September 20, 2019, 06:30:55 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trot Lines and Trap Lines  (Read 2374 times)
Bdc

Ignore
« on: June 29, 2005, 12:37:13 PM »

Question for all you Maryland crabbers:

Do all of you run trot lines and lines of traps? Do any of you stay stationary when you crab and just move from spot to spot?
Just curious. Maybe i need to change my tactics.
Bdc

Little Orca
Felinis

Live Long and Prosper

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 01:06:05 PM »

They usually start out with traps, then build trotlines when they get really serious.
Both require constant movement to pull and check traps/lines.
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 03:56:16 PM »

Some people do both lines and traps.  I prefer trotlines only, but thats just me.  A trotline covers a lot of ground, but if the crabs aren't there, you've got to move it, which takes time and effort when you should be catching crabs. Thats why you need more than one trotline.  I usually catch 2/3 on one line, and 1/3 on the other, thats just the way it seems to work.

Git 'r dun!
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 04:37:43 PM »

I do fine with my traps (25 - 30), may be a little more work and take more time to fill the bushel, but just being on the water is half the fun. Not interested in making a trotline at this time. Wink Then again sometimes the results are better. Grin

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
Fishfishburn

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 06:36:52 PM »

Trotline is the way to go. I use 1000' and 25 traps. I would say the ratio is 85% caught on trotline.
A trotline only takes about .5 hour to pick up and relay. I'll lay my line in one spot and the traps in the other. I move the other where the craps are. Everyone says the crabs are hit or miss. To a point they are, but I can't remember the last time I didn't at least land a bushel. Good Luck to All. Its crazy out there.

F.I.sherman

Is bin laden still enjoying his bahama's vacation?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 06:56:18 PM »

i stopped using traps cause thier worthless.
whenever i put out a trotline im always garanteed a great catch.
as far as hit or miss i never had that problem.
its best to mark the area your in with gps and a depth finder to avoid hit or miss.
find the dropoffs and such.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 07:35:52 PM »

Well I guess traps are as worthless as the people using them. People think you just throw the trap in and you pull it up and there should be crabs in there. Well the people that i have watched that drive to the traps without slowing down and then putting the gear in neutral before they pick up the trap, or pick them up with the current instead of against the current end up dragging the traps, pulling them under the boat and don't do so well. And alot of that comes from impatience to take your time. And if you can't find the crabs a trotline won't help you either. Most of the people I know who use traps do very well. I have also seen alot of good trotliners get skunked too. Bottom line is if they are not jumping in the boat and you can't find them I don't care what you use, it won't make a difference. It all comes down to personal preference and like Solomon says some people are better skilled with one method vs. the other. Wink Cool Cool Cool And they should stick to the method they are good at that gives them the best results. Wink

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
#1 JIMMY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 09:39:46 PM »

BDC, I think you mean anchoring a boat in one spot and just crab from the boat without driving around. that is how I do it and if you are near a good batch of crabs they will migrate to your traps or handlines. Granted the guys who use  a lot of traps and scatter them around will probably catch more but what the heck I look at crabbing as fun and that driving from trap to trap is a lot of work. Where I crab in the Shrewsbury River in the fall if the crabs are there just throw anchor I will throw another off the stern to lock the boat in place and throw out my 6 traps and a few handlines and bang a bushel is easy. Is that how you crab?
mrscharms
Lifetime Member

I REALLY LOVE crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 11:25:16 PM »

This is an interesting post to me...I am dying to trotline...and I actually made one...but the thoughts about the depth changes and such kind of scare me...as well as being able to pick them up..this is the first year out on my own boat and just getting it in and out of the water is a challenge for me.  I think I shall stick to my regular lines..no traps...I love to feel the pull of the crab on the other end of the line.  Maybe I'll let trotlining go until next year, when I am more experienced!

And yes, we went out today in that rough water...I've never been through such rough water in my whole life..it was an experience..no crabs!  Kids got quite a tumble tubing and I wasn't driving the boat...Bobby was..he came home unexpectedly for a couple of days....The weekend looks nice and calm...I am just waiting for my first pull of at least a dozen keepers.

Janice
Bdc

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 09:55:12 AM »

#1 jimmy,

Yes, that is how i crab...and i agree, i love crabbing b/c it's fun. The other ways seem like a lot of work. However, the people who do use lines and lines of traps are experienced and have a system so, to them it's fun doing it that way. I would love to learn how to do that but i would prefer to do it down in maryland where the biggins are. You answered my question and thanks for the response...Shrewsberry river....where's that ....north?

-Bdc

Little Orca

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home