February 22, 2019, 03:50:43 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changes A Comming  (Read 12864 times)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2011, 01:14:56 PM »

just curious, where are they getting the license for those that are in the apprenticeship program?  The program still exists and the participants have been "promised" (spoken loosely) a license at the end of completion.
If it's like the VMRC, they can do anything they want unless it is Virginia Commonwealth Law.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
captaincrab55
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2011, 01:40:38 PM »

Ok Am I missing something here?
If Maryland is going to "buy back License"
Q1- How will that make or break waterman?

Once the number of Watermen is reduced, the group opposing NOAA or DRN is smaller..   In turn, the number of complaints to Politicians goes down...   

Is NOAA already Guilty??   Decide for yourself: 
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7356343n&tag=related;photovideo

Supporter and Lifetime Member
2B1ask1

TRUST ME !!!!
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2011, 07:49:13 PM »

So what your saying is it has no impact on the pounds of crabs caught or the health of the resource but the number of crabbers that be run over by special intrest groups.

Our goverment at work fo us (them).

Ronnie

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
Seaweed
Supporting Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2011, 08:28:38 PM »

So what your saying is it has no impact on the pounds of crabs caught or the health of the resource but the number of crabbers that be run over by special intrest groups.

Our goverment at work fo us (them).

Ronnie

Well, I don't know about that.  I think their idea is, get back as many licenses as possible, institute catch shares, and pummel the 10 remaining full-time guys into submission, then the whole industry will be extinct in the state of MD.

Git 'r dun!
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2011, 09:33:29 PM »

The Amendment would prevent funds from being expended by NOAA to enact new limited access fishing programs. The Amendment, if H.R. 1 is passed by the Senate and signed into law, would prevent spending on new catch shares programs.

51 Democrats joined 208 Republicans voting in favor of the Amendment.

CRABGUY
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2011, 09:34:15 PM »

http://bore-head007.newsvine.com/_news/2011/02/19/6086228-hb548-passes-video-jones-amendment-to-block-obama-administration-catch-shares-policy-passes-house-of-representatives
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: February 25, 2011, 07:06:15 AM »

No, HR1 has to get thru the senate, then the President has to sign it.  Maybe, the ammendment to stop spending federal money on implimenting catch shares will survive, maybe not.  contact your senator and let them know where you stand

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee
crabster2

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2011, 09:23:22 PM »

Hi Rich. hope all is well. Where are you on this issue? see ya
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2011, 11:05:33 PM »

Hi Herb,  I think NOAA has been out of line with their implementation of shares in other fisheries, and  way over the top with their penalties.  One guy in RI made a paperwork mistake on his report.  He was over limit by something rediculous like 6-9 fish and was fined 120k.  Outrageous.  Then, when the investigation into noaa started, their enforcement chief was caught having a shredding party at the headquarters building.  Shares, as they have been designed elsewhere have caused many smaller fishermen to go out of business.  Not sure that we need or want them here, but I think that there are some aspects that would be good to have, like requirements for accurate reporting.  I will be at every design team meeting, and, while I don't have a seat at the table, I give my input.

IN THIS ECONOMY, I DON'T THINK ANY FEDERAL MONEY SHOULD BE SPENT ON ANY PROGRAMS THAT, BY DESIGN, PUT PEOPLE OUT OF BUSINESS

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

« Reply #129 on: March 31, 2011, 09:09:14 PM »

March 31, 2011

Mr. Russell Garvin

Chesapeake, VA 23324

Dear Mr. Garvin:

Thank you for contacting me in regards to your opposition to catch share program by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association (NOAA). I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on this matter with me.

As you know, catch share is the overall that encompasses a number of different fishery management strategies, all of which allocate a specific portion of the allowable fishery catch to specific entities or individuals each of whom is accountable to stop fishing when their allotment is reached. NOAA now has a policy to encourage the use of catch shares wherever appropriate in fishery management and ecosystem plans. NOAA implemented its catch share policy and guidelines in November 2010.

During the debate and passage of H.R. 1, the continuing resolution that would have funded the government through the rest of fiscal year 2011, an amendment was introduced by Representative Walter Jones (NC-03) that would have prohibited NOAA from using any government funds to develop or implement the new catch share program. This amendment passed with my support and was included as part of H.R. 1. Unfortunately H.R. 1 has not been passed by the Senate.
            I look forward to your continued input as we now work with the Senate and the President on final FY2011 funding and begin work on the FY2012 budget.  For more information on what is happening each week in Congress, please visit http://forbes.house.gov to subscribe to my weekly e-newsletter.  If I may be of assistance to you on this, or any other issue, please visit my website or feel free to contact me in my Washington DC office at (202) 225-6365.  With kind personal regards, I am

Yours truly,

J. RANDY FORBES
Member of Congress
JRF:bh

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home