February 23, 2018, 03:26:59 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NY crabbing regulation questions  (Read 9323 times)
hxc_vdubb

Ignore
« on: August 01, 2010, 10:53:19 AM »

hey all, me and my friend are new to crabbing. after doing it a bit with my uncle i wanted to give it a try. in NY for recreational crabbing do you need a license of any sort? can pots be used for recreational use or only smaller box traps? tried looking around the DEC website an couldn't find any clear cut directly stated rules. any other info would be great! thanks
Crabbing Kid

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 12:23:05 PM »

You do not need any type of license to crab in NY.

Here is the dec link. This will tell you daily limit and minimum size to keep blue crabs.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7894.html
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 12:24:19 PM »

WELCOME . good luck . have fun . HASPPY CRABBING.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
hxc_vdubb

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 12:26:43 PM »

thanks guys! and what kinds of traps can be used for recreational crabbing? are pots okay in NY?
ralphrepo

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 05:52:34 AM »

thanks guys! and what kinds of traps can be used for recreational crabbing? are pots okay in NY?

It's been a long time since this question was asked, but as no one took the time to answer, here's a copy and paste directly from NYS DEC's page, from the subsection on crabs:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/regs/4011.html

44.2 Crabs.

(a) Definitions.

(1) A crab pot or trap means a box-like device, made of any material, which is usually square or pyramid shaped either with sides that fall open to provide ingress, or with sides with openings to the lower of two inner chambers, the upper being reached through a slotted baffle, or, if having only one chamber, sides with openings to that chamber.

(2) Sinking line means negatively buoyant line which will sink to the bottom of the water column if not supported by a buoy. Braided steel cable shall not be used as a sinking line.

(3) Terrapin Excluder Device means a rectangular metal device not larger than (in either dimension) 6 inches wide by 2 inches high attached to the end of the entrance funnel of a crab trap.

(4) Carapace Width means the longest straight line width of the body shell, including any spines or spikes, but not including claws, legs or other appendages.

(5) Peeler or shedder blue crab means a hard blue crab which has a fully formed soft shell beneath the hard outer shell and the impending shedding process is evidenced by the white sign along the outer rim of the paddle-like appendages on the crab's fifth pair of legs.

(b) Identification of gear used in taking of crabs.

Effective January 1, 2007, gear used in taking crabs shall be identified as follows:

(1) If crab pots or traps are marked on the surface of the water, they shall have attached to them a floating buoy or identification marker using sinking line as defined in paragraph (a) of this section. Braided steel cable shall not be used as sinking line. The floating buoy or identification marker must be constructed and placed so as to be clearly visible on the surface of the water. Containers, bottles or jugs originally designed to contain liquids shall not be used a buoys or markers to identify the location of crab pots or traps.

(2) Each buoy or marker attached to a crab pot or trap shall be of a distinctive color contrasting sufficiently with the background water color to be visible in daylight for a minimum distance of 100 feet. The number, including any letters, assigned the holder of a crab permit for the current year at the time he or she obtains a crab permit shall be painted or otherwise affixed on each buoy or marker in a contrasting color, or branded on each buoy or marker, in clearly visible characters. The same color or combination of colors shall be used on all buoys or markers bearing the same permit number. In addition, all crab pot buoys shall be marked with fluorescent or reflective paint, tape, or other reflective material or reflectors.

(3) All blue crab pots or traps shall be marked or branded, in characters not less than three-fourths inch in height with the number, including any letters, assigned the holder of a crab permit. If the construction of a pot or trap does not allow it to be marked by branding, that pot or trap shall be marked by a tag or other device bearing, in clearly visible and legible characters, the same number appearing on a buoy or marker used to identify that pot or trap. This tag or other device shall be of a material that is not deteriorated by sea water and shall be firmly attached to the pot or trap it identifies.

