July 18, 2019, 07:54:00 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changes A Comming  (Read 13344 times)
Crabslayer

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter soon to be Java Sea

Ignore
« on: February 11, 2011, 06:21:43 PM »

There are a good number of guys (and gals) on here who also hold a commercial crabbing license.  Wether it be an LCC, CB3, CB6, CB9 or a full blown TFL, there are changes that are comming that will directly affect wether or not you will be able to continue to use them.  An organization know as EDF is working in collaboration with two of the professional watermen organizations in conjunction with DNR to implement what is known as Catch Shares.  What many of you don't know is that they are trying to pretty much drive you out of business.  There are approximately 5,600 licensed commercial crabbers.  If they get their way, you will either be severely limited in what you can catch or you will have to sell your share.  The final goal is to dwindle the number of licenses down to a few and create what they call a full-time industry.  Those of you who hold LCCs should be very familiar as to what took place last year with the active and inactive LCC license.  I urge you to contact your legislator and tell them to put an end to it NOW!

There already is a "Design Team" in place consisting of a few members of county and the two other professional organizations to make the decision for many.  There are far more number of "Independent" watermen (and women) who do not belong to an organization who is not being represented by this so called "Design Team."  Don't let a handful make a decision for your interest.  Get involved and tell them no.  Do not wait until it is too late like last year.

They will tell you that they are not looking to put ANYONE out of business.  Don't believe it.  Thankfully the Florida Keys Gulf coast fishermen voted against it and told EDF to shove it.  Make a stand today...contact your legislator!

This is how it's going to go.  After I kick your A$$ i'm going to run you through the wood chipper and put you in containers in the freezer to use in my crab pots!  The really sad part?  You let an old man kick your A$$!!!
jefftoleft
In Memoriam 02/2017
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 07:03:01 PM »

I'm not a comm. but I looked in to it and found some info on the E.D.F if anybody wants to read it. http://www.edf.org/documents/11457_mwa-newsletter-dec2010.pdf   here is another one interesting reading                     http://www.edf.org/page.cfm?tagID=1530

You will always catch more crabs with a DOT.NET than a DOT.COM
reds
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 07:30:16 PM »

I'm not a comm. but I looked in to it and found some info on the E.D.F if anybody wants to read it. http://www.edf.org/documents/11457_mwa-newsletter-dec2010.pdf   here is another one interesting reading                     http://www.edf.org/page.cfm?tagID=1530

EDF propaganda.

Everywhere catch shares have been implemented, small business loses out.

Catch shares are a way to make the big corporations dominant.

Crabslayer

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 07:34:41 PM »

"Each commercial crabber will have the opportunity to select people to represent their region over the next few months and sit on a 15 person team."

So of the 5,600 licensed crabbers out there...how many of you got the chance to select one of the 15? 

This is how it's going to go.  After I kick your A$$ i'm going to run you through the wood chipper and put you in containers in the freezer to use in my crab pots!  The really sad part?  You let an old man kick your A$$!!!
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 08:07:34 PM »

Define "Catch Shares" so a dumby like me can understand...

EDF propaganda.

Everywhere catch shares have been implemented, small business loses out.

Catch shares are a way to make the big corporations dominant.

I don't see the propaganda... Don't understand the issue's here.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

Crabslayer

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 08:18:33 PM »

Define "Catch Shares" so a dumby like me can understand...
I don't see the propaganda... Don't understand the issue's here.

http://islandfreepress.org/2010Archives/11.10.2010-HereComeCatchSharesHowNOAAAndTheEnvironmentalDefenseFundPlanToDestroyNorthCarolinasWorkingWatermen.html

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 08:31:36 PM »

No.. Define it in 50 words or less. Grin  I got to much to read about NV to be interested in CH's...  Wink Cool

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
reds
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 08:50:32 PM »

No.. Define it in 50 words or less. Grin  I got to much to read about NV to be interested in CH's...  Wink Cool

Might want to take the time to bone up. It'l soon be in a theater near you.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 08:53:23 PM »

Might want to take the time to bone up. It'l soon be in a theater near you.
So.. Explain... Undecided  Once again... Explain it in a few words...

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 08:55:38 PM »

If "catch shares" are a bad thing for Rec's... Explain how... Huh

Seanile
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

WHEN THE CHICKEN NECK DROPS, THE BS STOPS

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 09:03:51 PM »

After reading Ernie Foster's story, one paragraph stands out:

However, when I went to Vancouver to learn about catch shares, I heard incessantly about their great monetary value and that raised a question.  So, I asked the man who developed the Canadian plan, “How could a young person ever become an owner/operator fisherman with this additional expense?”  And he answered after a long pause, “We’re still working on that!”

~ Bruce ~

If a man speaks at sea, where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?
reds
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 09:13:52 PM »

At least one fishing club says there are 3 million Striped Bass fishermen.

If the Total Allowable Catch is 3 million fish per year, that's 1 fish per fisherman per year.
One tag per fisherman. Use the tag and your SOL for the rest of the year.
The example is over simplified as to numbers , but that's how it will work.

Same principle will apply to crabs and other species of fish.

All species will have a TAC divided by number of fishermen.
reds
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 09:15:53 PM »

After reading Ernie Foster's story, one paragraph stands out:

However, when I went to Vancouver to learn about catch shares, I heard incessantly about their great monetary value and that raised a question.  So, I asked the man who developed the Canadian plan, “How could a young person ever become an owner/operator fisherman with this additional expense?”  And he answered after a long pause, “We’re still working on that!”

The young guy, just getting in business doesn't have a chance.
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 11:00:01 PM »

Jack,

Catch shares is and allocating out how much comms and recs can keep.  For comms, its likely to be an unknown precentage less from past harvest history.  For recs, I'll be it won't even be a bushel to a boat, but who knows.

LCC's ARE SCREWED. 
And if you aint got landings, you might as well sell out now, while your still "ahead"

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 09:16:53 AM »

For the most part Jack it will mean smaller catches and shorter seasons,There is a TAC (total allowable catch) divided between recs and commercial with a quota for each according to historic use and when the quota is met or in the case of recreational fishermen estimated to be met that fishery is closed until the next season,if they go over their quota then it is deducted the next season shorting it up even more.

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne

Crabslayer

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 10:25:39 AM »

"On Nov. 4, Eric Schwabb, assistant administrator for fisheries, released the formal NOAA announcement that catch shares are coming to the recreational sector."

Eric Scwabb is the former Deputy Secretary for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources.  He was appointed to his new post by Dr. Jane Lubchenco who is the one driving the Catch Shares issue.  Dr. Lubchenco,   an environmental scientist and marine ecologist worked for EDF.  She was appointed to her post as head of NOAA by President Obama.

Crabslayer

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 10:40:55 AM »

More info.

http://www.gloucestertimes.com/fishing/x1666503922/New-suit-targets-need-for-catch-share-referendum#

capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 10:56:05 PM »

WOW     What a read.  That might explain some things around here.  To much to cover over the computer.  I'll have to explain at Grabbe's.

Ronnie

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
Crabslayer

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 10:37:41 AM »

http://fishery.about.com/b/2010/12/24/demonstration-against-catch-shares-held-in-oregon.htm

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 11:36:23 AM »

Finding all those illegal nets, aint helping your cause here.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home