October 22, 2020, 08:06:13 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Largest crab caught!!!!!!!!  (Read 13919 times)
fred

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2005, 01:53:57 PM »

c-mofo, i understand that you stopped commercially crabbing after that year, but what i wondered was if that catch in deeper water was rare.  Have you ever tried it that area again after that day?
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2005, 02:47:27 PM »

http://www.blue-crab.org/forum/index.php/topic,15.0.html

AND THE REST IS HISTORY
Tuarus

WOW CRABS! WHAT COULD BE BETTER OH YEAH MORE CRABS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2005, 03:10:12 PM »

BIGGEST I REMEMBER CATCHIN WAS ABOUT 7 1/2 OVER AT THAMES RIVER.  THAT WAS MANY YRS AGO WHEN I WAS AROUND 11.

New Britain, CT
crabbinmofo

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2005, 03:42:12 PM »

c-mofo, i understand that you stopped commercially crabbing after that year, but what i wondered was if that catch in deeper water was rare. Have you ever tried it that area again after that day?

Fred,

First, let me say that crabbing in a marked channel is not legal in MD.  We were just beyond the marked channel, so we were okay legally, but realistically it was only possible because of the time of day (0530) and the weather (too rough for small craft).  That area normally had too much traffic to be safely crabbed as far as I was concerned.  So beware of crabbing in 'channels', they normally have a high concentration of boat activity, especially larger boats.

As to catching in deeper water being rare, that has not been my experience.  I do very little crabbing in water less than 7 feet deep and do okay.   When the water is less that that, my line comes up too far in front for me to be able to easily reach the crabs before they get too close to the surface.  Mostly 10' - 15' is what I look for.

I guess the things that makes it easier to run a line in deeper water is having long anchor ropes and good floats.  I usually try spots that are along the edge of a dropoff with the tide running hoping to catch crabs either going to or from the deeper water.  My experience has been that deeper water has bigger crabs.

I could go on, but this is getting somewhat off-topic.

C-mofo

Of the 2 things for which you can wake me in the middle of the night, crabs is one of them.
fred

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2005, 03:44:41 PM »

Thanks c-mofo on sharing your experience.  I experience the same thing also by catching bigger crabs in deeper depths.  Good talking with you.   Smiley

crabbinmofo

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2005, 03:53:17 PM »

Fred,

Good luck to you.

C-mofo

Of the 2 things for which you can wake me in the middle of the night, crabs is one of them.
i_got_crabs

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2005, 12:18:40 AM »

The largest crab I have ever caught has not yet been caught.

its the Mumbo of all Mumbos. the 20+ incher that lives in the dark brackish bay waters. I seek him, year after year, season after season.. I caught a glimpse of him once, it was truly awsome. (my buddy said it was a shopping bag and I was a lil.. okay I was drunk but never you mind that  Grin).. I was like.. OOOOOOOOOOO SH lipsrsealed2 T.

Some of you may have alredy had him in your trap and thought it was a skate or a turtle. Or mabey he had a hold of your trot line and you thought it was snagged.. ever tie a trap securly to the pier and then when you go to pull it, it gone Huh  bad knot? nope, trust me, it was the MUMBO

I'm on the hunt  rifle Like Brody and Quint, and your going to need a bigger boat. (Farewell and ado to you fare Spanish Ladies, Farewell and ado to you ladies of Spain - for weve received orders to sail back to boston, and so never more shall I see you again)
itsacrab

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2005, 12:40:55 PM »

Hi, I have been reading all these crab catches, and I would like to know where there is a boat ramp at or near the Wye river, I can't seem to find any on the map.  If anyone could tell me it would be great.
   Thanks,  Julie 
crabbinmofo

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2005, 03:58:29 PM »

Julie,

There is a public landing and a boat rental at the end of Wye Landing Rd.

Here's a link that shows a map of the location ==>

At the top of the page, click "Directions" and you can get directions to the ramp.

You can also zoom in or out, switch to an aerial photo, or drag the map or photo by right-click and hold then move the mouse.

C-mofo

madcrab

Say hello to my littl' friend!!

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2005, 03:20:33 PM »

crabbing mofo...that's the spot I always crab when I go down to Annapolis!! Grin  Yep...I've caught some huge crabs from there too.  Biggest one I've caught down there was 8 3/4".  Caught a few 8 3/4" crabs down the Wye last September. 

"...as a free man, I take pride in saying, I am a doughnut."

crabbinmofo

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2005, 03:44:28 PM »

Madcrab,

I haven't been there since about 1975 or so.  As I said, I let my CCL expire.  It was getting too hectic in the area to run a 1/2 mile line and anthing shorter just wouldn't have been profitable.  I'm comfortable in the recreational world now and stick to lower/slower traffic areas near home where I don't have to travel far.

If you can successfully crab in that area now, my hat is off to you.  It has to be a real challenge with all of the traffic.  But when the wind blows from the NNE and the advisories are up, I often wonder 'maybe if I...'  No way!!  It was a once in a lifetime thing that I was fortunate enough to experience.  I don't think lightning could strike the same place twice...but them again... Wink

C-mofo

madcrab

Say hello to my littl' friend!!

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2005, 03:12:59 PM »

Yep...I don't have a big boat...in fact my boat is just dam-n small (12').  When the wind kicks up around there, I move to the mouth of Back Creek (where I put in from shore).  There are some big crabs in that area....that's for sure. Cool

"...as a free man, I take pride in saying, I am a doughnut."

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home