September 19, 2020, 12:14:16 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patapsco/Stoney/Rock Creek  (Read 16725 times)
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2010, 07:56:19 PM »

You mind asking Chuck how much his business has increased due to this site, and how he would feel if the site were to just disappear?

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2010, 08:09:39 PM »

You mind asking Chuck how much his business has increased due to this site, and how he would feel if the site were to just disappear?

And how many charters he runs now?

Git 'r dun!
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2010, 08:35:54 PM »

I don't even wanna get into a discussion about Chuck's charters.  Thats a whole different subject.

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
thunderhawk

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2010, 08:57:48 PM »

im glad to see some people agree with me.  Smiley (it dont happen often)  laugh laugh laugh
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2010, 09:04:25 PM »

I don't even wanna get into a discussion about Chuck's charters.  Thats a whole different subject.
Isn't that the whole discussion?  The impact the website has had on crabbing certain areas?  I, for one, never even heard of his charters until they were brought up here....  Undecided 

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

dfran
In Memoriam 07/2017

Labs Rule !!!!!! Crabs ain't bad either !!!

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2010, 09:05:14 PM »

Actually if you are referring to boat rental business at Schnaitmans it's DEFINITELY not as busy as it was 30 years ago. They had at least 3 or 4 times as many boats 30 years ago. They were all rented every Sat. and every Sun. many of them twice a day. We always rented our boats the day before we were going out, we loaded them with all our gear, including motors. Than Chuck's cousins that worked there tied them to the stakes in the water out from the dock. When we got to the dock in the morning at 5:00 or so there were 50-75 people in lawn chairs waiting in line for 6:00 when they opened. Back then the white boats were $18 for the day, $20 if you reserved them the night before. There were no boats with motors to rent, only grey boats and white boats depending on the HP of the motor you were using. Any motor 10HP or larger needed a white boat.

When you brought a boat back at noon there were people on a waiting list to take it out. As far as Chuck's wholesale business, that's the same as it's always been. He was always sold out of crabs every day and he still is.
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2010, 09:07:42 PM »

Isn't that the whole discussion?  The impact the website has had on crabbing certain areas?  I, for one, never even heard of his charters until they were brought up here....  Undecided 

I was refering to the amount of crabs caught and kept but yes, i guess it can be included in this but i meant it would turn into a split discussion/arguement.

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2010, 09:07:43 PM »

Actually if you are referring to boat rental business at Schnaitmans it's DEFINITELY not as busy as it was 30 years ago. They had at least 3 or 4 times as many boats 30 years ago. They were all rented every Sat. and every Sun. many of them twice a day. We always rented our boats the day before we were going out, we loaded them with all our gear, including motors. Than Chuck's cousins that worked there tied them to the stakes in the water out from the dock. When we got to the dock in the morning at 5:00 or so there were 50-75 people in lawn chairs waiting in line for 6:00 when they opened. Back then the white boats were $18 for the day, $20 if you reserved them the night before. There were no boats with motors to rent, only grey boats and white boats depending on the HP of the motor you were using. Any motor 10HP or larger needed a white boat.

When you brought a boat back at noon there were people on a waiting list to take it out. As far as Chuck's wholesale business, that's the same as it's always been. He was always sold out of crabs every day and he still is.
Cool...

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2010, 09:10:54 PM »

I was refering to the amount of crabs caught and kept but yes, i guess it can be included in this but i meant it would turn into a split discussion/arguement.
gotcha...  I don't know anything about the Wye and think the whole subject is interesting...

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2010, 09:11:26 PM »

Me neither, Jack.......so, that should tell you that this site, infact, does have a significant impact on our regional crabbing. Some good, some bad.

Dfran,
I dont have Chuck's books in front of me, so I cant contest your claim.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty

thunderhawk

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2010, 09:16:15 PM »

just wondering, were there trucks pulling trailers parked for a mile down the road when this was occuring?
dfran
In Memoriam 07/2017

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2010, 09:23:43 PM »

just wondering, were there trucks pulling trailers parked for a mile down the road when this was occuring?

I actually think there were more trucks with trailers back then. I never counted them but I think they were lined up farther than they are now.
thunderhawk

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2010, 09:27:23 PM »

wow, and to think they waited 30 years to make the ramp bigger! laugh laugh laugh thanks.
dfran
In Memoriam 07/2017

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2010, 09:33:37 PM »

Me neither, Jack.......so, that should tell you that this site, infact, does have a significant impact on our regional crabbing. Some good, some bad.

Dfran,
I dont have Chuck's books in front of me, so I cant contest your claim.

Chuck's books from back then wouldn't do you any good. Chuck didn't really have anything to do with the rental business. Charlie, Chucks Dad ran the rental business and chuck ran the wholesale business. He also had a sluffing operation set up at the end of his dock where he docks his boat. His dad and him had a huge sluffing operation in the room where they steam crabs at now. Don't know what ever happened to that set up, it was there one year and gone the next. Back them Chuck had quite a few commercial crabbers supplying him. I'd guess he was buying from 20-25 crabbers. Back then #1's were $15-$18 a bushel #2's were $12 and females were $6.
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2010, 09:35:17 PM »

As far as Im concerned, everyone can crab the wye.  Go ahead, thats where all the crabs are.  Go get 'em boys....meanwhile....i'll just idle around the bay, bird watchin.   Grin

Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2010, 09:35:52 PM »

Chuck's books from back then wouldn't do you any good. Chuck didn't really have anything to do with the rental business. Charlie, Chucks Dad ran the rental business and chuck ran the wholesale business. He also had a sluffing operation set up at the end of his dock where he docks his boat. His dad and him had a huge sluffing operation in the room where they steam crabs at now. Don't know what ever happened to that set up, it was there one year and gone the next. Back them Chuck had quite a few commercial crabbers supplying him. I'd guess he was buying from 20-25 crabbers. Back then #1's were $15-$18 a bushel #2's were $12 and females were $6.

Sounds like NC prices.   Grin

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2010, 09:37:35 PM »

Sorry, charlie's books.

in·teg·ri·ty   
KALknowsRAE

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2010, 11:03:03 PM »

How would Chuck feel if the crabs disappear???

Crabbing: A game of pinches.
CrabmanC27C

"Never seen a blue crab!just the red ones"

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2010, 01:10:00 AM »

Do you guys really think that this forum is responsible for all of the crabbers out on the water?

That's like saying that no one would be crabbing is this site didn't exist. Same holds true for the fishing forums.

People are out there crabbing because they like doing it, not because of this website. There were a lot of people crabbing before this website (or the Internet) existed. Case in point: Schnaitman's. Talk to them and they'll tell you that they had people lined up at the door to rent boats long before the Internet existed.
I Crab every Thursday,weather permitting.I post tomorrow. Grin

"Music is the sigh of the oppressed masses,It is the heart in a heartless world"~Bill Graham~
dfran
In Memoriam 07/2017

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2010, 07:01:37 AM »

How would Chuck feel if the crabs disappear???

That's kind of a stupid question........how would you or anyone else on this forum feel?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home