October 19, 2018, 04:16:33 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "RE-ACCLIMATIZING CRABS TO WATER"  (Read 6476 times)
Huckle Berry Blue

« on: June 06, 2005, 09:51:36 PM »

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE BEST WAY TO RE-ACCLIMATIZE CRABS TO WATER AGAIN AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN OUT FOR DAYS ------ SO THEY DON'T GO INTO SHOCK AND DIE  Shocked------

MICHAEL

« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 09:27:02 AM by Huckle Berry Blue » Logged
Stevo
Lifetime Member

It's all fun and games 'til someone gets steamed!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 08:35:41 AM »

I've found that turning the water to steam and adding a little J.O. #1 works well! Grin Grin Grin Grin

This website is member-supported. Please help by becoming a Supporting Member today!
Ray R.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 08:45:13 AM »

I've found that turning the water to steam and adding a little J.O. #1 works well! Grin Grin Grin Grin

Guaranteed to be the best solution there is !  Grin  Grin  Grin  laugh  laugh  laugh

SMILE .. BE .. HAPPY .. GO .. CRABBING .. AND .. THINK .. OF .. ME ..!!
chunk

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 08:49:01 AM »

OMG that is too funny 2thumbsup but a grand idea
DocSmith

Proud of what I stand for; Careful what I fall for

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 08:49:02 AM »

You beat me to it, Stevo, you beat me to it!  Great response!

Doc sunny

The Cruelest Creature's the Crab, with Pinchers that can Cut you and Stab! And Then, when you Dine on Crab and White Wine, it's Murder when you Pick Up The Tab!

Crabslayer

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 12:59:31 PM »

Reminds me of a T-shirt at Boater's World.  One crab is asking the other crab who's name is Bob how's the water? Bob...Bob...  The water is boiling in a pot.  laugh laugh laugh

Do you really want a guy who taxed the rain in the White House?
HenPot
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 01:40:59 PM »

Reminds me of a T-shirt at Boater's World.  One crab is asking the other crab who's name is Bob how's the water? Bob...Bob...  The water is boiling in a pot.  laugh laugh laugh

Hey Capt
     Those two crabs didn't have 5000 feet of trotline tangled around them did they?
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 01:47:39 PM »

AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  Grin Grin Grin DIRECT HIT! RIGHT IN THE PACKAGE!  Grin Grin Grin
Crabslayer

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 02:02:10 PM »

laugh4 laugh4 laugh4 laugh4 laugh4 laugh4 smartass smartass smartass smartass beadyeyes beadyeyes brood

Do you really want a guy who taxed the rain in the White House?
crabologist
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 02:14:52 PM »

Hey Capt
 Those two crabs didn't have 5000 feet of trotline tangled around them did they?
OUCH !! Sounds like that was aimed right at somebody..................... rifle

Live To Crab And Crab To Live !!!!

angel95

keep smilin' it makes people wonder wut ur up 2

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 03:02:43 PM »

What is the difference between JO #1 and #2, we have JO #2 at home, but don't know the difference  Smiley
Stevo
Lifetime Member

It's all fun and games 'til someone gets steamed!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2005, 03:08:14 PM »

"What is the difference between JO #1 and #2, we have JO #2 at home, but don't know the difference  "

Steve had all the details in one of his posts, but the basic difference is that #2 contains a lot more salt, especially flake salt. #2 is a popular crabhouse blend.
#1 can be salted to taste, and in my opinion is fine without any, and without all the salt, your getting about 1/3 more seasoning for your money!

