st johns county -

Started by dwbtd, March 27, 2011, 07:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwbtd

tried Guana river over the weekend and nobody was getting anything - anyone trying the  St Johns river getting any ??

tattoo

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.

SHELLFISH

Never been there but the St. Johns is supposed to very good for Blue Crabs.
Wait till the water warms a bit more and try again!
Good luck and let us know haow you did!
Retired in paradise!

hobo115

Depends how far up the River you went. I have heard that crabbing is only good until you hit lake George. Any further than tha and you wont get blue crab. Might be a bit early though.

dwbtd

I would think by Lake George it would be fresh water - so I'm more around the Palatka area - tried last night right at the us17 bridge and nothing - seems like it is pretty fresh water but I see floats so must be some in here

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

hobo115

Lake George is mostly fresh water. But for some reason, there is supposedy a big crab population in there. Maybe just drive to the intercoastal water way if you arent getting anything in the river.

saltysenior

years ago i bought the biggest,beautifully colored blue crabs at salt springs, fl........caught in salt springs run,100% spring water..........but,no taste to them

dwbtd

that is interesting about the fresh water - wonder if the ones out of St Johns taste different - if I could just catch some I'd find out :) - going to try the inter-coastal this weekend and will see if have any luck - question should I try at low tide or high ??
thanks

budmaster

St Johns River crabs do taste different than those caught in the Intracoastal.  Sometimes they do seem to have no flavor.  Last year during the shrimp run, St Johns provided some of the best tasting crabs I ever had.

Two weeks ago I had a good catch (6-8 crabs per pot) in the Welaka area.  They were small.  About 50% female.

dwbtd

were they out in the deeper water?? - never crabbed on the river so trying to learn what to do
thanks
doug

saltysenior

what method are u trying to catch crabs with ???

dwbtd

my wife loves to do the string and chicken method and since that gets her fishing with me I'm all for it - I also have some pots I've not put out yet -

also tried the intercoastal today and got only a few but they were nice size - that was in about 3' of water so not sure it too deep ??

did notice the pots were closer in then last trip - so do they move in with the warmer weather??
thanks for any and all info