April 21, 2019, 02:13:45 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Illegal to Crab in NYC??  (Read 5057 times)
neeko

Ignore
« on: October 03, 2010, 03:23:40 PM »

Was out fishing this morning and got a visit from your friendly neighborhood New York City Urban Park Ranger. (NYC Parks)

I didn't have the new Saltwater License with me so he just gave me a reminder that DEC guys will ticket for that offense.

I also had a dip net with me which I walk around to get the jimmies with. But was told that it is ILLEGAL TO CRAB INSIDE NYC PARKS.

Now I've been visting and revisiting the area for years now and this is the first I've ever heard of such things.

A short visit to the NYCgovparks.org (NYC Parks and Recreation) yielded no results and no said regulations or what not.

I was also told that it is ILLEGAL TO GO CLAMMING inside NYC Parks due to the high mercury levels of such.

I can't for the life of me find any information or laws/regulations to enforce these claims within NYC Parks and I know that the DEC operates in tandem within the areas as well in regards to fishing and other recreational activities. I adhere strictly to DEC guidelines when it comes to my "ME TIME" but with all the new BS especially with the saltwater license, I don't know whats legal and whats not anymore.

Does anyone here  know of any such laws first hand ?

Thank you
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 04:59:02 PM »

Why not just go to the WYE in Maryland? Everyone else does... Roll Eyes  Welcome to the Site...I would think the Ranger would know the law.. I think most inland waters (CREEKS) are closed to shellfish...
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 06:29:40 PM »

It's possible that these fisheries are closed by the health department and not by regulation

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 10:32:31 PM »

It's possible that these fisheries are closed by the health department and not by regulation
No crabbing allowed in a cemetery. Grin Roll Eyes

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
headlessblade

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 12:16:43 AM »

never heard of that law with the crabbing in parks but i know that oysters and such are off limits because of the toxin levels

Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BITE ME

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 12:26:30 AM »

Not only is it  illegal but it usually requires a trip to the drug store afterwards.     laugh

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
neeko

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 12:31:58 AM »

Thanks for the response!

haha. Theres this one spot owned by the parks dept where the Army Corp of Engineers recently did a water quality sample test on and it came back with perfect results.

I've been catching jimmies in this one spot for a long time already and ever since this new Urban Parks Ranger got hired, hes been on my back ever since about it being illegal and what not with no proof but word of mouth.

Its extremely frustrating that theres no wording ANYWHERE and not just that the same guy harrasses me all the time to see my fishing license. I mean the [dang] thing gets renewed annually and you looked it it last week. What are you trying to pull here? ya know what I mean?

Angry
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 01:30:47 AM »

wow....you can get hookers , crack and robbed and murdered there but you can't crab....whats the world coming to?  oh...I guess the end according to the mayan's

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
neeko

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 02:49:07 AM »

yeap :| Guess they were on to something a LONG LONG TIME AGO.

on a side note; can you post a larger photograph of the one from your profile??!!!! that thing looks insane! Did you snag it in the net?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home