(4) Blue crab pots shall not be placed within 25 feet of designated navigation channels, and all floating buoys or identification markers and lines attached to such pots shall remain outside designated navigation channels at all times, except that:

(i) blue crab pots which are directly attached to the shoreline or a bulkhead may be placed within 25 feet of a designated navigation channel provided that neither the pot nor any attached lines or markers are within such channel; and

(ii) blue crab pots or traps that are affixed to a vessel with at least one person aboard may be placed within 25 feet of a designated navigation channel.

(5) Violations of any provision of this Part shall subject the violator to the penalties fixed by the Environmental Conservation Law and may result in the suspension or revocation of any crab permit.

(c) Construction of escape panels in blue crab pots or traps.

(1) Effective January 1, 2007, blue crab pots or traps made of any material other than untreated natural wood shall contain on a side of the pot, but not the bottom, an escape panel, which when open, will provide an unobstructed oval or rectangular opening of not less than six and one half inches by five inches in length and height. If this panel is constructed of wood, it shall be untreated natural wood not more than three-eighths of an inch thick. If the panel is constructed of any material other than untreated natural wood, it shall be hinged to open. The panel shall be hinged in such a manner that upon degradation of the material keeping the panel closed, the panel is released to produce an opening which is not blocked or otherwise obstructed by the panel material. Hinged panels shall be held in the closed position with either untreated, uncoated ferrous wire not more than three thirty-seconds of an inch in diameter or an untreated natural fiber such as cotton, sisal, hemp or manilla not more than three-sixteenths of an inch in diameter. If the pot or trap is constructed of nylon, polypropylene, or any other synthetic fiber mesh netting placed over the frame, the escape panel may be made by having a section of the mesh netting on the outside of the parlor section comprised of an untreated natural fiber which when rotted out or deteriorated will leave an opening of a least the size specified for an escape panel in this subdivision.

(2) No person shall set or place a blue crab pot or trap in the waters of the state unless such pot or trap is equipped with an escape panel of the minimum size specified in paragraph (1) of this subdivision, except that no escape panel shall be required for blue crab pots or traps with sides that fall open to provide ingress.

(d) Use of terrapin excluder device in blue crab pots or traps.

(1) If the Department determines that mortality of diamondback terrapin (Malaclemys terrapin) in blue crab pots is causing a decline in the terrapin population of a given water body or area, the Department may by order mandate use of terrapin excluder devices in such areas.

(2) The terrapin excluder device, as defined in paragraph 44.2 (a)(3) of this section, shall be securely fastened inside each funnel to effectively reduce the size of the funnel opening to no larger than six inches wide and two inches high.

(3) The Director, Bureau of Marine Resources, is authorized to issue orders to designate areas in which terrapin excluders are required pursuant to this section.

(e) Blue crab size limits.

After June 1, 2006, no person shall possess or land any blue crab (Callinectes sapidus) with a carapace width less than four and one half inches in length for hard shell blue crabs, three and one half inches in length for soft shell blue crabs, and three inches in length for peeler or shedder blue crabs.

I also received this reply from NYS DEC:

Kim McKown [email protected]

Apr 9 (3 days ago) to me, Marine

Dear Ralph,

I'm sorry this reply is so overdue!  New York doesn't have rules on what type of pot/trap can be used to catch crabs recreationally.  If you use the commercial type trap that doesn't spontaneously open it should have an escape panel (see rules below) and should be marked with your name and contact information in case it gets lost.  Certain public docks or piers may have more restrictive rules.  If you plan on using the pots at Captree, you should contact the Park and find out if it's legal within their rules.  Please contact me if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,
Kim

Kim McKown
NYS DEC
Crustacean Unit Leader
205 N Belle Mead Rd, STE 1
East Setauket, NY 11733

phone: 631-444-0454
fax: 631-444-0434
e-mail: [email protected]

NB: I hope other members don't mind me dragging out and replying to these long forgotten questions but I always seem to see them linked back to BCI on Google. So, rather than leaving something dangling for all eternity, I reckon it's better late than never so that a new crabber reader can at least have an answer. I know when I first started reading these boards, it was the ultimate frustration to see a question of interest only to find the thread dead without any further explanation.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 12:05:57 PM by ralphrepo » Logged

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home