This website is member-supported. Please help by becoming a Supporting Member today!
catchincrabs

Catch me if you can!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2005, 03:33:10 PM »

There is no guarantee with this. It all depends if the crabs gills have dried out or not. I have put crabs in a live box that had river water pumped to it and had them die. (crabs were out of the water for only 8 hours) But weren't covered while in the boat. They were alive in the basket but the sun was beating on them all day long. I opened some of them up and their gills were brown and dry. As long as the crabs were kept cool and out of the sun The only thing you can do is try. Put them in a live box. If they dont live after the 1st 1/2 hour go with the above suggestions. laugh laugh

Take a kid crabbing you wont regret it!!!
Huckle Berry Blue

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2005, 08:25:17 PM »

thank you for your suggestion every little bit helps-------i am all for eating crabs and i love a good laugh-----but i am working on a science project and am simply trying to take every precautionary measure to insure survial in the reclamation process ------maybe i am asking science questions in the wrong section -------thanx guys

incidental---no wonder all the crabs are dissapearing----you guys are eating all of them---

Tongue

sincerely                                 The back yard scientist
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 03:07:59 AM by Huckle Berry Blue » Logged
mrscharms
Lifetime Member

I REALLY LOVE crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2005, 11:44:56 PM »

Oh, you poor kid!!!  Everybody likes to joke around here too much...lol...must have been frustrating for you!  But hope your project works out well and don't be a stranger!

Janice

Crab A Lot

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2005, 10:52:15 AM »

I hope your "Acclimate crab back to water works "

We need all the help we can get to bring back the Chesapeake Bay blue crab back in greater numbers Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Cool Cool Cool

Keep working at it you may discover how to do just that.

Best of luck Grin Grin Grin

Chesapeake Bay Crabs are the best!!!!!!!!
Huckle Berry Blue

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2005, 01:42:24 PM »

thank you very much -----and yes you are right-------we do need all of the help we can get--------no matter how small the project is-----never underestimate the potential of anyone no matter how insignificant they may seem-----restoring the bay is very possible and i am astonished that it isn't the most important domestic issue between all of those states that share in the richness of that beautiful bay---(and of course all of the other states south of it that also enjoy the harvesting of our brackish water creatures)------i am going to conduct my own experiment in reaclimation and will post it under "HABITAT" in my SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA "BACK YARD" BLUE CLAW CRAB EXPERIMENT " which is currently underway as we speak..thanx again for your support ---- Michael ----passionate about those blue claw crabs sweetheart
Huckle Berry Blue

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2005, 09:33:42 AM »

I JUST DESIGNED A SPECIAL GRATING LOWERING LEVEL TO RE-ACCLIMITIZE THE CRABS GRADUALLY---I WILL LOWER THEM INTO THE WATER AT ABOUT 1/8 OF AN INCH EVERY 10 TO 15 MINUTES TO SEE IF I CAN KEEP MORE ALIVE THIS TIME---THE LAST TIME I LOST HALF OF MY CRABS IN THE FIRST DAY-----I BELIEVE THEY WENT INTO SHOCK Shocked
Tom Powers

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2005, 11:45:35 AM »

What was the salinity of the water where they where caught and where you tried to put them back?  Was it a closed system?  If so was it ariated? If it wasn't a closed system how much flow did you use.  Water temps and the temerpature of the crabs also plays a big roll.

Tom
Huckle Berry Blue

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2005, 05:16:47 AM »

What was the salinity of the water where they where caught and where you tried to put them back?  Was it a closed system?  If so was it aerated? If it wasn't a closed system how much flow did you use.  Water temps and the temperature of the crabs also plays a big roll.

Tom
i am not sure what the salinity of the water was in Louisiana where the crabs were caught -(i am in California)-but since they are mature females i am assuming that they were in or moving to more saline waters 2ppt to 6ppt below saltwater (30ppt and 36ppt i believe)  i put them in 10ppt --i did not know at the time about the females moving to more saline waters after their terminal molt nor did i expect to get any female crabs---i thought that they were all gonna be males-

yes it is a closed system (if you mean is it like an aquarium or pond otherwise i don't understand what you mean)

yes it is aerated

and water temps vary from 68 to 72 degrees

if you want to see what i am doing go to "Habitat" and look under "the southern California backyard blue claw crab experiment"

i appreciate all input thank you-----Michael

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home