August 15, 2018, 06:46:11 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "BECOMMING A CRABBER" ONE OF THE LAST AMERICAN DREAM JOBS  (Read 11214 times)
Huckle Berry Blue

« on: June 11, 2005, 09:36:39 PM »

WHAT IF I WANT TO BECOME A CRABBER----

AND LETS SAY FOR INSTANCE I HAVE SITUATED MYSELF WITH A VERY LOW OVERHEAD OF APPROXIMATELY  $500 PER MONTH AND I LIVE RIGHT ON THE CHESAPEAKE SOMEWHERE IT COULD BE ANYWHERE--ANYWHERE CHEAP I DON'T CARE WHAT STATE

ANYWAY----MY QUESTION IS

HOW MUCH WOULD I GET APPROXIMATELY FOR ABOUT  1 TO 4 BUSHELS A WEEK FOR BLUE CRABS FROM THE  CHESAPEAKE  ?

I AM NOT LOOKING TO GET RICH JUST LOOKING TO FULFILL A CHILDHOOD DREAM OF BECOMING A CRABBER---I AM WILLING TO SACRIFICE MUCH FOR A SIMPLE LIFE

GROWING VEGETABLES --BUILDING CRAB TRAPS  --CRABBING ON THE BAY AND BUCKLING DOWN FOR THE WINTER WHILE PREPARING FOR THE NEXT SEASON----
Heavy Metal Crabber

One Life....I'm gonna live it up !!!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 09:12:47 AM »

I think there is a finite # to how many commercial liscenses are sold by DNR and you probably can't acquire one....correct me if I' wrong
Tom Powers

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 12:02:08 PM »

You can get a commercial crab license in VA.  It will cost you $3000 to $5000.    Plus about $350 a year in gear licenses and a waterman's card fees.  In MD you have to apprentice for two years on someone else's boat.  There are proably posts regarding that somewhere on the board.

Now for the income. The high dollar prices you always hear quoted are for large or jumbo jimmy crabs at a fancy retail market.  Most times of the year it would surprise me if crabbers get much more than $35 to $50 a bu for crabs off of the boat.    In times of gult or when only females are being landed it is proably less than $35.  Last year the VRMC web page put the average vessel exit price at $0.89 per pound.   When there is a glut the crab houses (who pay less than the basket market when there is no glut)  will buy from their regular suppliers first.  Those are the guys who broght them crabs when the basket market was driving the prices up.

Using that number you are talking $150 to $600 a month.   Before expenses and taxes.  The season runs 8 months and frequently there is a late start in the spring due to weather and prices fall off in the fall when the basket market dries up. 

On the self marketing for the high dollar market.  That is probably contrary to living someplace really cheap.  Those high dollar markets usually mean high dollar housing. 

Tom

« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 12:03:41 PM by Tom Powers » Logged
butch

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 12:27:18 PM »

here is what I have been researching the last couple of weeks about acquiring a commercial crabbing license.
the following licenses are not available through the state right now. The only way to get one and start working today is through an individuale selling a BUSINESS.

limited crab catcher (LLC) $50.00 up to 50 pots...  there are 3,709 issued as of 4/05
crab harvester (CB3) $150.00  up to 300 pots ....                  238
single additional pot authorization up to 600 pots (CB6) $20.00     223
double additional pot author. up to 900 pots  (CB9) $40.00         408

this does not include all of the general public that don't need a license or get one for $15.00 to run up to 30 TRAPS for one bushel per person per day per boat up to two bushel with 2 licenses in the boat.

