November 14, 2018, 09:14:48 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crabbing Near VA Beach?  (Read 5531 times)
hollowbob

« on: June 14, 2005, 01:40:23 PM »

I'll be going over to VA beach over the 4th of July... Does anyone know any good crabbing spots down there. All Rec crabbing with some friends.. using handlines and nets, and maybe atrap or two. Any ideas or reccommendations?.. Or also if you know a good place to buy a bushel ifi can't catchem, that'd be good too. thanx
-Bob
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 10:34:34 PM »

TRY THE PIERS OR IF YOU WANT SOME REAL CRABS AND CAN DO THE DRIVE THE GREAT BRIDGE LOCKS PARK BEST PLACE IN THE AREA FOR SOME BIG JIMMIES

BUYING SOME....................BLUE WATER SEAFOOD  CENTERVILLE AND KEMPSVILLE ROAD

LYNNHAVEN SEAFOOD     SHORE DRIVE

shadow

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 06:23:42 AM »

where is THE GREAT BRIDGE LOCKS PARK ?
hollowbob

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 03:15:03 PM »

thanks, the great locks park looks like it might be close enough to make a run., ata bout 20 miles away.. Where are the piers you were talkin about?.. Not the tall piers off the beach? need something closer to the water for a chicken string.

do you think  any of the tributaries off of broad bay or lynnhaven bay /river near seashore state park would be productive at all? It's a little closer to VA beach. Or do you think its too close to the tourist area and all fished out?. I'm just lookin to catch a bushel or two drinkin some bear with some friends for the afternoon

And do you know if VA requires a license for rec crabbing of a bushel or afew dozen? The great bridge lock mentions one http://www.baygateways.net/activities.cfm?id=133   for fishih/crabbin.  Any state i've crabbed in ( md.nj) allow it w/o license for rec. is va different?

thanks much for the info..
lenny

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 03:47:32 PM »

Going to Chincoteague next week
Never Crabbed before, Going with my 9, 7, 4 year boy's and we can't wait!
Where should I go?
What should I know?

hollowbob

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005, 09:25:56 PM »

don't know where u should go, but look for marshy areas near a bridge with those tall grasses with the punks growin on em.. it should be salt water or brackish and you 'll need some chicken legs or necks, i prefer the legs but they're harder to tie a good string too. some people use fish heads, but I've had no luck with those on a string, only heads in comercial traps. and you'll need a net. scoop the crabs up from under and behind them or they'll get away... have fun and bring some bug repellent, wehreever there's crabs there's big GIANT horse flies and skeeters.
jay_dubb2k4

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2005, 09:11:39 PM »

did you make it out to the locks hollow?
i am going to try to make it out there a few time this week.
went out there last tue and didn't do to well.
hollowbob

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2005, 09:25:21 PM »

Yep, I made it out on thursday 7/7/05. We caught about 6 keepers and about 6 more small ones over about 1-2 hours. Met a kid there who caught about 50, but he said he was there from around 9am to about 4. I was using chicken drumsticks and fish heads. the fisheads didn't work at all. Only used strings and a net. The water is pretty black there and you can't see the crabs till there really close to the surface, so we had what felt like a few big ones, that let loose when the bait got close to the surface. good luck.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home