June 23, 2018, 02:04:38 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Dredge Survey Report  (Read 20517 times)
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 04:55:17 PM »

spring crabs may be a lil small if 30% of the adult crabs died...might have to wait awhile for some good numbers of good quality crab ... Embarassed

Your Putting too much Faith in the State Studies... Roll Eyes
phillyfireman
Lifetime Member

love crabbing and elk hunting

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 05:01:06 PM »

spring crabs may be a lil small if 30% of the adult crabs died...might have to wait awhile for some good numbers of good quality crab ... Embarassed

Time will tell my friend  Wink      the survey is just a general indicator of our crab population. Nothing should be derived from the survey except a general indicator of trends in the population. my 2 cents. this year its an overall positive finding.  Smiley
skiff1700

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 05:58:08 PM »

it is going to be a wetter and cooler spring than normal, last year we got spoiled by warm/hot dry spring that brought cabs as far north as the 95 bridge on the susky river. the cold moved in fast and stuck around, really hasnt left since october. look for more fresh water coming, the conowingo dam had 15 spill gates open yesterday and 13 today thats a lot of fresh cold water rolling into the bay. this also has effects on fish and the spawn the hickory shad have been lathargic and the american shad have yet to show up its going to be a strange year for sure. i just want to get on the water and have fun!! rain,rain go away!!   
badbean

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 06:26:17 PM »

Survey Conducted By Maryland, Virginia
 April 19, 2011

ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- An annual winter dredge survey of the Chesapeake Bay says a cold winter has hurt the crab population, but the population is still one of the highest in more than a decade.

The survey released Tuesday shows that the crab population is at 460 million, down from more than 650 million in last year's survey.

The Department of Natural Resources said nearly one third of the bay's adult crabs were lost to cold weather, compared to about 11 percent last year.

"Quite clearly, this year presented a perfect storm," said Dr. Tom Miller, professor of fisheries at the University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science. "It was warmer than normal going into the winter, got cold rapidly in early December and then stayed very cold and below average from mid-December to the beginning of February. Any one of these would have caused increased mortality, but in combination, they were exactly what we didn't need."

However, state officials said the population is still at its second-highest level since 1997 and above target levels for the fishery.

Through a historic collaboration in 2008, Maryland, Virginia and the Potomac River Fisheries Commission (PRFC) took coordinated action to reduce harvest pressure on female crabs by 34 percent. At that time, scientists from all three jurisdictions deemed conservation measures necessary as blue crabs suffered near historic lows in spawning stock.

"The Bay’s blue crab population is healthy and now is showing signs of resiliency, thanks to our stock rebuilding efforts with our Maryland partners," said Steven G. Bowman, Commissioner of the Virginia Marine Resources Commission. "We cannot control the weather. It was a harsh winter and crab mortality was higher than normal. In fact, it was the worst we’ve seen since 1996. Thankfully, we acted when we did in 2008 to begin rebuilding the crab population, or the crab census results we see today would be grim indeed."

With the summer crab season just around the corner, the Captain James Crabhouse in Baltimore said it's grateful that state officials have sustained the crab population.

"If we have more crabs, the prices go lower," said Bill Tserkis of Captain James Crabhouse.

Officials said the harvest last year was also below the 46 percent target level set to maintain a healthy population.

The dredge survey is conducted by Maryland and Virginia and is the most comprehensive look at the bay's crab population.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin (attributed)

Lord please help me become the person my dog thinks I am!
fisheyed

It gets in the blood

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 07:03:56 PM »

So how do you comms  justify the dramatic increase in crab numbers immediately after the catch restrictions?  They are working let em alone.  Soon you will be complaining that there are too many crabs and you can't get a good price for them.  Always seems like a lot of bitching and moaning yet you keep doing it.  Wonder why? $$$ can still be made but don't let on. Shut up and crab and adapt to a changing marketplace/conditions like the rest of businesses.

Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2011, 08:26:55 PM »

So how do you comms  justify the dramatic increase in crab numbers immediately after the catch restrictions?  They are working let em alone.  Soon you will be complaining that there are too many crabs and you can't get a good price for them.  Always seems like a lot of bitching and moaning yet you keep doing it.  Wonder why? $$$ can still be made but don't let on. Shut up and crab and adapt to a changing marketplace/conditions like the rest of businesses.

You said it yourself.  A significant improvement was made in the population the very next year.  To me, it should have taken a little longer to see a sign the regs were working....but thats DNR for you.

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 08:29:22 PM »

Also, the dredge survey could be a [curd] shoot anyway.  Bouncing dredge, not enough line on the dredge to let it get a good bite, etc.  Its all we got but the dredge itself could play a big factor in determining the population.

redhanded

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2011, 09:01:57 PM »

I had heard that here were a lot of crabs found during the survey. I heard this 3rd hand but in some locations there were so many crabs they simply counted to a certain point then stopped, there were so many crabs
I would love to know the full process for the dredge surveys. I have read hat there are 1500 different sites dredged but what happens to all the crabs dreged up? Are they thrown back, sold, given to the hungery
There is a lot of publicity put on the conservation of the Big 3 spiecies in the bay Crabs, Rockfish, and oysters. If more of that effort was put on conserving the stocks of baitfish and the excess nutrient runoff the rest of it will fall into place.
genecrabman

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2011, 10:15:55 PM »

I had heard that here were a lot of crabs found during the survey. I heard this 3rd hand but in some locations there were so many crabs they simply counted to a certain point then stopped, there were so many crabs
I would love to know the full process for the dredge surveys. I have read hat there are 1500 different sites dredged but what happens to all the crabs dreged up? Are they thrown back, sold, given to the hungery
There is a lot of publicity put on the conservation of the Big 3 spiecies in the bay Crabs, Rockfish, and oysters. If more of that effort was put on conserving the stocks of baitfish and the excess nutrient runoff the rest of it will fall into place.

When you start worrying about "BAIT FISH" Stocks.............Your starting to look anti-Commercial...Crab Potters depend on the Bunker... Roll Eyes
redhanded

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2011, 01:35:17 AM »

GEne   I can asure you I'm not anti-commercial. Baitfish was a poor use of words for my thoughts basically if you take care of the entire ecosystem from the zooplankton on up the whole system will be better off then just worrying about the top "cash crops" of the bay.

Fix the water in the bay and you won't have spend countless millions decade after decade trying to patch up the stacks of fish and shellfish.
To give you an idea the susky has looked like Nesquik for 6 of the last 8 weeks and it's one of, if not the largest source of fresh water for the bay. 

Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2011, 04:16:03 AM »

The above sounds like it belongs on toiletfish.  I thought this was a good discussion here.  Didn't realize it had turned into a comm gripe session.  As my apprentice would say, 'my bad'

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee
genecrabman

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2011, 04:53:00 AM »

GEne   I can asure you I'm not anti-commercial. Baitfish was a poor use of words for my thoughts basically if you take care of the entire ecosystem from the zooplankton on up the whole system will be better off then just worrying about the top "cash crops" of the bay.

Fix the water in the bay and you won't have spend countless millions decade after decade trying to patch up the stacks of fish and shellfish.
To give you an idea the susky has looked like Nesquik for 6 of the last 8 weeks and it's one of, if not the largest source of fresh water for the bay. 

I just think you should know that when you mentioned the "BIG 3"..........I'd be willing to bet you there are more Bunkers Landings in Maryland then Rockfish or oyster landings BY FAR,,,,Bait fishing is way bigger than you'd ever think........Because theres Plenty of em..
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2011, 06:36:39 AM »

Most of us give the credit where it's due,rain at the right times,places and right amounts plus being on the upswing of the cycle,hopefully for y'all that wasn't the top,nothing DNR does affect your crab population and they just proved that to all if they admit that you lost 1/3 of the adult crab population in the bay this winter due to weather events,as Reds said this winter wasn't near as bad as they were back in the 70s when they thought we were going into a mini ice age.

