February 21, 2019, 02:57:18 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NJ Boating Safety Certificate Question ..  (Read 10278 times)
BrianG

Ignore
« on: July 25, 2010, 05:50:53 PM »

Thanks for the help up front .. I have been thinking about maybe getting a small crabbing / clamming boat.  I went to the NJ Maritime Law Enforcement site to read up about the required Boating Safety Certificate.  I have a cert from Penna.  Will this be excepted if I am stopped on the water in NJ ?

Here is what I get from the NJ Maritime Law Enforcement site,  These are there  FAQ's ....

Do I need a boat safety certificate?   

Yes, if you are operating a personal watercraft (Jet Ski, Wave Runner, etc.), or a power vessel on the waters of the State of New Jersey you are required to possess a " NEW JERSEY BOAT SAFETY CERT "

Below that is this ...   

I live in another state, do I need a boat safety certificate?   

Yes - Out-of-state residents are not exempt from the education requirement listed above; however, the law states that an out-of-State resident who is at least 16 years of age and who will be in this State for " LESS THEN 90 DAYS "   may operate a power vessel on the waters of the State of New Jersey if they possess a boat safety certificate issued by their state of residence, or if they possess written proof of successful completion of a boat safety course approved by another state, the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators(N.A.S.B.L.A.) or the United States Coast Guard.

So by the 2nd answer my Penna Cert is ok ?  How do they know if you are in the state " less " then 90 days ?   I have talked to a few that say my Penna is Exceptable .. Others say you HAVE to have a  NJ cert.

I say yes .. But I know the Jersey guys will let me know for sure ..  Thanks !!

Brian
squidly

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 06:27:41 PM »

what is your address on your driving lisence? is it from pa?  if yes who can disput how long you are here? they would have to take your word if you tell them your haven't been here 90 days.  i don't think you'll have a problem. just my opinion   Huh
CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 06:31:54 PM »

Brian, so long as you have a Boater Safety Certificate from another state, you are OK in NJ.

23' C Hawk
BrianG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 06:35:12 PM »

Brian, so long as you have a Boater Safety Certificate from another state, you are OK in NJ.

Thank you Capt ...  I have no problem taking the NJ course if need be ..  But if my Penna Cert is good .. then i'm ok.

Thank You

Brian
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 08:08:21 PM »

good to go . Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab

Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 05:59:48 AM »

How do they know if you are in the state " less " then 90 days ?   

They have eyes...

...everywhere.

10th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 21-22, 2019
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
jrccrab
Lifetime Member

Crabbing...Oh Yeah

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 06:18:43 AM »

Brian, we had a dicussion on this site a couple years ago as i have a (NASBLA) live in PA. and that it was not acceptable and i needed to take the Jersey course. Things might of changed since then, but i would like to know also.

Jerry
Crabs n clams

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 07:26:18 AM »

Might be best to call the NJ state Police Marine Division and ask them directly. Your problably OK but its nice to know for sure...Charlie
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 07:49:52 AM »

http://www.njsp.org/maritime/faq.html

Q1
 Do I need a boat safety certificate?

A1
 Yes, if you are operating a personal watercraft (Jet Ski, Wave Runner, etc.), or a power vessel on the waters of the State of New Jersey you are required to possess a New Jersey boat safety certificate.
Exemptions:
A boat safety certificate is not required for non-powered vessels.

Q2
 I live in another state, do I need a boat safety certificate?

A2
 Yes - Out-of-state residents are not exempt from the education requirement listed above; however, the law states that an out-of-State resident who is at least 16 years of age and who will be in this State for less than 90 days may operate a power vessel on the waters of the State of New Jersey if they possess a boat safety certificate issued by their state of residence, or if they possess written proof of successful completion of a boat safety course approved by another state, the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators(N.A.S.B.L.A.) or the United States Coast Guard.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 09:47:47 AM »

If you have an out of state boater safety certificate (plus some other options) & you are in NJ less than 90 days you are good to go.  But really we'd rather you just stay outta our state.   laugh laugh laugh laugh

Copied right from Title 12 of "NJ Boating Law".  http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/maritime/  Page 17 & 18:

12:7-61 Operation of power vessels, personal watercraft; boat safety course
requirements; violations

A person who is under 16 years of age shall not operate a power vessel on the waters of this State,
except that:

(1) a person who is under 16 years of age but at least 13 years of age and possesses a
certificate certifying that person's successful completion of a boat safety course approved by the
Superintendent of State Police in the Department of Law and Public Safety may operate:

(a) a power vessel powered solely by an electric motor; or

(b) a power vessel which is 12 feet or greater in length and powered by a motor, or
combination of motors, of less than 10 horsepower;

(2) A person who is under 16 years of age and has successfully completed an approved
boat safety course prior to July 1, 1996 may operate a power vessel on the tidal waters of this State,
provided that the person complies with all other requirements of law, rule and regulation; and

(3) A person who is under 16 years of age and was issued an operator's license pursuant
to section 7 of P.L.1954, c.236 (C.12:7-34.7) before July 1, 1996 may operate a power vessel
equipped with an outboard motor until the expiration date of that license.

b. As provided in the schedule set forth in section 7 of P.L.2005, c.292, as of June 1,
2008, a person who is 16 years of age or older shall not operate a power vessel, including a personal
watercraft, on the waters of this State without having completed a boat safety course approved by the
Superintendent of State Police in the Department of Law and Public Safety, except that:

(1) (Deleted by amendment, P.L.2005, c.292).

