November 21, 2018, 05:19:30 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: selling blue crab in okaloosa county florida area  (Read 14732 times)
wannabecrabgirl

Ignore
« on: May 22, 2011, 06:15:11 PM »

just wondering what find of license are needed  to catch and sell blue crab in the okaloosa county Florida area? I've been looking for local crabbers to ask my questions to but i haven't found any. we catch blue crab in the area recreationally all the time. I'm wondering how do i go about catching and selling them, who do I sell them to? where is a good place to buy crab bait, fish guts, chicken etc. cheap here locally? Do buyers only want certain size crabs here, do the crabs have to be a certain size to keep?How much would a 5 gallon or 10 gallon bucket of crab sell for, for example. trying to figure out if there is a market here for blue crab and if a person could make a living at it ?
ACFISHERIES

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »

RD I wish they would bring those things back....but im pretty sure hoop nets are still allowed on the st johns river and catfish traps.....by the way they are killing the crabs there now from what I here....anyway the FWC can regulate equipment and sizes of fish and crabs all day long what they cant regulate is people doing it....crabbing is a lawful occupation and its written in our state constitution as a right to persue any lawful occupation or vocation you choose....drug dealer would be unlawful lol.......I mean the way they did the stone crabs is legal because they defined an amount of traps and let the fishermen sell the trap tags.....the blue crab program limits the amount of people not traps well not traps directly....if it were challenged in court on that issue you would win....I know a bunch of part timers sitting on extra licenses not using them and theres our once a week crabbers fishing 100 pots with a license that says they can have 600 plus 200 offshore .....thats not right.....and all of those commercial guys that didnt have landings to qualify for a  license lost their endoresments.....now a crabber can mullet fish and everything else but those disenfranchised fishermen cant go crabbing
A panel of blue crabbers from across the state put together that plan just like a panel of stone crabbers wrote their own plan. If they didn't have landings thats their own fault. All those disenfranchised mullet fishermen(like myself) had 10 years or so to start crabbing. If you want to start crabbing, I'll sell you an endorsement and you can fish up to 1000 traps ( it'll cost you less than 1000 stone crab certificates, I promise).

Good dogs, Rotgut whiskey, All the BS you can stand
liveoffthesea

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 09:31:54 PM »

so the only way to be legal blue crab fisherman right now is to buy an endorsement from someone who holds one of these elusive golden ticket? 

forgive me, i am new to the business side of crabbing.

mind on a permenant vacation, the ocean is my only medication, wishing my condition ain't ever gonna go away...
ACFISHERIES

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 05:18:21 AM »

so the only way to be legal blue crab fisherman right now is to buy an endorsement from someone who holds one of these elusive golden ticket?  

forgive me, i am new to the business side of crabbing.
  In a nutshell, yes... There are some other stipulations on your obtaining a restricted species endorsment on your Saltwater Products License,. Go to myfwc.com and follow the links on commercial fishing
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 08:10:49 AM by jack1747, Reason: fixed tag » Logged

Good dogs, Rotgut whiskey, All the BS you can stand
liveoffthesea

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 04:35:21 PM »

thank you , I am going to read further into it on myfwc.com now. 

mind on a permenant vacation, the ocean is my only medication, wishing my condition ain't ever gonna go away...

liveoffthesea

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 04:59:54 PM »

ok - let me see if I have all this straight...

I would need an SPL (plus a commercial vessel registration for the boat) and because I intend to fish less than 100 traps, I would need a VN endorsement - plus the RS endorsement.  Right so far?

In order to legally sell my catch to -

a) a retail market - I would need a Wholesale Dealers license
b) direct to the consumer - I would need a Retail Dealers license

Is this right as well?

Is that all I need? 

thanks so much for any help and advice.

R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 12:24:24 AM »

VN endorsements are done,they were issued to displaced net fishermen for 100 traps and are non transferable.You can not sell saltwater products you harvested directly to the consumer with out a wholesale license as any saltwater product caught has to be sold to a wholesale dealer from the harvester.

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
liveoffthesea

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 05:28:01 PM »

thank you RD

bigidaman

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 06:13:30 PM »

You can not sell saltwater products you harvested directly to the consumer with out a wholesale license as any saltwater product caught has to be sold to a wholesale dealer from the harvester.
[/quote]

dumbest thin i've ever heard.
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 08:09:01 AM »

You can not sell saltwater products you harvested directly to the consumer with out a wholesale license as any saltwater product caught has to be sold to a wholesale dealer from the harvester.

dumbest thin i've ever heard.
Why?The dealer is the one responsible for the trip tickets and more important the quaility of the seafood being sold as then his name is on the invoice.

- John Wayne

liveoffthesea

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 11:31:13 AM »

RD -

I read on myfwc.com  that 'Blue Crab Endorsement Transfers' can be made between May 1 and Feb 28 -  Does this info sound right to you?  Thanks so much.

R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 11:36:42 PM »

I think thats right,they just changed it starting this year.

- John Wayne
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 10:36:51 AM »

You didn't miss anthing important Art.   Cool

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print