I have also been looking for a commercial license but will not be back in Maryland until Oct.05. I have a friend in ST. Michaels who is doing my leg work for me looking around to see what the best deals are for buying a Crab business.  He delivers the local paper and knows a lot of people. You won't get rich doing this..........you just have to love it to do it...and have another sourse of income!!!!!
Huckle Berry Blue

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 03:46:14 AM »

WOW GUYS---thank you so much for your valuable information----i am just trying to figure out what to do for the next 20 or 30 years --i am not interested in making alot of money --i just want to be happy doing something i enjoy ----very few people enjoy what they do for a living

thanks again----Michael

cw4340

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 11:19:01 AM »

theres a fine line between self employed and unemployed you have to love it cause things are tight at best we were in are dealers clam house one day and this old waterman some it up he sad boy back when i was young one day we was catchin clams to beat the band really loadin up the boat this old timernext to me sad boy bet you htink your ma-kin money but you anit, and before winters over you,ll think your gona starve to death but you won,t that about somes up bay life Wink take care GOD BLESS
hydro

A bad day crabbing beats a great day at work

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 12:07:15 PM »

Micheal

Keep crabbing as a hobby I know it might seem like its wouldnt be working but its TOTALLY different when you hobby becomes ur job. I know people always say do something that you like so its not like you are working. Well when it come to being outside all day and fishin for a living thats not something that is enjoyable on the weekends anymore. It doesnt relax you like it once did..I only say this cause I know. Computers/ Internet have always been a huge hobby until I started professionally. Donít get me wrong I still love doing the work itís just not relaxing anymore. I donít come home and play on a machine or the net cause Im doing that 9 hrs of the day. Thatís why I fish and crab to relax. I always sit here and think how nice it would be to crab as a profession all day but you know what they say the grass is always greener on the other side. Sounds like you are thinking about this before you jump right into it GOOD THINKIN Hope all goes well and you find something that you love doing
procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 12:27:56 PM »

if you want to know what commercial crabbing is like:

shove mud and sea nettles down your pants, put on a raincoat and boots on a hot sunny 95 degree day, go jogging for 8 hours straight like this..without a break.  invite a friend to come along for this fun starting at 3 am, if they dont show up, run for 16 hours instead (this is what it is like when your crew doesnt show) be sure to remain in direct sunlight at all times, all the while bathing yourself in rotting bait.   when you are done, take your paycheck from the job you have now and bet it on a roulette wheel.

Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 12:30:39 PM »

if you want to know what commercial crabbing is like:

shove mud and sea nettles down your pants, put on a raincoat and boots on a hot sunny 95 degree day, go jogging for 8 hours straight like this..without a break.

I'd rather crab naked.  Shocked Grin
procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 12:33:36 PM »

I'd rather crab naked.  Shocked Grin

be careful then, crabs like things that look like bull lip shocked2 shocked2

Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2005, 12:36:02 PM »

hahahaha  Grin Grin Grin I gotta be careful about what I say next.... nevermind, the visual is too much for a family board.  Grin Grin Grin
Dave Jr.

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2005, 12:41:42 PM »

Bull Lip!  Now that's funny.  Grin
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005, 12:46:58 PM »

We got the beginnings of a new joke in here somewhere!   Cheesy Grin Grin
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005, 08:07:03 PM »

I'd rather crab naked.† Shocked Grin

Michael would like to crab with you if he can bring the kids along. Grin

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2005, 07:16:08 AM »

Michael would like to crab with you if he can bring the kids along. Grin

You're a sick pup, Doc.  Tongue Grin

Mad Crabber

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2005, 07:28:54 AM »

And then comes the truck payment, boat payment, house payment and kids - did I mention kids and then college and then their weddings. Life costs too much to be a commericial crabber. (no offense to anyone, please).  The  lure of crabbing is tempting but then life gets in the way. besides shoving sea nettles down my pants and whats that about crabs and bull lips..... no way, not this boy!  Grin

the Mad Crabber

The beatings will continue until morale improves!
procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2005, 09:38:22 AM »

just when you think your gonna make it rich, you go broke, and just when you think you are gonna go broke, you make just enough to get by. 

Huckle Berry Blue

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2005, 12:41:32 AM »

Thank you guys so much for sharing your experiences and insight --i always listen to what people have to say and will carefully weigh all of the possibilities
-
---------------------------i got to do something----------------------------------------

yes

i wish i could do something with the blue crab

maybe just maybe

------------the back yard scientist--------------
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 01:02:32 AM by Huckle Berry Blue » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home