(2) an out-of-State resident, or a resident of a foreign country who is 16 years of age or
older and who will be in this State for less than 90 days may operate a power vessel on the waters of
this State, without having completed a boat safety course approved by the Superintendent of State
Police in the Department of Law and Public Safety if the person presents:

(i) written proof of successful completion of a boat safety course endorsed or approved
by another state, the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators or its successor
organization, or the United States Coast Guard;

(ii) written proof of successful completion of a boat safety course substantially similar
to the boat safety course required pursuant to this section as determined by the Superintendent of
State Police; or

(iii) a boat safety certificate issued by the state or country in which the person resides;
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 09:50:13 AM by CaptMoose » Logged

23' C Hawk

jrccrab
Lifetime Member

Crabbing...Oh Yeah

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 10:03:05 AM »

Thanks Guys, back when this discussion first appeared a couple years ago when Jersey first enacted this, I got a different answer from every agency that i had contacted   whether i had to take the Jersey course. The verbage regarding the rules are different now then it was back then. Time to get the boat in the water.

jrccrab
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 10:18:41 AM by jrccrab » Logged
ILLSWIMHOME
Lifetime Member

Shake N Bake

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 10:17:22 AM »

If you take the class in person you are covered no matter what state you are in. 

3 years ago, (when I took mine) if you did the online coarse, NJ wouldn't recognize it.  I'm thinking that the rule has changed since you can now do the NJ coarse online, but 'd double check that if it that were the case.

Crab on!
jrccrab
Lifetime Member

Crabbing...Oh Yeah

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 10:21:50 AM »

If you take the class in person you are covered no matter what state you are in.  

3 years ago, (when I took mine) if you did the online coarse, NJ wouldn't recognize it.  I'm thinking that the rule has changed since you can now do the NJ coarse online, but 'd double check that if it that were the case.
Rob, that is exactly what i'm talking about. Yes i did hear you can now do the N.J. course on line.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 10:30:23 AM by jrccrab » Logged
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 10:29:26 AM »

http://www.boatus.com/courseline/states.asp

•Online boating safety courses and certificates obtained from online courses, such as the one offered by the BoatU.S. Foundation, are NOT recognized by the state of New Jersey, New Jersey State Police and on-water enforcement officers. You must take a proctored class room course and exam approved by the New Jersey State Police in order to receive an official New Jersey boating safety certificate.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
Summertop
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 10:34:27 AM »

If you have an out of state boater safety certificate (plus some other options) & you are in NJ less than 90 days you are good to go.  But really we'd rather you just stay outta our state.   laugh laugh laugh laugh

Moose..

I got charged 5 bucks a day to walk on a dumpy beach this past weekend Roll Eyes, no problem worrying about this Marylander coming back.  Grin

jrccrab
Lifetime Member

Crabbing...Oh Yeah

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 10:38:41 AM »

http://www.boatus.com/courseline/states.asp

•Online boating safety courses and certificates obtained from online courses, such as the one offered by the BoatU.S. Foundation, are NOT recognized by the state of New Jersey, New Jersey State Police and on-water enforcement officers. You must take a proctored class room course and exam approved by the New Jersey State Police in order to receive an official New Jersey boating safety certificate.
 Jack,this discussion is right back to where it was a couple years ago regarding NJ.. But i have heard you can now take the NJ. course on line. I KNOW NJ JUSTS WANTS THEIR MONEY IS WHAT IT COMES DOWN TO. Still nobody or any agency can give me straight answer. I will not be boating or in NJ more than 90 days a year?

Jerry
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 10:51:31 AM by jrccrab » Logged
squidly

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 10:42:48 AM »

jack your wrong.  i took mine online last year and i have the same card everyone else has. it  is accepeted by the state. you do the course and when you complete it they give dates and locations to take the test by a rep of the nj state police.  test took about 15 minutes. it's cheaper then going to a course which takes hours to do. ps, the card is issued by the nj state police marine division. it took about 3 weeks to reiceve it threw the mail after i took the test.  i think the online course is the way to go. it's not easy, you still have to study to pass.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 10:51:48 AM »

Jack,this discussion is right back to where it was a couple years ago regarding NJ.. But i have heard you can now take the NJ. course on line. I KNOW NJ JUSYS WANTS THEIR MONEY IS WHAT IT COMES DOWN TO. Still nobody or any agency can give me straight answer. I will not be boating or in NJ more than 90 days a year?

Jerry
Look at the link I posted.  It's the NJ State Police website...   
jack your wrong.  i took mine online last year and i have the same card everyone else has. it  is accepeted by the state. you do the course and when you complete it they give dates and locations to take the test by a rep of the nj state police.  test took about 15 minutes. it's cheaper then going to a course which takes hours to do. ps, the card is issued by the nj state police marine division. it took about 3 weeks to reiceve it threw the mail after i took the test.  i think the online course is the way to go. it's not easy, you still have to study to pass.

The option to "test out"  ended June 1, 2009...

Read the link..  Wink Cool

squidly

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 11:18:50 AM »

i'm not talking about a test out. it's a course that you do online then go take the test, AFTER completion of the course.  just face it  your wrong.  i have my card and i got it doing the online course. i'm not talking about us boat's course.  look under NJ online boating course. it' ACCEPTED by new jersey. and i believe the test out ended in 2008 not 2009. the test out was you found out where to take the test and thats what you did. there was no course you did. you just had a one time shot of passing the test. if your failed, you had to take a course.  do you live in nj?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 11:31:43 AM by squidly » Logged
jrccrab
Lifetime Member

Crabbing...Oh Yeah

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 11:30:54 AM »

RE: NJ

The way i'm reading it this time if you live outside of NJ. and do not fish/crab/boating etc MORE THAN 90 DAYS in the state. & have a out-of state Coast Gaurd or NASLBLA approved boating safety certificate/card you are good to go? Let me know if i'm wrong. Like i siad before but there were so many different answers.

Thanks

Jerry

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home