November 24, 2020, 07:15:53 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are crabs making me sick now?  (Read 13144 times)
Sohappy24

« on: June 08, 2005, 04:14:16 PM »

Every summer from the time I was 6 I have been eating crabs like crazy.  I usually eat blue crabs in the summer time and alaskan snow crabs the other parts of the year.  All of a sudden (last year) everytime I would eat blue crabs I would start feeling nauseous.  At first I thought it was just the place I had purchased the crabs from.  So I started moving around to different places and I would get the same result.  When I eat the Alaskan snow crabs I don't get sick at all, it only happens with the blue crabs. 

Can someone maybe share some light on this issue please.  I am ready to go back to eating crabs again but I am concerned that if I continue to force myself to eat them I may get violently ill if I am all of a sudden allergic.

Crab Lover
procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 04:23:26 PM »

sounds like allergies to me.  lets say you dont eat crabs for a while, is it better or worse?  and if you eat them 3 days in a row, is the first day or the last day worse?  if it gets better over time, you might have to eat crabs every day! but it is worth it!  some researchers have had luck curing allergies and autoimmune diseases by eating certian protiens.  most people have"oral tolerance" meaning if you eat it your body doesn care but if you inject it under your skin, you will have an allergy. 

Dave Jr.

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 10:58:59 AM »

Most new allergies occur in adults when you reach your 30's.  If you are having an allergic reaction you will know by the following.  Itchy throat, Itchy tongue, swelling in your tongue or lips.  Have you been drinking Voda, Rum or Gin while eating your crabs?  The mixture of hard, clear alcohols will cause a reaction with shellfish.
Crabslayer
Supporting Member

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter soon to be Java Sea

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 11:29:01 AM »

Be very careful and see a doctor ASAP.  You may want to keep Benedryl or an Epi pen close by in case of a severe reaction which will close your air passage.

This is how it's going to go.  After I kick your A$$ i'm going to run you through the wood chipper and put you in containers in the freezer to use in my crab pots!  The really sad part?  You let an old man kick your A$$!!!
stuff

i dont need it but i got to have it

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 02:28:07 PM »

crown royal works the best in this kind of situation Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Steve
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 05:16:10 PM »

Seafood allergies can come on quickly... even if you've been eating seafood your entire life.
Huckle Berry Blue

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 03:31:01 PM »

also------keep in mind----to try and pin-point the real problem-----i know from experience that it is possible to develop allergies over time of things that you were not allergic to when you were younger--so this is a possibility ---but ask yourself this question -----are all of the crabs that i am getting from the same body of water ?----maybe try some crabs from a totally different area---lets say for example you are getting them from the Chesapeake -----well try some of the blue crabs from Louisiana----just to see if it is the species that is making you sick----i am saying this cause it is possible that the crabs that you were eating came from the same body of water and it is possible that they may have picked up some pollutants or toxins that are giving you an allergic reaction-------and of course you know to only try a little at a time--------                          go real slow------let us know here later what happens-----and ----------------------------------be careful-k-----

the back yard scientist
mrscharms
Lifetime Member

I REALLY LOVE crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 11:32:36 PM »

I don't have much to add except to say YOU POOR THING...I think I would die from lack of being able to eat those crabs rather then from  eating them!  Hope you find out something soon!

Janice

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home