July 20, 2019, 03:55:38 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wye River 07-11-10 / Lost trot line  (Read 9373 times)
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 04:46:46 PM »

I have to ask.  Why is it easier to pull the line in without the bouy on the far end.  Even when I used to pull by hand, I'd start at one end and pick the anchor and bouy up and then run just around the line a little and then back over top.  Then stay over the line and pull it up as it loops just behind the boat.  The far bouy gives you something to aim at and helps you stay over the line.  It is so much easier than pulling from the front.  The couple of crabs you might dip while pulling the line from the front of the boat is nothing compared to making it easier on your self.  

Of course now with the winder, I still use the same technique but it is so much easier.  D-rings on the bouys, unclip and the winder will bring up the anchors to the side of the boat.  You guys can have pulling by hand.

Some people drop the anchor off one end, run to the other end and start pulling.  The line is now slack, so its easier to pull in.  And you don't have to pull the boat down the line.

Git 'r dun!
CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 04:48:53 PM »

Some seal the lids but I don't.  Space is too precious on my skiff, so the tops have to come off so gear can go in.  Doesn't make sense to have a perfectly good container that can't hold stuff.

HD sells new snap on lids for $1.  Mine are 2 years old & still going.  My only concern is that if it gets hit by a boat/jetski the lid will pop off for sure.  But there is little chance that will happen at both ends.  I usually have some very minor leakage at the end of the day.  Maybe a cup or 2 of water inside which is a small trade off for 10 gals worth of double duty storage/buoy.

23' C Hawk
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 04:49:27 PM »

Oh man, I'm going to the slammer for sure Tongue

In all seriousness, there's few things more disheartening than dropping your control anchor and watching your float disappear.  Worse when you could avoid it with longer lines and a bigger float.  So I'm probably going to go with the 5 gal orange "homer bucket" approach.  Do you guys seal the buckets or are they fairly airtight when you put the lids on them?

I would seal the lids if I were you. The lids on those buckets sometimes do not stay on very well. I used to use buckets, but sometimes just wave action, or the bumps from your prop stick, will knock the lid off.  Bye-bye-bucket.  Not to mention people running them over. Sad  IMO fuel jugs are much more durable.  If they get water in them, you can just pour it back out.

Git 'r dun!
eggsniffer

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2010, 04:50:30 PM »

Some seal the lids but I don't.  Space is too precious on my skiff, so the tops have to come off so gear can go in.  Doesn't make sense to have a perfectly good container that can't hold stuff.

HD sells new snap on lids for $1.  Mine are 2 years old & still going.  My only concern is that if it gets hit by a boat/jetski the lid will pop off for sure.  But there is little chance that will happen at both ends.  I usually have some very minor leakage at the end of the day.  Maybe a cup or 2 of water inside which is a small trade off for 10 gals worth of double duty storage/buoy.

The storage thing you mentioned is exactly why I asked about sealing.  That's great!  Thanks for the input!
ILLSWIMHOME
Lifetime Member

Shake N Bake

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »

Stupid question since I've never used a trotline, but if you're using the buckets as buoys could you fill maybe 1/4 of the bottom of the bucket with some foam like the "right stuff" kind and still have room for storage?  That way if the lid popped off it would still kind of float near the top?  Just curious.

Crab on!

Captain C

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2010, 11:13:13 PM »

Stupid question since I've never used a trotline, but if you're using the buckets as buoys could you fill maybe 1/4 of the bottom of the bucket with some foam like the "right stuff" kind and still have room for storage?  That way if the lid popped off it would still kind of float near the top?  Just curious.

stupid thumbsup
ILLSWIMHOME
Lifetime Member

Shake N Bake

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2010, 12:01:44 AM »

Yea see, he's with me......wait a minute.... Undecided

Crab on!
kcullip2006

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2010, 12:25:19 AM »

idea3

"May all your peach, orange, laundry baskets and coolers, be filled." Tongue
crabberone

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2010, 10:01:53 PM »

CaptMoose: I see your crabbing off a skiff.......how is your crabbing line prop attached to your skiff?   I have a 19' center console skiff and am trying to look @ different ideas of how to attach the line prop. 
Thanks for any info.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home