February 22, 2018, 09:13:19 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crab Plannin during the blizzard of 003 !  (Read 10519 times)
Crabbyboy

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2003, 09:52:29 PM »

Does that go for MD too because i was hearin some pretty bad stuff about the situation down there
cw4340

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2003, 05:34:01 AM »

im talkin for somers pt back to great bay serious death after thi last ice
Kodi

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2003, 12:17:56 PM »

I don't think that you can take a sample dredging as the last word on the crab population.  

We had almost no winter for the last 3 years and the crab harvest was low.  This year we've had a harsh one with lots of precip.  I am "hoping" that this will trigger a change for the better.  Not basing this on any facts but just on my own desire to have a mess of crab feasts this year.

Kodi
Steve
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2003, 04:57:39 PM »

Hawgscaldr posted a news article about the dead crabs in the Crab News section.

Watermen who started power dredging for oysters under new state regulations Monday found an unpleasant surprise in their nets -- dead, rotting crabs.

http://www.blue-crab.org/yabbse/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=18
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 02:37:46 PM by Steve » Logged
NJ Grasshopper

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2003, 07:19:26 PM »

Well ---- not a good sign. Thats for sure.

I still want to be optimistic if possible.

Could this be from a lack of salinity due to the drought last year into the winter? Could it be from a lack of food going into the cold temps? Can reproduction and new crabs populations be up due to a lowering of the natural predators for the spring from the cold weather?

Hey ----- I'm a "glass is half full" kind of person.

Come on warm water, cold beer and hot - steamin crabs!!!!

Kodi

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2003, 08:18:35 AM »

I just look at it like this.  For the last 3 years we practically didn't have a winter AND we were short on rain.  And the crab harvest was certainly not very good.

This winter we had a bad one and we've gotten a lot of rain/snow over the last 6 or 7 months.

Maybe, just maybe the change will be for the better.  Guess I'm a glass half full person too.

Kodi
Crabbyboy

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2003, 03:26:36 PM »

Well, if your a die hard crabber, ya gotta have hope.
waterman4456

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2003, 08:04:47 PM »

Even though i don't think the drough plays a direct roll in crab population at least not like oysters i am a half full too
NJ Grasshopper

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2003, 10:41:55 PM »

Hey guys ........ If all of our glasses are only 'half full' ....... lets tap another keg!!!!!

(Gotta have someting to do while we wait for May).
Kodi

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2003, 07:44:43 AM »

I'm all fer tappin' another keg!  And let's make it my favorite....anything cold.

Kodi

cw4340

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2003, 08:40:15 AM »

If theres crabs involed it gotta bee coors light! Smiley
Bdc

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2003, 09:09:47 AM »

Well, this is sure some bad news. Any sign of any die off is bad w/ the way the crab #'s have been over the last 5-7 years. W/ the exception of last year...i had a very good year personally. However, this sure sounds bad. I know most of you won't want to hear this but........ my father tells me of a winter in the 70's that was so brutally cold, that the bays froze over like they did this year.(i think for a longer period of time). My girlfriend's father also tells me of that year....he was a surveyor at that time, and actually walked across the frozen bay. That's a site to imagine. Getting to the point....nj suspended crabbing that season. Now, i'm not sure if it was just for recreational crabbers. I know you commercial watermen out there that have been doing this your whole life remember what i'm talking about and can give an accurate account of this event.......So, there was no rec crabbing that year. The next year, well, my father said he has never seen anything like it. They were done in about 2 hour w/ 2 bushels filled. He said they were pulling up 2-3 crabs at a time in each trap. He said the rattling was incredible in the cages. They were the biggest fattest crabs he'd ever seen. I guess they had alot of time to beef up b/c the previous season was closed. As much as i would've loved to be alive for that....i don't know how i would've gotten through that previous summer w/ no crabbing.I guess we have to find out how significant the damage is before we start thinking if history should repeat itself. It's troubling.

Little Orca
cw4340

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2003, 04:21:03 PM »

just gota hope alot of crabsset in deeper water  they w dont take the hit as bad. mother nature takes care of her own keep the faith !
Kodi

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2003, 07:41:04 AM »

I remember that winter in the 70's well.  I think it was around 1977 or so...can't remember the exact year.  The bay did indeed freeze over and people were walking across it at the bay bridge.  It was amazing.  I personally didn't do the walk since the idea of 100 foot deep water under me didn't strike me as a good thing.

Can't say as I remember the crabbing season in Maryland being all that different the following summer but I could be wrong.

It was a bad winter that's for sure.  Way back in 1857 there was another really bad winter where the bay froze over again so it's all just mother nature.

Kodi
Crabbyboy

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2003, 04:39:06 PM »

Ya gotta hope for the best! Wink

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2003, 05:15:34 PM »

That bdc guy looks like a poarcher we been looking for down here.  Wink

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
NJ Grasshopper

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2003, 10:43:56 PM »

He sure don't look like he eats many crabs!!!!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home