August 21, 2019, 08:13:13 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My adventures in building topless traps and a poss. hydrotubing alternative.  (Read 880 times)
crabbit

Ignore
« on: August 26, 2010, 08:22:04 AM »

First a big thanks to Old Crabber for his tutorial on building topless traps:
http://users.zoominternet.net/~nosyher/photo.html

To begin with let me warn people thinking of building these traps that most likely you will not save much if any money building them yourself.  If you are looking to save money stop here.  In the end you will not save much and you will spend alot of time building them.  Check out Capt Moose's or some of the other topless trap makers in the for sale forum of this site.

For those of you like me that just can't resist doing things the hard way (it ain't done right until its done twice), here are some things I found out while building them.

1.) Finding 1x2 galvanized 14g wire.  If you are building your own traps do not settle for 16g. I found very few places in my area that stocked 50' coils (Agway in Collegeville and Tractor Supply in NJ had 36" coils).  For those of you that like to travel, Martin's Cages in Columbia, PA (south of Harrisburg) says online they have (or can order) 12" x 100' 1x2 14g  Riverdale coils for $44 (should yeild ~18 12" traps and alot less cutting)  I ended up finding a 36" x 100' coil at an ancient hardware store in my area.  That yeilds ~18 12" and 20 10" traps.

2.) The SS Hyrdaulic Tubing is the best way to go but for the life of me I could not find it.  I ended up using 10-12 gauge non-insulated wire crimps.  In retro spect I think I should have bought some shrink tubing to go over them to help prevent rust.  So far they are holding up well.  I crimp them using the metal jaws of a bench vice and for those who want to make sure they never come undone you could punch 2 holes with a finish nail punch while it is in the vice.  DO NOT use the uninsulated crimps, they are not solid (the tube is split)  and will loosen your first time out.

3.) Make a wire straightening jig.  My first batch I straightened all the 9 gauge wire by hand in the vice. this took a huge amount of time.  The second batch I made a crude straightening jig using the side of my working bench with some drywall screws that had a threadless area near the head and some washers.  This saved a huge amount of time.

Good luck out there!

You can pick your friends and you can pick your crabs but you can't pick your friend's crabs!

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home