Hypothetical

Started by Bdc, October 26, 2010, 08:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bdc

Has anyone ever bagged a deer and when you retrieved it...it was bad? Not in the case of letting it sit over night in warm weather. I'm talking about that there was something wrong with the deer before you shot the deer and upon retrieval you discovered that it was bad. Maybe previously hit by a car or blue tongue or both. Anyone know what the law and ethics requires you to do in that situation?
Little Orca

Big Rad

Quote from: Bdc on October 26, 2010, 08:37:06 AM
Has anyone ever bagged a deer and when you retrieved it...it was bad? Not in the case of letting it sit over night in warm weather. I'm talking about that there was something wrong with the deer before you shot the deer and upon retrieval you discovered that it was bad. Maybe previously hit by a car or blue tongue or both. Anyone know what the law and ethics requires you to do in that situation?
I have hunted numerous control hunts sanctioned and controlled by the Md DNR.  One year there were incidents of hemoragic fever amongst the deer herd.  The instruction we recieved was to notify DNR of any suspect deer harvested.  If in fact the deer was "inedible" a new tag was issued (Bucks) as doe harvests are recorded for population purposes only they needed to be properly disposed of.........
I hear the sound of one hand clapping....you don't??

mayfloat

Had a friend a couple of years ago shoot a doe, he called me and said man you gotta see this thing, brought it to my work,  when he gutted it he said it had the foulest odor you could imagine, was so swollen from infection, had puss and god knows what else oozing out from under the skin when he gutted it. We found a old would on the hide, only thing we can figure it was injured and the infection took over, felt better knowing the deer was out of its misery. Alsp saw a buck last year with an injury from fighting with another deer, had a large puss sack under its hide on its neck that smelled worse than the deers glands that were swollen from the rut. Neither deer got eating, they were not taking a chance eating the deer with that amount of infection in the blood stream!
Stay salty my friends

Bdc

Thanks for input guys. This deer was similar Mayfloat. It had green ooze coming out of the belly closest to the rear and smelled like the worst thing you can imagine. I did not see a wound on it. I did notice the deer limping when it came in. (thought maybe it was hit by a car)The other odd thing was that on one side of it's mouth...it was like the was no lip from it's jaw joint to the front of it's nose. was just bone and red. There was some froth in it's mouth too which coincides with blue tongue. However, it was a lung shot so, the froth could be from that. So mad that I did not take a picture of it. I wanted to drag the deer away from my area but it was so disgusting, I didn't want to touch it even with gloves on. I think I'm moving my food source over the weekend.

Thanks again guys.
Little Orca

CrabDog

yes I shoot one once and same thing green wound on back leg...didn't notice a limp , but it smelled horrible.. it was 15 years ago or so....I assume it was previously shot or hit by a car.......... it was not able to dress or keep the deer.. gang green infection is what it looked like..... DNR did take the deer and issue another tag....
MD / PA Line

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

mdjohn

mayfloat

bdc, to my knowledge blue tonge and chronic wasting disease does not have any exterior signs other than some discoloring around the mouth and the "blue tongue" so to speak, which is basicly lack of oxygen to the blood stream. I could be completely wrong with that last statement but thats the way I understand it. Sounds like it was injured some how to the mouth and maybe the back hit, my bet is it was hit by a car or something. At least the animal isnt suffering, woulda been nice to get it out of your area, but a couple days from now the scavengers will have it cleaned up!
Stay salty my friends

mdjohn

. ;)

muleman88

Shot a doe about 20 years ago and she had been shot with buckshot in her shoulder and vital area. The hole front quarter was stinkin and rotten. I couldnt ( or wouldnt) eat her. Personally I thnk if ya cant hit it with a slug ya shouldnt try to shoot one ( except maybe on the marsh in th frag). 

cullenw08

I've got one walking around a leased property right now with two 2'' or so growths on her shoulder, but shes eating well and doesn't appear to be in any immediate pain or danger. If she was bigger I'd shoot her, but being a medium to small doe I'm still letting her eat my corn and walk around. A few larger does also appear to take care of her and watch out for her in recent sightings.
A bad day crabbing is better than a good day working

