December 14, 2019, 09:22:22 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7-11-10 Gunpodwer  (Read 5238 times)
Captain Seaweed

I LOVE CRABS

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2010, 01:28:33 PM »

Hit the gun at 5:30 headed to Maxwell Point dropped thirty traps. Got some nice looking 7, 7 1/2, 8, and 8 1/2 crabs . Was in 7 to 10 ft and was off the river about 11am.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 10:58:11 AM by Captain Seaweed » Logged
Captain Seaweed

I LOVE CRABS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 01:29:13 PM »

Sorry 3/4 Bushel
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 03:55:24 PM »

nice catch , enjoy em,  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Pinchy03

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 05:56:12 PM »

enjoy.  Did the little ones eat you up?
ShawnThomas30

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 07:12:29 PM »

All the crabs on the gunpowder are paper shells right now... As long as people keep pulling them out this early, won't be crab for crabs this year... TOO EARLY

Virginiacreeper

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 08:32:29 PM »

I was out iN front of Dundee. Caught 500  3" crabs. About a doz nice 7- 7.5 see through paper shells. Went home and had some steaks on the grill! Wind was blowing pretty hard. And the boat traffic made it even chopier! Should have went to church this morning and scored some points with the big guy!
I'll be going to the wye next week. I need some HARD shells!!!
mbrage97

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 09:47:04 PM »

Got started west of Maxwell Point this morning @ 5:21 with 30 traps & CN.  Crabbed until 11 and brought home 3/4 bushel with 1.5 dozen of 8 inch whiteies and smaller ones that were somewhat fuller.  Must have thrown back 200 shorts and another 50 5 inch see thru crabs.  Didn't bring nearly enough necks, and ran the last 4 or 5 runs with the bait on fumes.  The 3 inch crabs tore up the bait.  Tide turned outward around 8 with a stiff NNW wind helping it along.  Bite crapped out from 8am to 10am and then the shorties came back in force to pick the bones.  Gave up at 11 pulling 1 or 2 keepers per run.
Pinchy03

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 05:46:22 PM »

Why is everything junk in here?
badbean

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 01:13:43 PM »

I would hypothesize that it is because it is where a lot of crabs slough out.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin (attributed)

Lord please help me become the person my dog thinks I am!
jefftoleft
In Memoriam 02/2017
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 06:46:32 PM »

The better question would be why are so many people catching and keeping them? Undecided Undecided

You will always catch more crabs with a DOT.NET than a DOT.COM

kcullip2006

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 12:06:46 AM »

Too shallow any more.  Used to me much deeper.  Has silted in a LOT!

I would hypothesize that it is because it is where a lot of crabs slough out.
That's exactly why.

The better question would be why are so many people catching and keeping them? Undecided Undecided
That is a good question.

"May all your peach, orange, laundry baskets and coolers, be filled." Tongue
BowMovements

Movn' on uuuup

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 06:41:21 AM »

Because they don't know any better.  They see an 8" jimmy and don't realize it only yields 3 or 4 grams of meat. Then well it never had a chance.  If it makes it off the boat alive it will probably over cook in the pot and wind up being discarded.  What a shame when it woulda made a decent crab in a week or so.
tcf25

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 07:28:53 AM »

Last time I checked starting today anything 5.25 is good. I will cull through some crabs but I have know many people who prefer to pick light crabs. My catches on the GP have been about 1/3 light crabs. Living on the river I would rather crab 100 yards off my pier than drive anywhere and waste the gas. And yes the river has silted in, it has been doing that for hundreds of years. Capt. Smith was able to sail his tall ships up the river and barges used to make it to Jones Rd to load and unload at the mill. I will agree the quality of crab on the GP is questionable early in the year, but it is still legal to catch them. Just like hunting, some people may choose to shoot a yearling for the meat, others only trophy hunt. Either way they are legal.
kcullip2006

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 08:00:33 AM »

Yeah, the legality isn't the question.

"May all your peach, orange, laundry baskets and coolers, be filled." Tongue
Pinchy03

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 08:37:21 AM »

So will the junk get better as the season progresses, or is it just a repeat of junk throughout the summer. 

How long does it take for all these really small crabs to become of legal size?  In the fall, or next year?  How fast do they grow?

tcf25

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 08:45:30 AM »

Is it a question of moral standards? Then that is a philosophy discussion and would go on forever (like it does on this board every season). I am just saying let people catch what they want. You may not agree with it but in the end people can do what they want to within the extent of the law. Your time would be better spent talking to the legislative powers to limit the catch to red sign peelers or only opening the rec. season from August through Oct. I'm not going to fill my limit with white bellies, but I am not going to persecute someone who is. My guess is that most people filling up on white bellies is just out on the water trying to have a good time with family and friends, anyway isn't that what being on the water is all about?
BowMovements

Movn' on uuuup

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 09:38:42 AM »

No one is questioning legality, morals, or anything of that nature.  What is more relavant here is the fact that half of the lights do not make it to the steamer, and are sacrificed in order to fill a basket.  Now, if you think that is acceptable than that is your opinion and I'm sure it's one that is not shared by most on this board.  Don't make this "discussion" into more than what it was intended, and that was the catch of one person who even, in jest, mentioned the poor quality.  No pursecutions, no talk of legislation, and no attitudes, only few opinions of what is considered quality.  Everyone is entitled to do as they please within the limits of the law.  We here just try to educate by "not" condoning the practice of keeping junk crab.  As a commercial crabber I know the dead loss rate of these type of crab and it isn't pretty.  There is plenty of decent crab that won't cut into and kill each other, they may or may not be 8 inches, but they taste better and have much more meat. I'll take a 5.5 in mudder over an 8.5 in whitey any day.  JMHO   Wink
tcf25

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 01:17:33 PM »

I'm with you...I would rather have a small muddy crab. I am just saying that if people want to keep light crabs then I am not going to call their catch "junk." It irks me on this board when someone posts their catch and subsequent posts belittle them. I'm sure as a commercial crabber the dead loss is a serious issue for you. As a rec. I have not had as big an issue with dead loss from light crabs. Anyway, was out hand lining with the family between rain storms today, dozen and a half of 3-5" crabs. No keepers. Nothing like a 3 year old pulling up crabs.
BowMovements

Movn' on uuuup

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 04:06:53 PM »

I'm with you...I would rather have a small muddy crab. I am just saying that if people want to keep light crabs then I am not going to call their catch "junk." It irks me on this board when someone posts their catch and subsequent posts belittle them. I'm sure as a commercial crabber the dead loss is a serious issue for you. As a rec. I have not had as big an issue with dead loss from light crabs. Anyway, was out hand lining with the family between rain storms today, dozen and a half of 3-5" crabs. No keepers. Nothing like a 3 year old pulling up crabs.

The term "junk" is not necessarily used to criticize their catch.  The term is often used as a measure against the industry standard of quality.  So if we were to put it on a scale like we do; Jumbo's, 1's, 2's, 3's or mix, females & junk crab.  There are many variations of this scale depending on the crabber, but I believe most of us can agree that junk crab is pretty darn low on the scale.   Wink
mbrage97

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 09:48:35 PM »

I lost zero crabs I brought home from the GP on Sunday.  Amazing what a little strategically layered ice will do on the ride home to the steamer, even for the whitest of white bellies.  I've been crabbing long enough to perfect my culling method of assessing a crab as it exits the water and flipping the trap over so it goes right back.  Did that with at least 50 legal crabs Sunday.  But when you have people coming over that day, you do what you have to do to get what you need.  I will operate that way every time, no excuses, no regrets.  The family enjoyed all of them, even the flexi ones.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home