lost 1 maybe 2 generations of little crabs.  Only time will tell.

Ronnie

let the good times roll

ACFISHERIES

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 05:28:31 PM »

I worry more about the long term effects on our fisheries. I'm in this business for the long haul not short term welfare. I can still crab and sell crabs. I do worry about stone crab season, IF, IF it's affected I will file a claim or a lawsuit, but if I can crab I'll crab. Don't have any problem with legitimate claims but this reminds me of after a hurricane, all the honest people trying to get their life back and all the scumbags with their hand out crying the guvments screwing us. Pizzs me off!

Good dogs, Rotgut whiskey, All the BS you can stand
4Seasons Seafood

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 06:04:25 PM »

Hasnt affected me either. The article about the license fees is in st peterburg times. Woman in the picture is my sister kathy.I totally agree about what you guys said nobody deservs a free ride. Just want to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. My familys well being comes from crabing. 
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 07:24:14 PM »

Right after BP announced that they were giving commercial fisherman 5,000 the number of commercial license issued soared.  Many got money they didn't deserve.  That's why BP is investigating and delaying payment to fisherman.  I know 1 guy that got money he didn't deserve.  Right now my fishing grounds are open and unaffected but the estuaries are being destroyed.  Adult crabs are OK but I fear we lost 1 maybe 2 generations of little crabs.  Only time will tell.

Ronnie
Don't know about over there but our big spawn hasn't happened yet and they will spawn on into late Sept or early Oct.

- John Wayne
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 07:33:50 PM »

Hasnt affected me either. The article about the license fees is in st peterburg times. Woman in the picture is my sister kathy.I totally agree about what you guys said nobody deservs a free ride. Just want to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. My familys well being comes from crabing. 
Here you go, just remember if some of these endorsement are not renewed by Sept 30th you will lose them.

To: [email protected] fishing license renewal period extended

Gov. Charlie Crist is giving Florida’s commercial fishermen and seafood dealers an extra three months to renew their licenses this year.  The governor announced this action to help reduce financial hardships Florida’s fishing communities are experiencing due to the BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

“The commercial fishing industry needs some time to regroup because of misperceptions that Florida’s seafood has been affected by the oil spill,” Gov. Crist said.  “Our fishermen continue to harvest abundant amounts of fresh Florida seafood to supply fish markets and restaurants for people to enjoy, and we want to do whatever we can to help them continue to do that.”

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) has issued an order, which states that wholesale dealer, retail dealer and saltwater products licenses, endorsements and tags currently in effect for the 2009-2010 license year are extended from July 1 until Sept. 30.  This extension will allow the industry to harvest, purchase, sell or transport saltwater products after July 1 this year with their 2009-2010 licenses until their licenses are renewed for the 2010-2011 year or until Sept. 30, whichever is sooner.

The FWC order, which can be viewed online at MyFWC.com/OilSpill, takes effect at 12:01 a.m. on July 1 and will remain in effect through Sept. 30.  The order directs wholesale and retail dealers and all law enforcement officers to recognize the extension of the license year for the effected fishers, and all other provisions governing wholesale dealer, retail dealer and saltwater products licenses, endorsements and tags in Florida remain in effect.  This order does not change any other licensing rules, including renewal-qualifying periods.

“Gov. Crist’s decision to give Florida’s commercial fishing industry some relief is a good one,” said FWC Chairman Rodney Barreto.  “We intend to do everything we can to help these folks weather the damage being done because of the oil spill.”

More information on Florida’s commercial fishing regulations is available online at MyFWC.com/Rules; click on “Fishing – Saltwater.”

- John Wayne
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 07:37:18 PM »

I'm with you guys.  i planned my retirement from the fire dept. so I can crab till I'm 60 or so.  Just hope there are some crabs left.
I'll might have to talk to a lawyer defer any lawsuit just to make up the difference.

Ronnie

let the good times roll

capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 07:40:02 PM »

RD

We renew our license on Jan.1st.

Ronnie

let the good times roll
4Seasons Seafood

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 09:27:01 PM »

No sense paying for something you wont be able to use.[dang] shame to i just built 250 brand new traps at the beginning of spring. Got 40 more bent and just waiting to be put together.Dont know what to do . Start bringing them home or wait. It would probabaly be pretty messy all my gear soaked in oil.
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »

No sense paying for something you wont be able to use.[dang] shame to i just built 250 brand new traps at the beginning of spring. Got 40 more bent and just waiting to be put together.Dont know what to do . Start bringing them home or wait. It would probabaly be pretty messy all my gear soaked in oil.
Bring em home,shoot why wait because that oil may be there in 2 or 3 month or it may never come. AGAIN if your bluecrab endorsement is not renewed by Sept 30th you will lose it oil or no oil.

- John Wayne
4Seasons Seafood

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2010, 12:15:03 PM »

Definiteley not going to let any of my licenses go.My dad has held them for way to long he was the eleventh person in this state to be issued a crawfish license 125th in florida to recieve a stone crab endorsement c-11 x-125 . Just doesnt seem right not being able to use any of it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home