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
fisheyed

It gets in the blood

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2011, 11:10:16 AM »

1) It was the speed of the cold snap not the temps that have the biggest effect.  Case in Point the huge spot kill in Jan. mio bay.
2) Immediate effect- In crease in population each year after the restrictions.  Crabs are a high fucundity species they reproduce rapidly adn we saw the largest increase in small crabs.  So this would make sense given the restrictions. 
3) so much for the "not enough males to properly inseminate female" theory

Bottom line do you feel the current restrictions of females have adversly effected your business or is it more the economic condition?

Mr. Breeze you have done an excellent job of providing a superior product to the marketplace and cultivated a way to get what you deserve for this product.  I am sure it has taken a LOT of work to do this and I hope you are seeing the results.

RD you have also done a lot of hard work to get your business and make it productive.  It can't be easy to get up all night long for the softies and do all of the other things necessary to make the business run.

Many other comms have taken it upon themselves to adapt to changes.  It is frustrating as a recreational crabber to hear how the restrictions are destroying commercial waterman's ability to to make a living when we see what happens when a species is overharvested and how great things can be when the overharvesting slows/stops. 
fisheyed

It gets in the blood

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2011, 11:19:14 AM »

RD in response to the 1/3 loss.  I am not sure exactly the point you are trying to make.  It sounds to me like even with the 1/3 loss there are still more crabs than before then things are working. I can't see how anyone can argue that thing got bettrer when dredging stopped and Female restrictions were put in place.

How many are lost each year due to environmental factors.  If it is usually 1/4 and now it was 1/3 then it just sounds sensational but was in reality only a little worse.

Alsaka seems to have a pretty good handle on fisheries management and so does maine for lobster.  Are you allowed to take females in these fisheries? And if so, how are they restricted?

Bottom line as a recreational crabber I have been happy to see an increase in crab numbers. With a 6% increase in Rec crabbers last year there will be more crabbers on the water.  Why not sell rec crabbing supplies.  ( Some in N. Baltimore have opened a store and it seems to be going well)

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2011, 11:39:07 AM »

RD in response to the 1/3 loss.  I am not sure exactly the point you are trying to make.  It sounds to me like even with the 1/3 loss there are still more crabs than before then things are working. I can't see how anyone can argue that thing got bettrer when dredging stopped and Female restrictions were put in place.

How many are lost each year due to environmental factors.  If it is usually 1/4 and now it was 1/3 then it just sounds sensational but was in reality only a little worse.

Alsaka seems to have a pretty good handle on fisheries management and so does maine for lobster.  Are you allowed to take females in these fisheries? And if so, how are they restricted?Bottom line as a recreational crabber I have been happy to see an increase in crab numbers. With a 6% increase in Rec crabbers last year there will be more crabbers on the water.  Why not sell rec crabbing supplies.  ( Some in N. Baltimore have opened a store and it seems to be going well)

fisheyed

I have to disagree with you about the alaska fisheries.  If you watched deadliest catch (the first episode of this season), it was clearly stated that the numbers of crab is DOWN and that the number of crabbers has dropped because of it.  Keep in mind, this is a catch shares fishery and does not allow female catches.  I watched it again last night just to make sure I heard it correctly.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
fisheyed

It gets in the blood

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2011, 11:43:07 AM »

Well I guess alaska has some more work to do but they did open the blue crab fishery this year and the polick seem to be able to withstand the netting up to this point.  They also have a pretty good salmon run
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2011, 12:09:29 PM »

Wow are you serious about alaska?  When they went to catch shares they went from about 200 boats to 80. That's for crabs.  If you like that management style I guess they are doing good.....

fisheyed

It gets in the blood

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2011, 12:19:57 PM »

that was also instated due to rising concerns over safety in the derby format.  Many crabbers SOLD their rights to other vessels or lease their rights out. 

Any comments on the other issues/ points or will you be using this lone statement as a diversionary tactic?
Crabslayer

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2011, 01:06:14 PM »

that was also instated due to rising concerns over safety in the derby format.  Many crabbers SOLD their rights to other vessels or lease their rights out.  

Ahhh...must be drinking the EDF KOOLAID!   Ask those that sold if they wanted to.  Wink

Do you really want a guy who taxed the rain in the White House?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home