September 23, 2018, 07:46:34 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grey tinted jelly substance ?  (Read 3561 times)
SeaMonkey

Ignore
« on: September 24, 2010, 05:05:00 PM »

I have been crabbing for the last month in water with a salinity level of 0.17 PPT.  I think they taste almost as good as Wye river crabs but I did notice something that I haven't encountered before. As I remove the crabs from the basket, I'm seeing some kind of jelly type substance that was divulged from my catch. It's not allot! maybe 1 to 3 Tbsp.  When I crabbed the Wye I just assumed this jelly like substance was just a nettle that dropped in my basket. Now I'm crabbing almost fresh water and I still see this substance and I know its not a nettle.

Does any one know or have experienced  what I'm talking about? Does a crab have mucus membranes to clean it's lungs from debris like humans?
captaincrab55
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 05:44:02 PM »

I have been crabbing for the last month in water with a salinity level of 0.17 PPT.  I think they taste almost as good as Wye river crabs but I did notice something that I haven't encountered before. As I remove the crabs from the basket, I'm seeing some kind of jelly type substance that was divulged from my catch. It's not allot! maybe 1 to 3 Tbsp.  When I crabbed the Wye I just assumed this jelly like substance was just a nettle that dropped in my basket. Now I'm crabbing almost fresh water and I still see this substance and I know its not a nettle.

Does any one know or have experienced  what I'm talking about? Does a crab have mucus membranes to clean it's lungs from debris like humans?
   By any chance, did any of your crabs lose any body parts??

Supporter and Lifetime Member
2B1ask1

TRUST ME !!!!
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 08:39:34 AM »

sounds like crab "blood" to me.   Smiley 

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 08:53:44 AM »

Congelled blood.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 11:50:55 AM »

Congelled blood.
stupid

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home