July 14, 2020, 10:03:24 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone care to speculate as to why this is such a good year in NJ?  (Read 2643 times)
MagnumTRex
Lifetime Member

TOMCAT IV

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2010, 10:50:26 PM »

This has been one of the best years I can remember in NJ in quite a long time.  Is it because we are in a good cycle or some other reason?  I thought the numbers may have been down the past few years because of the comeback the Stripers made.  But the Stripers are still there, so guess I was wrong.  Does anyone think it may be because of the decline in commercial crabbing due to the slow past couple years helped to improve things?  What else might it be?
fishingtom
In Memoriam 08/2015
Lifetime Member

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 11:04:09 PM »

By not taking females we have increased the amount of crabs on the entire east coast of the United States and if we keep letting them reproduce we will be back to the numbers (like the old days) that we remember. 
Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 12:27:46 AM »

By not taking females we have increased the amount of crabs on the entire east coast of the United States and if we keep letting them reproduce we will be back to the numbers (like the old days) that we remember. 

Although there is disputed data of which says the crab numbers normally do fluctuate on any given year I too am impressed by the reports all over the East Coast about the increase in the crab population. I believe it is highly possible the Recently Implemented Crabbing Laws have led to this.

At present I am leaning towards believing the Chesapeake Bay is a major breeding grounds for the entire east coast of crabs and fish. It has been written for years that the Chesapeake Bay is one of the Worlds Largest and Most Perfect Salt Water Estuaries to be found. The influx of Fresh Water, Salt Water, Marshes and Depths being nearly perfect for a Breeding Grounds for many different life species.

I feel it will take more years of the same restrictions to give more validity to my belief and to allow the natural cycle of the crab population to work its course and see the results over the years. Given enough time over population will begin to have some effect. When this happens I feel we will know with the Quality of Water and the Food Supply just what natural numbers of both crabs and fish are possible to sustain in such a great resource as the Chesapeake Bay.

When dealing with nature is is very hard to say just what is taking place because of so many variables, its like predicting the weather you can have all the scientific data you want which deals with how things are and should be, but should one of those variables change the slightest every thing goes a miss.

I once read where the Flutter of a Butterfly's wings could lead to the most devastating Hurricane man has ever seen. Yes it seems far out there but something somewhere started the chain of events. Something disturbed the air and it continued to build, the odds of this could well be in the millions to one. However once you begin counting Butterflies even a billion is a small number.

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Captain A. G. Lamplugh
jason22
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 10:57:43 AM »

Great post.

No idea why the crabbing this year has been so good.  Weather has been much warmer than usual.  But that only accounts for the early season action.   We will have to see as we head into August and Sept. if it keeps up at the same pace.

"It is what it is"
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 11:20:37 AM »

don't know , why knock it , just enjoy it while it last . hope it is sings of good seasons to come .  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab

fishingtom
In Memoriam 08/2015
Lifetime Member

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 01:29:37 PM »

With a mature female able to lay up to 12 clutches of eggs from a single mating. With millions of eggs being released with each clutch multiplied by the number of mature females not being harvested and coupled with the end of winter dredging (one of you guys do the math for us dullards) it seems pretty clear that the crab population is going to increase.  The problem is going to arise if the food chain on the east coast can support that many extra crabs. 
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 02:00:10 PM »

more to catch .  Wink

MagnumTRex
Lifetime Member

TOMCAT IV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 02:31:39 PM »

I vow to do my part in controlling the population
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 02:32:28 PM »

There you go . i think most of us are thinking the same.  Wink

dantheman2929

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 02:45:40 PM »

You figure  well before we got into such heavy crabbing they thrived well on there own and did not have problems with food there. If they get hungry in the baltimore area all they need to do is go to the inner harbor and they should find one or 2 bodies to feed on... Cheesy

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 02:46:35 PM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

ILLSWIMHOME
Lifetime Member

Shake N Bake

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 02:57:13 PM »

I think we should keep in touch with the scientists or whomever that are tracking the population.  As soon as the population in certain area's get's to be too much, the scientists (or whomever) just need to put a call into SWAT Team leader RONSTER.  The problem will be taken care of by noon the following Saturday.

Crab on!
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 03:02:17 PM »

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

squidly

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 06:08:48 PM »

did i read right? they stopped winter dredging of crabs? if they haven't they should. i've never liked that. i tried eating some years ago and i thought they were full of sand. i also heard it's like a 75% kill of all crabs dredged.  if that is true my money goes on that as the reason for the good crabbing  i just don't see where the keeping of female crabs from the recs as that harming. what a rec takes out of the water compared to all the shedders harvested, which most are females, it just dosen't add up for me.  i beleive if it's big enough, keep it. and alot of people do.  just look at all those red claws in the pictures posted on these sites.  seems like the females are fuller of meat too.   good crabbing   is it possible that the crabs in south jersey came from the chesapeake?  Huh
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 06:13:59 PM by squidly » Logged
pttsbrghfan
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 06:59:51 PM »

It must be because I haven't had the time to go crabbing yet this year.   laugh Roll Eyes

Banned from Patcong Creek.

Seanile
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

WHEN THE CHICKEN NECK DROPS, THE BS STOPS

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 07:08:09 PM »

What else might it be?

Because it's your turn.  Wink Grin

~ Bruce ~

If a man speaks at sea, where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?
ILLSWIMHOME
Lifetime Member

Shake N Bake

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 07:14:30 PM »

Because it's your turn.  Wink Grin

I havta say, I was thinking the same thing.

Crab on!
gljvd

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 12:19:46 AM »

They are all hiding from the oil in the gulf coast  Cry

I think its more likely that the water polution levels are cleaning up after years of tough laws on polution. I haven't crabed in awhil but when I as little (5-10) we used to come home with a hundred crabs from a night of crabbing . Last time I crabbed when I was 22  we'd be lucky to get 20 in the same area. I'm going to be 29 in sept to give you an idea.
nadapesca

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 10:20:35 AM »

With a mature female able to lay up to 12 clutches of eggs from a single mating. With millions of eggs being released with each clutch multiplied by the number of mature females not being harvested and coupled with the end of winter dredging (one of you guys do the math for us dullards) it seems pretty clear that the crab population is going to increase.  The problem is going to arise if the food chain on the east coast can support that many extra crabs. 

What happened before we were all here and the Lenape were the only crabbers? I had read last year or the year before (can't remember the area) about too many stripers, eating all the crabs. They wanted to remove restrictions on the those fish, catch and kill, then release, I think. Stripers, blackfish, little seabass that come into the bay, all eat blueclaw, so you'll see a lot more fish action when the water is cooler. A blue claw explosion will attract a lot of attention and take care of itself. Too few, well that's a problem.
CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 02:20:19 PM »

It just dawned on me.  BCA has been silently educating crabbers that each female can spawn multiple times from just one mating so folks are throwing them back!!!  More crabs for all!!!

23' C Hawk

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home