December 06, 2019, 06:02:04 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7-11-10 Gunpodwer  (Read 5233 times)
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 10:22:36 PM »

If you wanted to, for the better good of the crab population, you could make a case that keeping a "mature" but light crab could infact be extremely harmful to the population as a whole.

The Gunpowder, although notorious for yielding a terrible quality of crab, is well known for also yielding very LARGE crabs of terrible quality. If these crabs were allowed to be released, that would increase the mature breeding stock.....and that goes for light crabs through out the bay.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
BasketBreaker

I smell like raw chicken and Mercury outboards...

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 11:46:50 PM »

Is there a topic in here on the lights vs the muds when it comes to areas or depths and such?  I'm not an expert on crabbing but been crabbing the UB off and on since 84 specifically Middle River.

Do you generally see lighter crab in certain areas of the bay, or around tributaries, depths, and such?  I'd think that a "lighter" crab would be more vonerable to injury/attack both in the water and in a basket. so do they seek out safer water...do they know they are light?  I'd imagine a rockfish or blue could tear up a paper shell.

Bowmovements.....I know what you mean with them going to waste...I had a few pass on me before I even got the boat in earlier this year  You noticed my "special traps," next to the Ranger.   Wink  thanks for mentioning the forum!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 11:51:03 PM by BasketBreaker, Reason: adding material » Logged
Captain Seaweed

I LOVE CRABS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 10:59:19 AM »

[
zfatdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 02:44:57 PM »

Better quality crabs are typically in deeper water. I also have noticed that the quality of the crabs are better on a falling tide versus an incoming tide.

Phil  Smiley
captaincrab55
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 03:28:24 PM »

Better quality crabs are typically in deeper water. I also have noticed that the quality of the crabs are better on a falling tide versus an incoming tide.

Phil  Smiley
   Define,  "Deeper Water"...

Supporter and Lifetime Member
2B1ask1

TRUST ME !!!!

zfatdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 03:30:46 PM »

9-17 foot of water. I like 10-12 myself.

This is the reason the WYE AND CHESTER have the best crabs!! Both rivers are very deep.
Phil
BowMovements

Movn' on uuuup

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2010, 04:53:55 PM »

Is there a topic in here on the lights vs the muds when it comes to areas or depths and such?  I'm not an expert on crabbing but been crabbing the UB off and on since 84 specifically Middle River.
Do you generally see lighter crab in certain areas of the bay, or around tributaries, depths, and such?  I'd think that a "lighter" crab would be more vonerable to injury/attack both in the water and in a basket. so do they seek out safer water...do they know they are light?  I'd imagine a rockfish or blue could tear up a paper shell.
Bowmovements.....I know what you mean with them going to waste...I had a few pass on me before I even got the boat in earlier this year  You noticed my "special traps," next to the Ranger.   Wink  thanks for mentioning the forum!

You got it brotha!  Wink You been out lately?  As for you questions most rivers with allot of grass and shallows are prime for sloughing crabs.  The sloughed crabs hold on to the grasses and hide until they can move along the bottom easily.  The GunPowder may be one of the biggest sloughing grounds in the upper bay.  The crabs are huge but junk like Chris S. said. It will yield some great fall crabs though.  Oh, I would imagine they know they are light due to their behavior of seeking refuge. Just my opinion though. 

BasketBreaker

I smell like raw chicken and Mercury outboards...

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2010, 05:07:15 PM »

THANKS GUYS FOR THE INFO.....Bowmovements....let me know when you wanna go striperfishing.  They'll be up in the rivers starting as early as late Aug.......I destroy them 18-28"......by the way, those traps are totally worth it....it you've got the "Guns" to pull them up...LOL Cool

I mix the striper meat and crab meat together and make cakes....and I can't even tell the difference with all the Maryland salt AKA Old Bay.

BowMovements

Movn' on uuuup

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2010, 05:11:24 PM »

He ll  yeah!  thumbsup

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home