R D

Quote from: muleman88 on October 26, 2010, 09:47:54 PM
Shot a doe about 20 years ago and she had been shot with buckshot in her shoulder and vital area. The hole front quarter was stinkin and rotten. I couldnt ( or wouldnt) eat her. Personally I thnk if ya cant hit it with a slug ya shouldnt try to shoot one ( except maybe on the marsh in th frag). 
I am one of those who believes that you should be able to put that bullet behind it's ear,I had 7 hanging in the cooler last season from friends and had to throw away at least half the meat from gut shots and shoulder shots.deer are tough and a lot of wounds will heal up,in processing meat I have found a lot of bullets from being shot earlier.
Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne

captaincrab55

Quote from: mdjohn on October 26, 2010, 11:06:15 AM
sounds like a gut shot

PS - the green bile will ruin any meat it lays on - so I'm told

Where do deer store Bile??
Supporter and Lifetime Member
2B1ask1
Once BANNED for speaking the Truth, but Jack got that corrected.   Thank You to Jack.
TRUST ME !!!!

Bdc

I am familiar with a gut shot. It was NO gut shot. There were no visible wounds to the deer besides the vital shot from my arrow. I believe that it was hit by a car earlier in the year. It was a shame to not be able to harvest the deer. However, I do agree that the deer is out of it's misery...still wish I would have drug it away at leat 100 yards...but man, I think I would still stink from it!! It was funny when I went out yesterday afternoon...I'm smelling my hunting gear and I'm saying "I smell that d%$# deer on me". No- scent washing my gear today...but I think it was just in my head. :laugh:

Little Orca

mdjohn

Any good recipes out there  :laugh:

shedking

That is correct. However deef have no gall. Thus there ability to eat poisionous plants
Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing to help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding.

captaincrab55

Quote from: shedking on October 27, 2010, 09:43:11 AM
That is correct. However deef have no gall. Thus there ability to eat poisionous plants
I'll second that.....
Supporter and Lifetime Member
2B1ask1
Once BANNED for speaking the Truth, but Jack got that corrected.   Thank You to Jack.
TRUST ME !!!!

Big Liar

Before my brother-in-law passed away, he shot three deer one morning at first light.  This was approximately 15 years ago when we had snow on the ground on the eastern shore during deer season.  He first saw two does and when he shot one, deer started running every where under his stand.  He picked a second doe and dropped her.  After a minute or so he saw this 10 point buck just walking away so he dropped it.  When we all got to his stand, we all immediately notice what appeared to be where someone had drug a berlap sack full of something all over the place around his stand.  Long story short, we traced the buck's track back to where he got up from and he had been dragging himself around by his front legs for days.  The entire back half of the deer was green apparently from getting hit by a car.  He only build up enough strength to stand on all fours after the two does were shot right next to him.  Deer are very tough animals that can withstand more than I would ever want to.
Just one of the few bad apples that keeps wizzing in the MSSA's and TF's milk.  Not because I have violations (because I don't'), but because I'm catching the resources that they claim to own and have more rights to.

lefty87

Quote from: Bdc on October 26, 2010, 08:37:06 AM

I shot a buck once that once I got to it, I noticed a funny smell.  It had gangrene on one of its legs due to a plastic ring (trash) got stuck around his leg when he was small and when he got older the leg tried to grow through it.  I just skull capped it, called it in, and let the predators/scavengers have a free meal.  It was a shame to waste it but I wasn't risking myself, but it felt good to put it out of its misery.

rdbeard

here's one. my first bow kill was a 15 pt buck wt. aroun 160 dressed. it came in trailing a doe during the rut. the buck keep trying to mount the doe but she would scoot away at last min. each time. when they finally circled right under my tree i put one throughboth lungs and heart. the doe ran off at the shot and the buck chased her about 40 yds stopped and collapsed. the buck walked on 3 legs the whole time i watched it, could'nt seem to put 1 front leg down. when i walked up i noticed he had a compoud fractured front leg above the elbow. bone sticking through skin completly healed and brown crust sealed over. this is what caused 15 pts., rack was real stange, 1 side staight up the other more like normal. one tough animal with sex on his mind.

Dreampixels

Quote from: shedking on October 27, 2010, 09:43:11 AM

I thougth deef always meant one could not hear?
I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

— Captain A. G. Lamplugh